It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:32 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

does smoking weed help or hurt the detox process, been a chronic weed smoker for 10 years, i smoke blunts like some people smoke cigarettes, anyway does it hurt the detox process to continue to smoke?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I smoked weed for detox and it really didn't help much. I never smoke it and don't particularly care for it but it was the only comfort med I was willing to try. When my younger brother was dying of cancer he said it was the only drug that helped him feel good, and he was on over 2000 mg of morphine a day at the end. Detox for most is just plain hard but it does not last forever. I jumped over 50 days ago and am living in paws land waiting for the old brain to come back alive. Good luck and God bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Pot doesn't agree with me, personally. Not sure why. However, I don't feel strongly about people using pot or not using pot. I may get slammed for saying that, but I've just noticed that many people seem to be able to use it and not overdo it. Of course, as addicts, we have to watch our backs carefully with anything that alters us. That said, for people in recovery for opiate addiction, I see pot as a wise pain control option.

Anyway, as far as pot and detoxing off Sub, here's what worries me. Going off Sub tends to raise one's blood pressure. Contrary to what many people think, smoking pot also raises one's blood pressure. Could that be a recipe for disaster or at least a bad trip? I don't know.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Don't you mean retoxing?

I still have a smoke on odd occasions. Hell I even have some in my drawer that I haven't touched for nearly two months.

There's two reasons why I don't think it would be good for a detox. Firstly, you won't be as motivated to quit if ur in a smoke haze. It makes it a lot easier to say 'what the hell, it won't hurt' - especially in the throws of w/d. Secondly, studies have shown that the people that give up everything at once - ie drugs, smoking, alcohol (if you drink every day) and even coffee (which makes a huge difference with opiate detox) - do a lot better than the people that hold onto other vices. If you have a pot dependency, then if you keep smoking it you'll still be exercising your addicted brain every day, and it would be a lot easier for ur addicted brain to grab back onto other drugs as well.

Just my 2c. No expert. Just my experiences.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:41 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I have found marijuana to be an essential tool in *my* road to recovery. It keeps my mind foucused on whats important in my life, and helps keep my mind free of any cravings at all. I am on suboxone right now as well. Before that I was in one methadone clinic for a year, relapsed for two months when my father passed away, then went back to another clinic for another year, now I'm here on 16mg suboxone a day(high dose because I just last week switched from meth to subs, but thats another story, I have posted it on this fourm). I have the mental aspect of my addiction beat. I don't mean to be cocky, but I mean to be confident. I am repairing my relationships with my family and friends, working again, and staying busy with many hobbies, including my veggie garden in the backyard, excersizing, walking my dog at the park, you know, things that are essential to getting back in the rythem of everyday life without being an addict. I don't suggest all recovering addicts go out and smoke weed as it can be a trigger I would assume, and everyone reacts differently to drugs. Keeping that in mind, it can have huge benefits if used responsibly, when applied to drug addiction. Not to mention it's completely harmless(smoking it has some risk of course, thats why I vapeorize my weed mostly) and has no lethal interactions with other drugs. I am hoping my suboxone doctor shares a similar view, or at least is rational about my situation, but I'm not optimistic. You would think any healthcare professional would be educated on each and every possible drug, and their applications, wouldn't you guys? :) But anyway, thats what i think. I am big into keeping healthy these days. I am clean now, but if I want to get high I use the natural option, that will not take over my life and make me it's slave, like opiates. May sound like a contradiction to some here, but I use weed as what it is, a medicine. But I will not lie and say i don't use it for recreation, and why is that bad? I am living my life that way i want, I'm happy. Some may call this want to alter your mind still, addict behavior. Does someone that has a glass of wine exhibiting addict behavior, or someone that drinks a cup of coffee? I think not. It's human nature to use mind altering substances, it's been going on for thousands of years, but yet the entire world are not addicted to drugs. Thats brings me back to responsible drug use. People are begining to realize the benefits of this plant(just not the pharmesutical companies, they ignore these finding because they cannot patent a plant, therefore claim it has no medicinal value, even though it's aleady been well documented that it has many medical applications)and that it should not be looked upon in the same way that it has been for so many generations, because of lies the goverment and media create. The method that the drug compaines use to determine the thereputic effectiveness of a drug is they measure how much of the drug is needed to produce the desired effect, compared to how much of the drug is a lethal dose. Therefor marijuana is the most thereputic drug known to man, considering the amount you would need to consume for it to be lethal is physically impossible(try smoking half your body weight in dried buds in a little over an hour. It won't happen but at least you'll have fun trying :) ) Psilocybin mushrooms have awesome potential to change your life for the better as well, used very carefully and resposnibly of course. It's being studied for addiction treatment, along with the ibogain treatment thats already in use, for addiction. It can allow you to step back and look at yourself, and your addiction from another perspective. Grant you insights, open places in your mind that you never have had. But I will save this for another topic maybe, lol. :P But my bottom line for this post is being responsible in the things we put in our bodys, and how we use them. If we all could have done that with opiates we wouldn't have lost our privilages to use them ever again. Do any of you fine people have an opinion on this subject? I'm sure you do! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Sorry man, ment to post that as a new topic, lol. Hope you find it a good read anyway, seems like a fellow pothead will :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

awesome info there fellow stoner!!
Im currently doing the same thing u are. Im on 8mg of suboxen a day and smoke regularly.. I think when the day comes to taper i would like to taper that addiction as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Strangely enough, after close to a decade as a hard core, three or four blunts per day smoker, I am down to almost nothing now. I just kind of lost interest in it. Now, it depends on the person, or more specifically, the personality, but I think pot can either be a non-issue or a slippery slope. Again, it depends on the person. For me, it was a non-issue. Pot did not lead me to opiates nor did it make me crave opiates. It was just something I did socially with my family and friends, who are all, to this day, daily pot smokers. Even my sub doctor is kind of "meh" about it. I've tested positive for it a few times, and he just kind of looks at me with a raised eyebrow and says "indulging in a little marijuana?" And I just say "yeah, once in a while I take a few tokes" and he says "um, ok" and that's it. And that really is the extent of my use of it. I've actually become very pot-naive now and all it takes is one or two puffs and I'm done, no more is needed.

But I have say that as time goes on, my frequency of using it is going down. In fact, I haven't touched it at all now in about 4 or 5 months and my last couple of urine screens at my suboxone doctor's office were 100% clean.

I think alcohol is far more dangerous.

Post subject: the days after.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:47 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i can remember when smoking pot. i diden't like smoking it in the same day. but the after effect,
like in a day or two, it seems to make me have higher spirits. not sure being on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

i was exactly the same johnboy.

I'd always smoke before bed. Not so the bed would float, but for the haziness the day after. It made my mood feel really stable, and I wouldn't care about anything too much.