It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:28 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am only at the beginning just 7 days into first drop. I am overly moodie, though I am sure my family will tell you, as usual. Lol. My lower back hurts but the worst was the burning/felt like it might feel better if you itch it, sensations. And, touch sensitivity, hurts to type. My sister in her infinite wisdom, cut up all my suboxone tonight. I flipped out. She mistook my needing a weeks worth cut down 1mg., to believing she could cut all my pills into 1 mg. chunks. I know she thinks it will be easier to just grab a 1/4 tab. Doesn't understand the reality of it does she? How can she.

Is it true that if the pills aren't perforated they aren't evenly distributed? How do I get what my body considers 4 mg. with these pieces of every shape and size imaginable? Crying again... Sob.... She just doesn't understand how important it is for me to succeed at this. That's not it. She just doesn't know how hard it really is. It isn't like coming down from the darn psyche drugs I just got off of. She was able to decrease them all (7 different ones that my Dr. placed me on) 1 or 1/2 tablet each week with little notice. I was moodie, so I don't think anyone was able to notice. lol... But no big withdrawal thank the powers that be. So, chop chop. went my pills. How do I fix this?

I do not trust my Dr. Never want to go back and ask them for help. I was told that if I didn't follow their recommendations I couldn't be in their program. Meaning if I didn't stay on the psych drugs they placed me on, I was no longer going to get my Suboxone.

All I wanted, was to get off all this crap and let my pain pump do what needs done. Why I am with this Dr. ( clinic) was to wean me off the narcotics long enough to get my pump installed. Pain control no Narcotics prialt rules. My only hope, want, or desire since my car accident. My pain pump Doctor rocks and wants me clean too.

So here I am. Can't go tell that creep clinic, that my sister chopped up my pills. When I said quit, they freaked out and took away one of my 4mg. tablets away and left me to hope I don't go into w/d. I truly beleive to torture me. Letting me go through this without any help. Or telling me exactly how I am to achieve this. I wouldn't do there recommendations now. I am fearful of them. Isn't a recommendation a suggestion? Are Dr.'s allow to do this?

Well, that is basically the terror I call life. Lol. But, I haven't been happier. I am so close to being clean and already I can feel the fog lifting. Hope you will welcome me to the pack, could really use the support.

Thanks me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry, but I'm not totally clear what your situation is. Are you still working with a doctor or clinic or are you tapering yourself down? But either way, you DO have a supply of suboxone, that your sister cut up into approx 1mg chunks, right? Ugh. OK, don't worry, the fact that you're not getting the exact same amount in your system every day probably won't make much difference. When we're taking them sublingually, we're still only getting a percentage of the full amount anyway. Don't overthink the chunks of the tablets. As far as I know, they ARE meant to be broken and should be evenly distributed (they do have that score on them). When we dose with a full tablet, for example, we're going to get different amounts of absorption based on how long we let it sit there, if we happen to swallow, how soon we drink afterward, etc. You don't know it, but you already are probably getting different amounts in the same general mg area each day now. Don't let this get inside your head and freak you out. Just let it roll off your back and deal with it. So it's broken into chunks...OK, great, that's done already! Now do your best to work with them.

As for your tapering, just do a slow taper, lowering your dose by 10-25% (25 at higher doses, 10 at lower doses) every 2-4 weeks. The slower you remove the opiate from your brain, the less withdrawals you'll go through. And taper as low as you can - down into the micrograms.

I hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions or if I've misunderstood something.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow Britiany ... well done on the taper thus far! It can be really difficult, but you said it yourself that you're staying positive and feeling happy about it. And I get that vibe through your post as well.

Just in response to your last post about dose splitting. While tapering, a person only needs to split their dose when they start to feel withdrawals as the buprenorphine wears off. ie say you were dosing twice a day, morning and night, but by afternoon some mild withdrawals kick in that are only relieved by taking the night time dose. In that case, it would probably be a good move to split the daily dose into three and have a midday dose as well.

You are dosing 3 times a day, no? You could always try reducing that to twice a day, and if you don't feel the Sub wear off over the afternoon, it might be okay to leave it as that.

Regarding the supposed uneven distribution of the tablets. In my experience of taking split pills however I haven't found there to be any variability in distribution over the tablets based on subjective effects.

