It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: SMART Recovery
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:39 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I posted this in the "other programs" forum as well. Since it is so new, and there are no other posts there, I wasn't sure if anyone would think to look there, so I thought I'd post it here as well....sorry if I am doing this wrong. :oops:

Ok, so I'll start this topic off....I have been going to NA for a while, but I am not getting a lot out of it. I have all the same issues that other sub users have (having to hide that I'm on sub, not feeling totally honest, not feeling desperate anouth to go to a meeting, etc....). But, I also see the incredible good that NA has to offer....the support, fellowship, safe space to talk, and information to live sober. I have heard other people on this forum mention SMART recovery as an alternative. I went to their web page, and I like the idea behind the organization. As a psych major and grad student, I was a big fan of Cognitive-Behavioral therapy in general, and rational-emotive therapy specifically (which is what SMART is based on). But, my question is, what is the meeting really like? How do they compare to NA/AA meetings? There are in person meetings in my area, and they also have online meetings as well. Has anyone been to either, or to both? Do the online meetings "work" the same as the in-person meetings? Any information would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Elizabeth

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject: re: SMART Recovery
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:43 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello!! I read their online literature and liked it and I gave e-mail address for updates and meetings etc. I have never gone to a meeting and kind of dropped the ball on it but.......I am having a hard time "unsubscribing" from ALL of their e-mails (and there are alot!!) At the bottom of the e-mail when I click the unsubcribe link I get a warning that the site is contaminated with spyware, adware and viruses. I did not get that warning when I originally visited the site. So now I am stuck with ENDLESS meeting announcements and other stuff and there is LOTS of it so be careful!! Good Luck and please let me know if you go to a meeting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:33 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I really liked SMART's online literature and found quite a bit of useful info there. I never went to an in-person meeting, but I did go to an online chat-based meeting (I think they might have video meetings as well, not sure). I just found the chat format to not really be condusive to the meeting experience. It was kind of annoying, but that's just my opinion.

I would say try it and see if you like it. If not, it's only an hour of your time. If you do get something out of it, then great!

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:51 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Thanks for the replies.

Monica...good to know. I too pent a lot of time on their web page, but didn't sign up for emails (thankfully)!! I liked all the literature, especially the worksheets on the web page.

Diary..Agreed. I like the philosophy of the group. I was a little wary of the online meetings for that reason...I think it would be hard to participate in that forum in the internet setting. I agree, I should just try it out...there re actually 3 meetings near my house, so I am thinking of trying at least 2 of them (since I;m sure one meeting is different from the next, based on the group of people and the moderator). I think I just wanted to make sure this was a legit group and not some crazy fringe organization (or cult that would have me selling Amway door to door :lol: ).

If/When I go, I'll let everyone know how it is....

If anyone else has any personal experiences, I would still love to hear about it..Thanks!

Subs Not Drugs!!!

"Don't hope for a life without problems. An easy life results in a judgmental and lazy mind."
- Zen Master Kyong Ho

Post subject: Re: SMART Recovery
PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:47 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I know this is an old old thread, but I'm still concerned about the comments regarding the SMART Recovery website. Being the webmaster and a long-time volunteer for SMART, I don't find any of this to be connected to SMART's website nor practices... or our board of directors, tens of thousands of monthly visitors, and over 1,000 meeting volunteers would have had my head on a stick a long time ago!

As far as emails are concerned, about 4-6 emails per year are sent out through a well-trusted email service used by many organizations. And that is only for those who sign up to receive our updates and quarterly SMART Recovery News & Views newsletter.

Monica, if you had this sort of unfortunate trouble, I'm certain it wasn't ever coming from http://www.smartrecovery.org. It might be possible you had confused SMART with someone else.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 5:00 pm 

Thank you redwingnut for clearing that up. We want to promote going to recovery meetings and SMART is a fine example. Who knows what happened over 3 years ago with her experience with that website. Like you said, it could have been a different one entirely.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was just notified by email of this recent post. Thank you for your info. This is an old topic and I finally did "unsubscribe". I am not sure where the confusion came in, but certainly apologize if I put incorrect info out there. Sounds like you put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into SMART, and as a recovering addict I do appreciate that. Once again, my apologies for any incorrect information and perhaps I will give it another shot, because I did like the philosophy!! Thank you!! Monica