It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

As a UK resident, I thought it might be interesting to explain some of the terms we use in our cold and rainy land. Contrary to popular U.S, belief, we do not all live within sight of Buckingham Palace, talk like Dick Van Dyke in 'Mary Poppins' or work as Beefeaters in the Tower of London. And by the way, you bought the wrong bridge from us, the one you wanted was TOWER Bridge. We are still laughing over that one. So here goes, we shall start the ball rolling with.....

CHASING THE DRAGON or BOOTING
This was my own preferred method of taking heroin, and is pretty well known to most people. However I realise that many of you will never have taken smack in your lives so here is a brief description.
The powdered drug is placed on a smooth, flat sheet of tinfoil, and heated with a flame until it liquefies. The blob is then run back and forth by tilting the sheet, and the fumes are inhaled through a tube, usually also made of a roll of tinfoil. It takes a bit of practise to do this properly, as it is very easy to burn right through the foil and either set light to the drug or splash it all over your leg.Molten heroin is much hotter than say, candle wax and will remove skin even through the thickest denim. Used tubes are often saved for the following morning, as they collect a certain amount of residue, or 'pickup'. Some people actually prefer the pickup , as they believe that most of the cut has been burnt out, leaving a stronger hit of heroin behind. This may simply be a fallacy, but I susbscribe to it personally.
Chasing the Dragon is also widely believed to be 'less addictive' than injecting......LESS???? I have no idea what that means. You're either an addict or you aint, there's no halfway house. (again this is only my humble opinion, so please don't start shouting at me.)

DIGGING or JABBING
These are two obvious terms for injecting heroin (or indeed any injectable substance). This has always filled me with deepest horror, and I HAVE LOST SEVERAL AQUAINTANCES TO IT OVER THE YEARS. Only the poorest and most desperate people resort to this, as it apparently makes your gear go further. I don't know if this is really true as the only people I could ask are all DEAD.

JIMMY
This is a cockney rhyming slang term for the aluminium foil that heroin is smoked on, It derives from a Scottish gangster of the 1960's, JIMMY BOYLE ( rhyming with foil obviously). This gentleman was renowned for the excessive violence he used in order to reclaim the cash owed to him, frequently slashing faces with razors or breaking a limb or two. He spent several years in jail, and was responsible for the so-called 'dirty protests' against beatings from prison guards, during which he and fellow inmates smeared themselves and their cells with their own excrement so that no warder would dare to touch them. A tv movie was made about his life in the 1980's, 'A Sense of Freedom', and he subsequently went on to become a councellor for ex-convicts within the British welfare system.

BEETLE
This is the melted blob of heroin , ready to be run on the foil. When heated, smoking gear melts and turns reddish to dark brown, or even black, depending on the strength and type of cut. If it is very light red and transparent, this usually indicates a high proportion of MANNITOL. If it doesnt run at all, you have bought a bag of BRICK DUST.

DF118.
This is a codeine based painkiller, prescription only. Addicts love these, as you can easily ride out a period of no drugs/no money on them. They generally come in two types, a 30mg round tablet, and a 60 mg time released caplet. Either is most acceptable in an emergency. If an addict is in police custody for any length of thime, the police doctor will commonly administer these once withdrawal sets in. I have known guys to get busted on purpose, just for a night in the cells and a couple of df's. I myself was taking 12 of the 60mg caplets and smoking 1 gram of smack daily at the height of my own addiction, for a period of about 8 months.

SYRUP, PHYSEPTONE or LINCTUS
All names for the same thing, METHADONE. Not having any personal experience of this stuff, I will only say that my own drug councellor would not prescribe it to me for fear of worsening my breathing problems. Besides, all my friends acted like total arseholes on it, so I never really wanted it anyway. One aquaintance of mine has been prescribed Methadone for the last 22 YEARS, and still smokes a bag a day on top. I will refrain from further comment.