If your pills have been cut up all over the place and are in much different sizes, you could look into doing a liquid taper. I haven't done it myself though. Message "Diary of a Quitter" for info. There's also a sticky thread on top of this "stopping suboxone" forum.

britianyann wrote:
I do not trust my Dr. Never want to go back and ask them for help. I was told that if I didn't follow their recommendations I couldn't be in their program. Meaning if I didn't stay on the psych drugs they placed me on, I was no longer going to get my Suboxone.

That is really unethical IMO. It is blackmailing a patient with the threat of acute withdrawal. It's a huge abuse of physician power, and if you can find a way to prove it, IMO you do have a right to complain or even take legal action. Unfortunately once a patient falls under the banner of the mentally ill or addicted, their credibility in society diminishes a lot. It's easier for doctors and nurses to get away with practices like this. I mean, if a GP said to someone "If you don't take your anti-depressants, I'm going to stop prescribing your anti-anxiety pills" ... I don't think they'd be in the job much longer!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Quote:
Unfortunately once a patient falls under the banner of the mentally ill or addicted, their credibility in society diminishes a lot.

Oh boy, can you ever say that again! That is so bloody true and it pisses me off to NO FUCKING END. All of a sudden because we've been diagnosed with depression or addiction we have ZERO fucking credibility. Think about it, if we were ever called as a witness to testify in court about ANYTHING, guess what the other litigant will do to us? Rip us apart by convincing the judge and jury that as junkies (even recovering) we have zero credibility and will always be such and they can't trust one word we say. See why it pisses me off? :x

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much for all your advice. I am much more calm now. I had this plan and it was derailed. But, you got me right back on track.

I did have a witness, my sister has to care for me since my accident. My question is then how do I locate an honest lawyer? I have had my dealings and find good help hard to find. lol. Is the results worth all the stresses? Though, I know I can't be alone with my fears at that place. Too much power given to someone who doesn't deserve it.

I will be reading all of your wonderful blogs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It'd be a difficult case britianyann. Even if your doc's found to be in the wrong ... what kinda damages could you expect to gain?

I wouldn't consider it to be worth it now I look at it.

I just get annoyed that doctors can get away with these kind of practices in the addiction and mental health fields, because it's often assumed that patients of our ilk don't know what's in our own best interests. If a GP said to any patient "I will stop prescribing your epilepsy medication if you stop taking your blood-pressure pills" --- they'd be strung on a rack! Seriously.

Post subject: It gets better
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was really sick after they put me on sub. I was having to taper down from Demerol, to enable my pain pump to be installed. I was only to be with this clinic for a very short time. I was told estimate just under 22,000. Ouch, but it was at that point life or death by w/d. I am undergoing all this misery and low and behold they charge before anything even gets charged up my credit cards limit of 30,000. I don't know it happened, I am in their clinic, and by the end of my stay they had charged over 46,000. They told my Mom when I wasn't there that I would be kicked out if she didn't give up her credit card. And, then they went on to charge my set aside account for more. Not sending me but a few bill saying paid. I have to get them, because I didn't have any paperwork stating that they could take 30,000 as a retainer, them to send me all their paperwork to show me they were entitled. Never was told there was a retainer. And, if my cost was to be around 22,000 how can you just take 30,000. Once they can't send me their proof I can move on.

I was being told I had to take their recommendations, of psyche drugs, had me on 7 different ones at the same time. I lost my hair, my teeth started getting cavities, ridges in my fingernails,etc.. But, even with side effect and that it is against my religion, I was threatened with not giving me sub which I can't get from anyone but them. Searching for a new Dr. took to long and I didn't have the money any longer because of them. Scary.... If they are doing these things to me, there has to be others.

But, is it worth the stress. I am detoxing off sub. And for the first time in 24 years my pain due to my pump is finally tolerable. I have PAWS to deal with soon. Am I able to do it? And, where do I find a lawyer who won't rip me off. Frustrating that they know they can do this kind of thing to someone who wasn't able to protect herself. Sob.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:55 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I dunno britianyann ... I don't have any experience with that stuff. I guess you could just call one of those no-win-no-fee people and ask them if you have a case?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. I will do that. I am tired of the medical field treating us like we are beneath them. I was given a medicaiton to make me better, but I am punished for it. How dare this happen in America. Why aren't we standing up with Dr. J and say no this is wrong and we want to be heard? I mean babies are being denied proper care because we are afraid to tell our ob/gyn we are on sub. This is unacceptable. Sob...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You go girl :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I am comming down from 65mg methadone I have been taking for 5 years. I am currently 48 hours without methadone and still dont feel sick. Doctor told me to wait at least 48 hours after my last dose of methadone to start the suboxone but I might wait