It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:03 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I need some quick chimes about this, Is it the law for a sub doc to only give you a once a mos rx or do some give multiple refills?

As some of you may have read in my prior posts, due to failing a drug test I'm now tested every week and only given a script for 7 days vs 30 days. But I think I've heard some sub users say they get multiple refills and only go to the dr every 3-6 mos for their drug tests and refills. What' the scoop on that? Just that individual Drs rules or because they want that office visit to collect the DOLLARS?

thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]I don't know what every doctor's motive is for not giving refills, but my doctor gave me a refill the first month only. And even then, he got the pill count wrong. From then on, he's only given me one month at a time. And still effs up the pil count.

I think that money can be a strong motivator for some doctors. But on the flip side of that, I've also read a lot of stories about doctors who will accommodate patients driving 50 miles or more, by giving them two refills. This way they only have to come in once every three months. I think it just depends on the doctor though.

I do know though, that there is no law against prescribing refills on suboxone or subutex in Pennsylvania. Though I don't know if that is a Federal or State Law. Sorry I can't be of more help. Mayber if you google it you can get an accurate answer?? Maybe. Also, there are a ton of other members I'm sure that will chime in too!

Hope this was what you were looking for.[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:40 am 

I believe that suboxone is considered a level 3 narcotic. Therefore doctors do have the choice to give multiple refills. Do you think your doctor is trying to get extra money from you, or just thinks you need closer monitoring because you failed the test?

My doctor was telling me a couple days ago, that he has even had patients who have moved out of state that he continues to prescribe for. If they can't find a new sub doctor right away, he continues to write their script for a few months. He says that this doesn't raise a red flag with the DEA, in part because sub is a level 3 narcotic.

I can't tell if you are just curious, or if you think you can convince your doc to write you refills, or if you are thinking of changing doctors so you might be able to take advantage of fewer potential office visits. I do think that no doctor is going to do this for you until you have a proven track record with them. And that would include clean UA's. I'm not trying to bust your chops. I guess I'm just curious about how you think the law would impact your treatment. In any case, good luck.

Amy

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:09 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

It's all good, I don't think your busting my chops Amy. Even when I was passing her UA's and she trusted me completely which i F'd up with the mary jane thing, she said by law she can't give me refills, that's what she said. I'm in Maryland. For God sake, when I was on meth program I even got take homes so I don't think she' being honest.

Today was not a good doctor visit. She purposely made me wait from 12:00 - 3pm, just to show me she wears the pants. The office was completely cleared out from 1-2 pm for lunch and I got to sit in the exam room listening to everyone chat, then when appointments started rolling in, she took a few of those patients before me! I had to keep my cool because she's mad at me for failing a drug test in addition to that I was caught on video survaillance cheating my urine test. So I completely understand her being mad but I was super frustrated for being treated the way I was today. I can't find another doctor in my area that will do subutex maintainence just sub detox. I've been on sub for 3 1/2 years.

Thanks Amy and thank you too Going Strong. I do believe she does the sub route and all her patients come in once a mos. Right now at this point, she's giving me weekly RX's for another 2 weeks for punishment.