It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sober, now what?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:32 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Ok, so I have now been off suboxone for about 4.5 months and I'm struggling with to answer my "now what" question.. When I was coming up to 30 days, 60 days, even 90 days I felt like I was IN something, had my mind preoccupied with what improvements I saw, and counting days and being proud of new accomplishments (like a full night sleep). But now I'm at that stage where I feel I'm passed all that and don't know what's next. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I'm done with recovery, now what. Its more like now that getting further along in recovery I feel like I should be doing something, something to keep me pushing forward. A life change, etc. Now that I'm passed the honeymoon stage I want to do something good, or new, or BIG. I beat withdrawal, I should be able to tackle something huge. I do want to point out that I'm so happy right now in life, I've got so much good in my life. I guess I just thought once I got clean I would be drastically thrown into a new life, new career, I thought I'd be developing a cure for cancer and aids and competing in the iron man by now. I don't even know if there is a question to answer. Just needed to rant. By the way for those coming up in recovery, for me, 4.5 months out, I feel great, just wish I was doing more good I guess. I wanted to be heading up a small militia for peace in the middle east by now, That's all!! Over and out

Post subject: Re: Sober, now what?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:21 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I can definitely relate to the questions you are having. When I was on suboxone for over 5 years, I was always in a somewhat content state. Not always happy, but kind of stuck in the moment and not real interested in moving forward on anything. Fast forward and now that I have been off subs for over a month and through the acute withdrawal I have needed something to keep me going. I also was content the first month just counting the days and hoping for the improvements.

Now, at least in my case, I did get into a regular gym and exercise routine along with better nutrition. The thing that has really helped me is setting up some 10k runs and bike races this spring to keep me focused on things that are making me feel better. I'm over 40 , and not sure where you are in your life journey, but these things have helped me answer some of those questions and keep me going. I'm not sure if this is my total solution, but it's working for now, and il re evaluate this spring and maybe set loftier and or different goals.

Congratulations on the time clean, I know it is a great accomplishment and good luck on those questions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:41 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Yup. I feel the same in some ways.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds to me that you are kind of struggling to find your "purpose" or "calling" now that you are clear of the complacency that subs gave some of us while using.

For me, prayer and meditation help keep me connected to that "inner voice" that I seem to be able to hear much more clearly now. I find that if I just ask each day to do "God's will" (my understanding of 'God" - call Him/Her/It what you will is my opinion), I find a greater peace and joy throughout the day and not so much restlessness about exactly what I should be doing with my life now.

I'm just striving to be the best person I can be, and letting God be my guide. Putting my life in my Higher Power's hands takes a lot of the pressure off and I feel confident that my choices grounded this way will keep me on the path that is best for me.

I believe we each have a unique calling and purpose, and if we are following that will have more peace and serenity.

And if you do find yourself making peace in the Middle East- give me a call- I'm in! :D

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:15 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Congrats on your 4.5 months, bro. That's an awesome accomplishment! I feel I will be similar to you in terms of "finding myself" and furthering myself in sobriety. I guess the guidance of addiction counselors and successfully experienced NA member's help with guidance. I don't know yet because I'm still early in sobriety and have so much to learn and do to stay away from opiates. I feel for you though because I would worry about that also as I'm a natural worrisome person. Hoping you find your way and interested in your resolve. :-)