JELLIES
These are Temazepam gel caps, about the size and shape of a peanut MnM. They are dark green in colour, and some people use them to get to sleep when they are withdrawing. I don't like any of the benzo drugs myself, I can never remember what I did the night before. Horrible muck IMHO.

CLUCKING or RATTLING
These are both names for the same thing i.e. WITHDRAWAL. I have no idea why it is called CLUCKING, unless it derives from the same source as the term COLD TURKEY, which is meant to allude to the GOOSE pimples on your arms and legs when coming off. Sounds pretty damn FOWL to me.....

RIDING THE BIKE
This is exactly the same as kicking the habit, so called because of the way your legs twitch when in withdrawal. Incidentally, I frequently rode a bike to my local dealers, when I had money for either gear or gas, but not both. As usual, the gear always won, yet another example of twisted drug induced priorities. The journey back was always much faster than the journey there ( or was it the other way round? hmmmm I can't really say...)

GOWCHING
I believe this is the same as the American term NODDING. It simply means the act of falling asleep after, or even sometimes during the taking of a dose of heroin. I have gowched out many a time at friends houses, awakening later quite unaware of the lipstick, eyeshadow and rude words (e.g. I AM A C**T) which they applied to my face and forehead while I was asleep. Beware of gowching in company, as it can lead to an entertaining journey home.

There are no doubt many more phrases and terms peculiar to the UK that may seem amusing to you Sherman Tanks across the pond, but it's now 6.08 am and my brain is drawing the curtains and turning off the lights, so I will do likewise and retire to bed. I hope that this has been enlightening despite my poor attempts at humour ( or HUMOR as you insist upon spelling the word). Goodnight, and love to you all,
Sneaky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Really who gives a shit. I think your in the wrong forum who wants to read about the stupid sayings we used when getting high. This is a place to talk about methods of living a clean and meaningful life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Easy Ronnie it didn't seem like Sneaky meant any harm. I myself was pretty interested and I got a good chuckle out of some of the terms. Besides your accounts of using are anything but flattering and I can say I've had the unfortunate experience of nodding off a few times as well. I really relate though to those aweful walks over to the dealers house where I was so sick, I was cold/hot at the same time, my bones hurt SO BAD. It really just helped me remember how horrible using really is and how I don't ever want to go back. I thought your post was really funny too so I appreciate it SneakyElephant I'm glad you're here with us :D I hope you feel free to keep us up to date on the goings on across the "pond" (atlantic ocean).

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Reply to comments
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:15 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Firstly, thank you Matt2 for the welcome and kind comments. This forum is the first place I have ever found where I can talk about my past life without feeling censured in some way by the listener. My post was in the nature of catharsis rather than just a cheap comedy routine. However, I subscribe to the belief that my sense of humour is the one thing that enabled me to grasp life with both hands and cling to it, even after some truly horrible experiences which I still do not feel ready to share yet. I am sure that many people on these forums can relate, even at a distance of several thousand miles.
RonSr79 thank you also. You are free to read or ignore my comments as you see fit. I will surely welcome any further criticism from you, and if we are ever invited to the same party I shall certainly seek you out in the kitchen. You may appreciate the company.
Thanks once again,
Sneaky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ronnie, you need to please chill out. I know your posting style is kinda brusque and I've cut you some slack because usually the other members seem to handle your antics pretty well...but it is getting old.

