It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:33 am



All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Our Sponsors





Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:36 pm 
Offline
New Poster
New Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm
Posts: 2
Hello.. I have been on suboxone for the last three months and it is the best thing! I am taking 2 8/2mg tablets a day. I am lucky enough that my insurance covers the generic orange tabs for a great price! Anyway, I am in recovery with a friend on the same dosage. However, he has been snorting an extra quarter of a pill every now and then. Is this giving him a "high"? Curious as to why he is doing this. Thanks in advance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:55 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1454
He's doing this because he's an addict and is not serious about his recovery (yet.) Hopefully he'll get there soon. If I were you, I'd distance myself from people still participating in behavior like this. It's not healthy or safe for you or or your recovery.

Glad you're doing well on suboxone!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:22 pm 
Offline
New Poster
New Poster

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:31 pm
Posts: 2
Thanks for the reply. I already do distance myself from him because of many reasons. Does snorting the pills while on the program get you high? Even if he still takes them under the tongue as normal and then snorts them between doses. I thought you couldn't get the high if you are doing the program.


Top
 Profile  
 
Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:49 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 11
Hello. I thought snorting suboxone was pointless? as does not work unlike subtex? Curious now? lol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:52 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 11
Suboxone2013 wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I already do distance myself from him because of many reasons. Does snorting the pills while on the program get you high? Even if he still takes them under the tongue as normal and then snorts them between doses. I thought you couldn't get the high if you are doing the program.


Me too. I thought suboxone, unlike subutex could not get yu high if snorted?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1454
Daniellexx wrote:
Hello. I thought snorting suboxone was pointless? as does not work unlike subtex? Curious now? lol.


It's pointless if you care about your recovery at all. You can snort pretty much anything. I'm not sure this is the place to discuss any benefits of snorting the sub, though. (I don't think there are any, but some people can't break free of their previous rituals and ROAs..)

Edited to add: The naloxone in suboxone was added to prevent people from using it intravenously. The thing that prevents people from really getting high on suboxone is the buprenorphine itself. There is a ceiling to bupe, and once someone has a tolerance to it, there isn't nearly the same kind of euphoria that you'd get from a short acting opiate.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:01 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 11
tinydancer wrote:
Daniellexx wrote:
Hello. I thought snorting suboxone was pointless? as does not work unlike subtex? Curious now? lol.


It's pointless if you care about your recovery at all. You can snort pretty much anything. I'm not sure this is the place to discuss any benefits of snorting the sub, though. (I don't think there are any, but some people can't break free of their previous rituals and ROAs..)

Edited to add: The naloxone in suboxone was added to prevent people from using it intravenously. The thing that prevents people from really getting high on suboxone is the buprenorphine itself. There is a ceiling to bupe, and once someone has a tolerance to it, there isn't nearly the same kind of euphoria that you'd get from a short acting opiate.



Thanks.

Sorry, just asked out of curiosity, not because I want to snort it. Been there and done that with subutex, not for me anymore. Thanks for your reply.

eta: Sorry if offended. I did not ask about the benefits, just why you could not snort it. x


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:05 pm 
Offline
Long Time Member
Long Time Member
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:27 am
Posts: 1454
^ You didn't offend! I just wanted to put that out there, in case anyone felt the need to jump out of the woodwork and explain how awesome it is. You never know who's lurking from bluelight. :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:17 pm 
Offline
Average Poster
Average Poster

Joined: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:57 pm
Posts: 11
tinydancer wrote:
^ You didn't offend! I just wanted to put that out there, in case anyone felt the need to jump out of the woodwork and explain how awesome it is. You never know who's lurking from bluelight. :lol:



:lol:

Yes I see what you mean :) x


Top
 Profile  
 
   
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:19 pm 
Offline
New Poster
New Poster

Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:08 pm
Posts: 1
I can see why someone with no opiate tolerance would do this (bupe is very potent and will get an opiate-naive individual quite high) but being that he is on maintenance, presumably for a while (I mean, like at least a few weeks), the initial glowing quasi-euphoria one feels from bupe is gone and it is simply just like taking any other medication, such as an anti-depressant. Therefore, I don't really understand why he snorts some (although the bioavailability is said to be higher intra-nasally) because he really shouldn't feel anything but placebo.

But hey, I've heard of ex-dopefiends injecting water to satiate their needle fixation, so this does not surprise me.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Snorting Suboxone
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:34 am 
Offline
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:42 am
Posts: 4127
Yes, the psychological component of addiction makes addicts do odd things. I have a feeling that the OP's friend is not feeling any amount of euphoria by snorting part of it. His addiction is trying to convince him that he needs to do this to make himself feel better.

There aren't many of us who haven't taken extra sub at some point to try to get an extra burst of good feeling. There are plenty of stories on this forum about people running short on their sub because they were taking more than prescribed. Usually it doesn't take too many times of doing this before you learn that you are risking feeling withdrawal for no actual effect.

Amy

Moderator

_________________
Done is better than perfect!


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Our Sponsors
Suboxone Forum latest topics RSS feed Subscribe to the entire forum
 

 

 
Fond Du Lac Psychiatry
Dr. Jeffrey Junig, M.D., Ph.D.

  • Board Certified Psychiatrist
  • Asst Clinical Professor, Medical College of Wisconsin

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group