It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:09 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey friends,

So the title says it all. I really want to quit smoking. I'm 25 now and have been a daily smoker since I was about 18. (about a pack a day sometimes less) My boyfriend is 38 and has been smoking since he was a teenager. We plan to stop together and use each other for support & motivation.

I really want to get the NicoDerm CQ patches and give those a try. as my body physically and mentally is going through a lot as it is and don't know if I could handle quitting cold turkey without anything to help the withdrawal. (I suffer from chronic migraines so if I can do anything to help with the notorious headaches that go along with quitting, id like to at least try it) I have never actually tried to quit.. but the way I see it, kinda like with suboxone, If I can do this without being completely miserable (with cravings & withdrawal) AND give me a better chance at success it seems pretty stupid not to try!! :)

SO I have read up about a couple things to help with cravings, like chewing gum and drinking a glass of ice cold water through a straw, but my biggest thing is smoking while driving! any time I drive even a short distance I ALWAYS have to have a cigarette in my hand!! :(

& I recently (2 mos. ago) quit biting my nails after doing it severely, literally my entire life!! (no joke since I was old enough to speak). One day randomly I just decided I wanted to stop because I was disgusted with how my fingers & nails looked. I am really shocked I have continued to let them grow & am SO proud of myself for sticking with it. I absolutely love the way my nails look now and that alone is a huge motivation to not bite. I am worried this oral fixation will be too much taking away the nail biting AND cigarettes! :(

SO, my friends, Any tips that helped you or a friend?? Any advice???

I am feeling motivated and actually pretty excited to take that first step. Sick of always craving a cigarette whenever I'm pissed off or upset or stressed, really any time I feel "some type of way".. other smokers you know what I mean lol. Ready to try to quit yet another addict-like habit. Sick of smelling like a filthy ashtray. Sick of that infamous smoker's cough and having to clear my throat every 10 mins. And I really wish my boyfriend would stop, which is another big motivator for me to stop because I know he will join me in quitting. he is not getting any younger and I really worry about his health. He has been smoking for over 20 years! And I can tell it is taking a toll on his body. Also he snores extremely bad so we hardly ever sleep in bed together anymore :'( his doc always said quit smoking could help with snoring. along with MANY other benefits. So I think us doing this as a team will really help !

Thanks for any input guys! Even if you don't have any advice feel free to cheer me on ! :) it might help to come here and check in with you guys frequently so its not so simple to just give in!

Love all you guys!
Jess

P.S. I have been on Wellbutrin for about a year (for depression) & at first cigarettes tasted nasty but I continued to smoke anyway. I know there is a med called zyban very similar to Wellbutrin and there is that med Chantix and whatever else is out there but id really like to try to quit without adding another drug to my body. I'm on enough medications as it is. I actually want to get off Wellbutrin and switch to something else cuz its not helping my depression whatsoever and just feels like a sugar pill! BUT that is a whole other story! Thanks guys

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:57 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jess,

I used to smoke as well for many years. One day, like you, I just got tired of it. I have always heard that it best to replace one habit with another habit ( a healthy one).

So, what i did, I joined a gym the day I quit smoking. I literally dragged myself to the gym every day until the desire to smoke went away. It is not easy, but the exercise did relieve stress plus I started to slowly get healthy. And the healthier I got, the more I was against smoking.

I also, started a NO SMOKING FUND> I used to smoke Camels and they were like $7. So every day I would put $7 in a box. After a Month, I bought myself something with the money. I think I bought myself a yoga mat. and gym bag. But just try to reward yourself with the $$ you will be saving. Plus your health is priceless.

Good luck to you. YOU CAN DO this!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:44 pm 

Hey Jess!

I'm a smoker, been a smoker since I was 17-18 and I'm 40 now! The only time I quit was during 3 pregnancies and that was easy because of morning and afternoon sickness. But I started bk immediately after giving birth unfortunately.

I had to stop during 2 detox' s during my using days, they wouldn't let u smoke so they gave me the patch. Unfortunately the patch didn't help much but I think that was from stopping opiates too... it was just to much for me all at once.

I did do the vape cigarettes for a bit and they did work, but ur still getting nicotine so that may not be for u. U can gradually cut the nicotine levels down though. I went bk to smoking though. It's hard having a partner that smokes and that's been extremely difficult.

I was going to say that I heard Wellbutrin was supposed to help. Also Chantix but I heard it's very expensive and some insurance doesn't pay for it. Urs might. I know u don't want to take anything but this is hard, so if u need help don't count it out. Not everyone can do it cold turkey, I definitely couldn't.