If you have an issue with the content of someone's post, either take it up with them POLITELY or get a moderator involved.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:50 pm 
Well said, Diary.
I wanted to welcome you, Sneaky. I enjoyed your post and found it interesting. As far as I'm concerned, anything that is said here that does not go against the parameters of discussion that were set up by the forum administrator (see "posting rules") should be welcomed. As we go through recovery, we have all kinds of things pop up into our minds.....as Sneaky said, it's a cathartic process sometimes to put those thoughts into words. Sometimes that includes talking about things that we remember from our days of using. There's nothing wrong with that. Sneaky's post in no way encouraged anyone to go out and use. I agree with Sneaky also that it's our sense of humor many times, that allows us in some ways to deal with the past. Is what we have been through a joke? Certainly not....the magnitude of the seriousness of what some of us have done and gone through is hardly even fathomable at times. It's difficult to share that stuff. If throwing some humor on it helps a little bit....I don't have a problem with it. In fact, I know I need to lighten up sometimes! And Ronnie, you really do need to lighten up. Cut people the same slack that we have been willing to cut you. In my experience here on this forum there have been very few posts that I've run across that don't have at least a few peices of valid/valuable information. I think we owe it to one another and to anyone else new to the forum to keep it a place that, as Sneaky said, we can come and talk about our pasts without feeling censored in some way. This forum, for me, has been the ONLY place where I can come and talk about what I did without feeling the full weight of shame and embarrassment I carry because of what I did. I work every day to put it behind me, and part of that process involves acknowledging and talking about it openly with others who can relate. If anyone is not interested in that information, they can skim the post and move on. If what Sneaky had to say was helpful to him....then great. If it bothers the reader.....oh well, move on. There's no need to speak out abusively or disrespectfully. I think if we accept people and try to meet them where they are....they will come back and become more involved with discussions about "methods to live a clean and meaningful life." We all deserve a safe place to come and share. Let's don't mess that up.
So Sneaky.....Are you on Suboxone? Maybe you talked about that in another post and I missed it or have forgotten. If so, sorry! I'd love to hear about treatment programs, etc from 'across the pond'. And I'd love to hear your story when you feel like sharing!
Regards to all!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Sorry I'll stop being real. Next time I'll make believe so I can satisfy everyone. No problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I found this too to be very interesting. Im at a point in my recovery where I do not get triggered but stuff like this. Anyway welcome Sneaky!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ronnie -

Maybe you can strive to find a middle ground between "keeping it real" and "being a dick"? I didn't ask you to make believe, just to be polite.

-Jack Kornfield

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:16 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Well, I'm so sorry to have caused an argument on my first time in the forum.
To answer the question, yes I have been on suboxone since Feb 2009, as explained in my addiction story, A Sneaky Elephant's Tail. It has been a Godsend, saving my life and the love of my family. I owe my entire existence to it and to the compassion and help of my caseworkers at the Hounslow Substance Misuse Team in West London.
Thank you all for the warm welcome, I will try to be worthy of your time and not cause any more friction. I just wanted to remind people of what they have left behind, meaning the horrors of addiction, but do it in a slightly humorous way to take some of the sting away. Perhaps that was a mistake
Love and Peace
Sneaky

Post subject: Ronnie !!!!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:45 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Way to go Ronnie, " Keeping the Honest People Honest " If people didnt care about you they would NEVER refer to one of your posts, my wife just agreed with me, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:42 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

You've got to read SneakyElephants addiction story, Like NOW....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

whats going on in the house???? This is not Jersey Shore.....Ha. Ronnie I have to admit that it was pretty interesting reading and I got a good laugh at the humor. I can see where someone could take offense to his post and yours.....You have some good stuff to share Ronnie just take it from someone who gets in trouble alot at work......when my emails are construed as impatient or rude when that was not my intent.....if you dont like what someone is sharing do what i do in a meeting......I ignore them. Since I feel like we are getting to know each other on here is why I am sharing with you......Some of my biggest resentments I ever got in AA was when someone was self-rightous and spouted thier thoughts on others who share something they find irrelevent....I don't want to do that here. You have some good info to share...I don't want to see your post edited or banned. It really is all good......we are alive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:23 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

know when I was early on in my recovery reading something like that would have made my mouth water like yeah I'm gonna go get fucked up now I want to nod out l want All those goods feelings again OH yeahhhhh. And that could have been my last high ever. I just want pepole new in recovery not to be relapsing and if I can do my part to help I'm gonna do what I gotta do to help someone and that's my opinion no one should get pissed off about it.