It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Social Media
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We've discussed links to social media, and fears about privacy have priority over getting word out. BUT... the world is a big place, and I'm comfortable saying that is someone is convinced his/her post will be recognized, reconsider whether that assumption will truly be made-- unless you post things that effectively out yourself. With all of these things considered.... there IS a way, now, to show a particularly valuable insight by a member to other people. Before saying 'how', I'll point out that sharing a post to HUMILIATE someone is a good reason to nudge someone out of hear.

On the list of topics, under each section you will see the 4 links--- the first to news, then to sitemaps, then to RSS feed, then to sitemap in a different format. If you see something so GOOD that you want to share, you can click on the third button--- the orange RSS feed symbol-- find the post, and then on the very bottom of the post you will see virtually ALL of the social media listed, and THEN some.

I added this feature because some people really wanted to pull in new viewers....and because the steps required to do it are almost as complicated as simply cutting, pasting, and listing on the social network of your choice. As always, comments are welcome!

Post subject: Re: Social Media
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's my view on this.

I don't have a problem with allowing people to share things on social media. I wouldn't want to share MYSELF, but if someone else was to share something I have written I wouldn't worry about people I know in my personal life recognizing me.

As I see it...if a member shares with his/her own friends, my personal contacts won't see it...unless we happen to know the same people. How likely is that????

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:19 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Here's my view on this.

I don't have a problem with allowing people to share things on social media. I wouldn't want to share MYSELF, but if someone else was to share something I have written I wouldn't worry about people I know in my personal life recognizing me.

As I see it...if a member shares with his/her own friends, my personal contacts won't see it...unless we happen to know the same people. How likely is that????

Wellllll, qhorsegal2 if you are from West Tennessee then we may have some problems LOL!!! :wink:
No, but seriously, I'm all good with this change. I'm so happy to have found this site that I'd be happy with anything! I'll TRY to remember not to post my SSN, birthdate, full name, blood type or address. :lol:

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Minnie wrote:
qhorsegal2 wrote:
Here's my view on this.

Wellllll, qhorsegal2 if you are from West Tennessee then we may have some problems LOL!!! :wink:
No, but seriously, I'm all good with this change. I'm so happy to have found this site that I'd be happy with anything! I'll TRY to remember not to post my SSN, birthdate, full name, blood type or address. :lol:

BA~HAHAHAHA! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:32 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I meant to add that I am in West Tennessee too. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

LOL....Well, howdy neighbor! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:37 pm 

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Here's my view on this.

Unfortunately, I don't think that is true. Up in the right hand corner of Facebook is a running showing of what other people are doing. For example, your facebook friends will see that Jen posted on John Doe's status. If your friend were to click on that, they can see what you're writing on the 3rd party's wall or status. You should try it for yourself so you know what I'm talking about. If you want to be completely safe, I would not connect this site with Facebook in any way. For me, it wouldn't be a big deal because I have already told everyone about my addiction.

Be careful!

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 1:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Amy,

Do you mean that I would have to share the link on facebook for my friends to see it?

What I was talking about above was if a member here happened to share a link to a post that I had written on. If that person wasn't friends with the people I'm friends with then they would never know right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:24 pm 

You are correct about that. Sorry for the confusion.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:19 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When I think about sharing, I am not thinking so much about facebook--- as posting or linking to that will instantly 'out' you as someone interested in Suboxone (for SOME reason....)

But some people use sites like reddit.com-- take a look at the site if you are not familiar with it.... the orange RSS symbol leads to a wide array of similar sites, where people can have usernames that do not disclose their identity. The idea would be that if you read something particularly insightful, you could click to have it go to reddit, where you can post it in the 'addiction' or 'opioids' group. That type of thing would help spread the word about the forum--- as other members of reddit addiction's section would see the comment, and could link back to the forum to see where it came from.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

No problem...I was really kind of wondering if I WAS confused.. I don't get on facebook much anymore and I don't do the whole Twitter or Instagram thing. My daughter knows WAY more about it than I do!