I wish u luck though, gosh I wish I could quit. And my fiancé smokes too and he's 36 and had two heart attacks. He definitely has to stop (I'm mad as hell at him right now but still wish he'd stop). I smoke after eating, when I wake up, whenever I'm stressed and heck when I'm happy too lol. I smoke a pack a day of menthols, and I really want to stop to. I hope u can and can give me pointers to help me stop :)

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:13 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jess. Best of luck quitting smoking. I quit many years ago. I smoked a pack and a half a day towards the end of my smoking career. I picked a date, got nicotine gum and took it one day at a time. I had quit once before, but after two weeks decided that I could have just one. We know where that goes
I can give you ideas that worked for me. I listened to a relaxation tape at bedtime for the first 30 days. I had my car detailed so that there would not be any smoke residue remaining and to deter me from lighting up in the car.. I washed and cleaned all of my ash trays and put them away and made sure that there were no cigarettes in the house. I read the directions on the gum package and followed them to the letter. I used nicotine replacement for six months, the last couple of months using two pieces of gum a day. I had cravings for the first month and then it became much easier. I didn't realize it at the time but I was 95% of the way to success.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 1:32 pm 

Hey Jess, jeandianne said it almost the same as I. Same deal, was at about a pack and a half towards the end of my habit.

Started at 12 yr's old and quit at 36. What I did was similar to what you are asking. I talked to every single person who used to smoke and asked them how they did it and wrote it all down. Then I created my own program to stop. Here it is:

Picked a date close to 2 months in advance so I could get my psych up.
Wrote down everything I hated about it.
Wrote down everything I would benefit from by quitting.
Bought a subliminal tape to listen to at night going to sleep. Not sure if it helped or not.
Used Nicorette gum but only 2 pieces a day. (4 mg)
Told everyone I knew of my plan.
Promised my wife that I would succeed. (I never break a promise)
Told myself that NEVER would I EVER take one puff off a cigarette, pipe, or cigar. Nothing to tempt me back. This last one is important because I had quit once before for 2 years and took one puff in a bar and that was all it took to get hooked again.

By the time the date arrived I was ready. My wife said it looked easy to her but it was hard. As the years went by my obsession lessened. In the first 5 years I'd say that if the world was going to end I'd start again. By year 10 that was out the window. Today, even 2nd hand smoke doesn't bother me much. The trick is putting time behind you. That is the only thing that works.

Make your own plan and stick with it. It is not impossible to do. In my mind I thought I'd never be able to do it, being such a hard ass addict and all. Anything that gives me pleasure can turn into an addiction. I'm a previous alcoholic, gambler, sex addict, (if there is such a thing) and drug addict. You name it, I'll abuse it.

Tell yourself you can do it.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:46 pm 

You can do this, Jess!!!

You've gotten great advice so far and I know that you can stick with it and beat this demon! And Jenn, I'd like to challenge you and your fiancé to pick a stopping date too! You've got my cell # and you can text me day or night if you're having a hard time!

You too, Jess! If you need help in the form of a texting buddy just PM me and I'll give you my number. I don't know if it helps, but I wish I could do more to help!

One of the things that was always sad for my best friend, Scott, when we were growing up was that his mom smoked in the house. He loved his mom, but HATED the smell of smoke. And it was all through his clothes and other belongings. Now, I don't know for sure if this happened in part because of the smoking, but his mom died in 1999 of breast and other cancer. She was in her early 50s. This past October my Scottie died of a sudden heart attack. He was 45 just like me. He never smoked himself, but he was surrounded by smoke until he was 18 and went off to college. He was also overweight part of the time growing up, but by his mid 20s and recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, he turned his health around. He started eating much more healthfully and exercised regularly. In fact, within a year his doctor told him he no longer had diabetes and he kept it that way for 20 years. When he died he was playing tennis three times a week in a fairly elite adult team.

Please don't think that I'm harping on you ladies. I'm just trying to give you even more incentive to stop. Not all smokers do so inside the house, so don't think I'm judging you either. I'm just hoping that Scott's senseless death might have some meaning to people who are trying to quit smoking. His daughters are 14 and 17 and have to get through life without their dad. My loss pales in comparison, but I remain devastated too. Scott was a wonderful friend. I told him everything. When we got together we just laughed and laughed from all the great memories from first grade on up. He was my example of what a man and a husband should be. So kind, so ethical, so intelligent.

