It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Smoking
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:23 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've read a lot of posts about how Subs helped a lot of people with drinking.

I was a non-smoker for 12yrs and started smoking because of the pain I was going through. Now that I'm on Subs, my pain is under control as well as my urges for opiates.

Has anyone experienced stopping smoking with Subs? I'm going to go cold turkey, but worried about rage issues that I had when I quit the first time.

Thanks for any advice.

S

Post subject: smoking
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:52 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi--I've heard some people say that while on sub they smoked MORE than usual but I never noticed that. And yes, I've quit smoking while on sub. I don't know if being on sub made any difference at all, but I'll tell you what DID help me and that is a prescription to the quit-smoking medication Chantix. That really really helped with the cravings, although, to tell you the truth, it's STILL been a long arduous process and I STILL struggle to stay quit. But for me the Chantix at least made it possible for me to get a start. There's also a medication called Zyban which is really the same as the anti-depressent Wellbutrin. Many people find that Zyban helps them to become a lot less interested in smoking.

As for rage....I don't know what to say about that...I can understand it but I'm not sure I have any advice to offer except to try to remember that your emotions will settle down once you stabilize. If it's really so bad you can't manage, i would say, maybe you should consider trying one of the medications, for me it made a huge difference.

In any case, I wish you luck! another thing that has helped me is to go with the day-by-day--one has to start SOMEWHERE and the first thing is to get through the first day, then the next day, then the next. I always want to put off quitting cigareets until tomorrow, or until that pack is finished but....if I keep putting it off I'll never quit....also, I try to remember that it really is the first couple of days that is the hardest. Quitting does take some effort, but it DOES get easier and it really is worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Smoking for pain?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Wellbutrin
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:41 pm 

I didn't quit smoking cigarettes on Sub but stopped chewing Nicotine gum that equaled over 2 packs a day. My doctor gave me Wellbutrin and it did the trick. Of course my mental state was messed up. No rage, maybe irritation is a better word. I had to really keep my mouth in check knowing what I was going through and not wanting to hurt any feelings. That lasted two weeks but I am so very grateful to have that habit behind me.

Quitting smoking is one of the hardest habits to break, but it can be done. Just look at how many people smoke nowadays compared to say 20-30 years ago. So you're not alone trying to break that habit. And it will be one of the best health decisions you will ever make. But you know all that.

The Wellbutrin may keep your emotions in better shape because it's an anti-depressant. Just a guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

my family doc said ". i will be smoking more wile on subs. that was 8 months ago. sickly'. i smoke 3 packs a day and trying to cut down? subs just give me that moody feeling. that's one reason why we should stay active. finding it hard to stay active wile on these meds makes it hard to stop our cut down smoking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm on 12mg sub a day and am now 1 month off the smokes. I def smoked more on the sub, and thought it would be to hard to quit but it wasn't really. I used patches so was heavily addicted to nicotine. A smoke was the first thing I did on waking. I cut them down with scissors to make the taper more gradual and it's been easier than I thought so far.

I recommend the patches as people can end up addicted to gum and lozenges, and don't feel mind altering pills are really necessary, but that's just me. Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

My husband, who was a hardcore cigarette addict, quit 13 years ago w/ the patch. He relapsed this year due to the frustration of being out of work on injury. He HAD to quit again to go back to work and used the patch again. It really helps w/the emotional issues (because you still have nicotine in your system) while you get out of the habit of lighting up. I think I would do what Tear said an taper off of them by cutting them (they also come in several doses). Good luck to you.