It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Soldier on Suboxone
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So long story short I got hooked on oxys legally as they were prescribed to me for several years..then I was cut off instantly and I resorted to doing them illegally to avoid withdrawls so that I can perform my military duties..(like many people do in everyday situations to avoid being fired from their jobs )..anyways I've been on Suboxone the last 3 years and have turned my life around and have excelled where I dropped the ball when I was on the pills..my question and a constant worry with me is when the time comes to deploy again..Obviosuly 30 days worth won't last for a 9 or 12 month deployment out of country..the doc could do 5 refils but I can't come back to the states every 30days to get it filled. I could have them sent to me but they would need filled early every time to avoid getting package b4 I run out each month..

Basically I had my sub doc tell me once that certain exceptions can be made and the D.E.A can waive the RX policy and the doc can write for as many As I would need.Any truth to that or any similar situations?

Post subject: Re: Soldier on Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:21 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

As a RN and pharm tech law and ethics is a big part of my continuing ed.
I looked at the laws and can't find anything specific to military.
However I googled
"Military deployment exceptions to controlled substance laws"
And a PDF from the Army came up about CIII and CII rx. I couldn't read it because I'm not in the army, but it might be helpful to your situation.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:36 am 

Hey Dan!

That is a very unique and a very good question that I personally have never heard anyone ask before. I have no answer to it unfortunately but hopefully Dr. Junig or docm2 will know a good answer.

There surly is some type of stipulation to accommodate soldiers who're deployed and taking medication daily. I would think they'd allow refills, maybe even video appointments if it came to that (if you'd be near a pharmacy... I know very little about this).

Don't worry Dan, I'm sure someone will be along soon that has a few answers for ya! Good luck and thank you for ur service :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:48 pm 

Thank you Dan for your service. How about an implant? It would take some research to see how long they last but it is easier than taking a daily med.

Talk to your doctor and do some digging. We'd hate to see you going through withdrawals when you need to be 100% on duty.

And please, don't get hurt out there.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thank you for your service.
That said, I don't think you will like my answer. I have deployed as a medical officer, to a relatively austere post.
Pre-deployment we reviewed all personnel for conditions and medications. Our formulary was limited, and we needed to make sure we could meet the needs of our soldiers.
One or the other could make a person non-deployable. Most migraine medications are benign, but we aren't going to take someone that is mission incapable a couple times a month. We wouldn't take anyone that had lifting restrictions based on a prior injury. We could make an exception, like for on MI or operations officer that would never lift anything heavier than a keypad and was deskbound. Our veterinarian was allowed to go if she brought enough medications to last for the deployment and a two month extension.
In order to go on your deployment you will have to lie on your screening forms. Suboxone won't be on formulary. If you run out, go into withdrawal, it will all come unraveled.
You would be sent home. It becomes a legal issue because you deployed with false documents, no longer a medical issue.
I dealt with this a couple of times. One soldier was refusing a mission because he had no way to secure his insulin. Command came unglued as did the medical section. He was on the next plane out and a civilian a week later with a general discharge, not a medical discharge.
Another came to me (I was the Brigade Psychiatrist) because they had run out of Lithium. They would never had been allowed to deploy on a mood stabilizer and a diagnosis of Bipolar disorder if we had known about it. Same thing, quickly went home and processed out. In her case we were able to get a medical discharge so they could get care through the VA.
Maybe it is a bit different in the Active Duty side (I was National Guard) but I didn't get that sense dealing with my upper command.
I'm not going to conjecture about a possible work around, I don't think you should do it.
Semper Gumby http://marineparents.com/images/marinec ... -gumby.png