My very best,
Amy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:54 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I am so happy you started this thread!! I have been thinking a lot about quitting myself. I've been a smoker for 22 years and I'm 36. My SO is a smoker too. I don't believe I would be able to quit if he wasn't on board-you are very lucky to have someone to quit with. I've never tried to quit-I did during pregnancy but started right back up-I even took a vape cig with me to the hospital for after I gave birth. There is so much great advice on here-I will use this information, advice and suggestions when I am truly ready to quit-I feel like it is coming soon. My father was a smoker when I was a little girl. When it came time to write letters to Santa or the Easter Bunny I would always write that I wanted my dad to quit smoking. He did quit. I remember him chewing gum. A lot of gum-to the point that his jaws hurt but it worked for him. Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:28 am 

My 10 yr old has asked me probably 50 times to stop smoking because he's afraid I'll get lung cancer :(
U know this crap is addictive as he** to keep u going after ur child says that to u. Gosh that's terrible.

We've been discussing it heavily lately, but haven't set a quit date. We will, I realize there's never going to be a "good time" to stop. Thank u Amy for the support, I'm going to try very soon! I hope lol.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:35 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

What worked for me was a 40-50 watt vape. The cheap vape pens wont get you through the first few weeks, imo. I smoked non-filter for over ten years, and I found that a good quality battery made the difference. Mimics the "throat hit" better. Then just taper the nicotine level down. X20 makes a 50w battery (called ProV) that can sell for as low as $29. A good tank will be about $30-$35. Think of that investment vs a pack a day, and it pays for itself in about 10 days.

I tried all the patches and gums and meds and had the most EPIC dreams and nightmares. Either way, I wish you luck...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:22 pm 

Omg, yes.... that's what bothered me about the vapes. I couldn't get that feeling of the "throat hit" lol that's a perfect way of explaining it. I'm gonna try this bigger battery thing, I didn't realize that had anything to do with it. And I always got the cheap ones.

Thanks for that tip!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:20 pm 

It's been said before but I'll repeat it again. "I knew the day would come when it was time to stop _x__x__x, but I don't want it to be today". An old AA gem of course. That's where they all come from.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:40 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Starting to become a big Rule62 fan...

anyway, a word a caution, those vapes still stain your teeth, and your car windows, and probably your lungs as well. Those throat hits all day long will irritate your throat area, unless you use 100% VG. And those are more mild in the throat, and so you then you become unsatisfied, and crave a cigarette. (most fluids are 50/50 vg/pg - look it up) The point is it's still just a step, a taper. Make it a taper like a sub taper with determination and get off the vape asap.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

The book is The Easy Way to Quit Smoking and the author is Allan Carre
This book is the best book on so many many levels and is the silver bullet you have been looking for. Read it and you will be amazed as you simply let go of the nonsense and understand what is real. Sounds like i am selling snake oil but just read it and rejoice!
Yes i know he died from lung cancer
Read this book and chances are you will beat that beast and a couple of others as well.
Seriously give this a read, i smoked for 35 years both ciggys and pot and gracefully walked away after the second read and i am not a strong man but i can read.
Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:21 am 

So Jess,

It looks like you've got some great tips from a lot of members. My way was to ask as many ex-smokers how they did it. Now you have more answers than I did all those years ago.

Have you put together a personal program yet? All the tools/tips you need are right here. Add that to a Google search and you should have plenty to create a successful method of stopping.

One warning though. Try not to get hooked on the nicotine gum or patch or you'll find yourself doing battle once again. In my first post I mentioned I was only on Nicorette for two weeks. But 5 years later I was offered a piece and took it. Got hooked for just under 10 years and my doctor finally convinced me to quit because it increased my blood pressure. I didn't connect the dots until years later. Then I used Wellbutrin to help aid me get off the gum. That was a hard one too but I did get off it and now don't take any BP meds as it went back to normal.

EmBanks, what nice kind words for me! Now I'm your fan.

r

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:34 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

as far as the oral fixation, keep lollipops, sugarfree lifesavers, cinnamon toothpicks etc in your car. to give you something to put in your mouth! i've also made my own flavored toothpicks. my favorite is watermelon. just soak toothpicks in the flavoring you can get at the pharmacy for making candies.
because of your depression, I would be careful using another product that can cause suicidal thoughts! i believe that is a side effect of the wellbutrin, so if you add another meds that can cause that too...
when i started taking lexapro for anxiety i had suicidal thought for weeks plus i was in a really bad place emotionally. if i wasn't aware it was a side effect, i would have been in trouble. i went as far as to sell my conceal carry gun!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:31 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you guys for all the advice and please keep this thread going!!!! you all gave GREAT tips and I hope even more people come along to share how they did it!!

and its true that there will never be a "good time" to quit. I just have to do it and fully commit! I'm moving very soon so I think I'm going to wait until after the move because I know first hand how stressful moving is!!

And thank you for the concern sistermorphine, I know that all antidepressants can actually make it much worse for awhile, while your body is adjusting. I was a raging bitch for about 2 months when I first got on Wellbutrin a little over a year ago. It was awful. I felt so bad for my boyfriend, I was so mean to him and would scream and cry over the dumbest shit. I know antidepressants can be a bitch... and obviously I will taper off the wellbutrin before getting on another AD.

Also I have read if the patches give you weird dreams to take them off before you go to bed and to put a new one on in the morning. some times sleeping with them on gives people weird dreams like what was said by EmBanks.

I'm not really interested in vaping. I think I would just get hooked on that and not want to quit those either like I have seen with many people. And I'm probably wrong about this but I just think they're not much better than real cigarettes.. I see people, family members who will just puff on them all day long. and for some reason they just piss me off anytime I see someone smoking one, it's like they have to let EVERYONE around them know that they vape. lol.

Now this could change, but I plan on using the patches with the plan and taper on the nicoderm website like tapering from mgs in patches every couple weeks. And chewing lots of gum! It obviously isn't going to happen this month, But I am getting a plan together for after the move when we are finally settled in our new home.

Thanks everyone and Please keep this thread going! I'm sure theres tons of recovering addicts who would like to quit or have been thinking about it and just don't know how to go about doing so!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also would love to quit smoking. Great advice here!

I have a question. I have started smoking much more since starting Bupe. I was a heavy smoker prior to Bupe, but it's really gotten out of hand now. I know this is a strong drug, but so was my doc.

I own my own business so I can smoke at the office & everything. I've quit before, but my spouse smokes & that makes it really hard to stay away from.

I'm wondering if I will smoke less as I take less Bupe? I wonder if I could actually quit after I'm off Bupe?

Just asking if anyone else has experienced an increase urge for cigarette smoking while on Bupe?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I started the patches 2.5 months ago and never looked back. I recommend looking on craigslist to see if anyone is selling their leftover patches. I got really lucky doing this and got all the patches I needed (and more) for 20 bucks. I got 8 packs in total either step 2 or 3 and gave my leftovers to a friend. I was the same exact way, started at 18 and now I'm 25, wanting to stop!
But I did it! And it feels so freaking awesome! There's a really awesome community called BecomeanEx which has forums and I think a chatroom, it really helped me.
I used tons of candy when I quit, just STOCKED UP on gum, candy, anything I could grab when I was feeling the urge. The support of family and friends helped me too, I had people literally physically grabbing me saying NO you're not going outside!
I smoked a few ciggs on the patches the first few days. It's ok to do that, especially because they won't be very pleasing cigarettes. With all the nic in your body, when you do have a cigarette it's just not great..hard to explain.
Lastly I bought some nicotine gum to get me through the really bad urges.
I pretty much did as the box said as far as tapering off the patch. And let me tell you, people don't know shit about withdrawal. It was seriously easy going from step 1 to 2, and 2 to 3. I felt absolutely no difference, and same with when I stopped using them alltogether.
Best of luck and hit me up if you need any help!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, Queenie here,

Smoking! Oh my goodness, smoking. It is so hard to quit!!!
I started smoking when I was 17. Sneaking from my parents. I smoked heavily from the age of 25 until 8 years ago!!! Yes, I'm 74. I quit 8 years ago and now I can't stand the smell. (for some Godly reason, I couldn't stand to smoke during my 2 pregnancies. As soon as I gave birth, right back to it.)

O.K. First, the nicotine patch. Nothing.

Then nicotine lozenges, nothing!
Chantix. Now here is when I think it helped along with so many hospital stays I lost count. You can't smoke in the hospital. To be honest, how I longed for a cig after a shot of dilaudid through the IV. Let's not go there.

One day I came home from the hospital, looked down, saw no legs and realized that smoking contributed to the loss of my legs. First 2 surgeries each to try to save them (bypasses) then the left, then 2 yrs. later, the right. Then 3 years later, a heart attack. I threw my ashtrays, cigs and lighters away and never again.

It may not work that way for everyone and please, I don't mean to frighten you with the amputations but it's the truth in my case. I can say, try Chantix, if the doctor says it's alright. I really believe it helped.

Good luck and keep trying. Love ya!

Queenie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Jess. I wish you best of luck with quitting smoking. Keep trying. Most people don't succeed on their first attempt, but eventually quit if they keep trying. I used the nicotine gum to help me quit many years ago. I moved to a different apartment shortly after I quit which helped. For me, the more places that I didn't have associations with smoking, the better. I listened to a relaxation tape at bedtime for the first thirty days after I quit. There are millions of former smokers in the United States. You can do it!