It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been lurking around for a few days now because I'm at the tail end of my taper and decided to find some experiences other people have had besides what my dr has told me. At first reading what people had wrote I was horrified and scared with what is to come. I thought 'I'm never going to go through that with a 9 month old and 2 1/2 years on suboxone.' But as I kept reading I've found the hope. And because I want to reach out to others with experience I decided to start my own thread just to document the last leg of my slow taper.

Background: I've been on suboxone for about 2 1/2 years now. It was a low dose of 4 mgs the first 10 months then went down to 3 mgs over a 6 week period and stayed there for awhile because I found out I was pregnant. My dr switched me to subutex and warned me of the riskes involed if I continued reducing while pregant - miscarraige. My son was born perfectly healthy with no w/d at all. We took him home after 4 days (I had a C-section).

Over the last 8 months I've slowly reduced from 3 - .5mgs. I've felt absolutely no w/d at any point during this reduction. Luckily I have a dr with a lot of experience who listens to me and advised me the best way to go was slow. I reduced 1mg every 6 weeks. How I did it was for the first 2 weeks I'd take 2 days at the higher dose then 1 day at the lower dose. So going from 3mgs to 2mgs I did Day 1 - 3mgs, Day 2 - 3mgs, Day 3 - 2mgs, Day 4 - 3mgs, Day 5 - 3mgs, Day 6 - 2mgs and so on for 2 weeks. On weeks 3 and 4 I altered 3mgs and 2 mgs daily, so it was just back and forth Day 1 - 3mgs, Day 2 - 2mgs, Day 3 - 3mgs, Day 4 - 2mgs, etc. On weeks 5 and 6 I did the same as weeks 1 and 2 just switched up so I'd take 2mgs, 2mgs, 3 mgs, 2mgs, 2mgs, 3mgs, etc. Then I'd hold at 2mgs for 2 weeks until starting the reduction onto 1mg.

Once at 1mg my Dr suggested a slower taper down to 0 than we were already using. He suggested I take 0mgs 1 day a week for 2 weeks. Then add another day a week I take 0mgs to that for 2 weeks. But he said to make sure those days are far apart like Tuesday and Saturday. The first day I took 0 i was extremely tired and woke up the morning after taking 0mg super hot. The 2nd week I did this I felt fine. On the 3rd week I added the 2nd day and felt hot and cold flashes, tingling in my hands and just overall discomfort but nothing so horrible. Reading these and other forums though has made me think I'd rather go down further than 1mg before I jump to 0. From what I've read even 1mg is alot in your body so going below 1mg puts your body in a better place to jump off. So I decied to jump straight from 1mg to .5mg. I've felt nothing. I feel exactly the same. I did not take it slow like I did with previous jumps just went from 1mg to .5mg.

I plan on staying on .5mg for another 3 days then jumping to a 3rd of that which is approximately .16mg. I'm going to hold at .16mg for 5-6 days depending on how I feel. Then I'll start alternating .16mg with 0 every other day for a week. After this I'll use my previous 2 days, 1 day method - taking .16mg Day 1, 0mg Day 2, 0mg Day 3, .16mg Day 4, 0mg Day 5, 0mg Day 6 etc. I'm going to do this for a week (maybe 2 I don't know yet) then stop completely.

My Dr says I don't have to go this slow but slow and steady wins the race. This drug has helped me get and stay clean and I'm going to keep it that way by taking my time and not letting my crazy addict head tell me I need to just stop taking it altogether right now.

I also want to explain another reason I'm reaching out. I'm in a 12 step program and the ppl in these programs can be extremely judgemental. Only we know what our clean time is and I know some ppl would try to get me to change mine if I started talking about this. I know how I've felt the past 2 1/2 years. I've worked a hard program, I've felt and cried and been angry and upset and overjoyed and happy. I've seen no difference in myself as I see in anyone else working a program clean. I've never felt high or anything even close to high on this medication. What it did for me was give me breathing room by taking away my obsession and desire to use in order to gain some real life tools. I'm more comforatble reaching out here to people who will not be judgemental and have the experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi inrecovery and welcome! I'm so glad you decided to post your story - thanks so much for sharing your taper method. It's always good to hear from people like you amidst all the horror stories. It sounds like you've had a great doctor along the way, too, and I think that's very important, especially when one is ready to taper. Many people here also believe in a long, slow, steady taper, although not necessarily exactly the way you are doing it. That's why reading all the different experiences and methods is important, because one never knows what will work best for them.

What about your recovery told you that you were ready to taper off? Don't misunderstand, I don't doubt that you're ready, because you sound very ready, I'm just interested in how various people determine that it's time to go without. Is it a lack of "psychological" cravings, strong support, reduced triggers, better coping skills, or all of the above? I'm just very curious. I take suboxone to manage my disabling chronic pain, so I don't know when exactly I'll taper off. But perhaps hearing how you knew you were ready will help others determine when they will be ready. That is, if you're comfortable sharing.

Again, a warm welcome to the forum. I hope you find the same support and empathy as I have. This is a great bunch of people and we're glad you're here.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks so much for your welcome!

When I knew I was ready I just felt like it was the right time for me. I'd spent time working a program, building a strong support system, getting my life together, learning new ways to deal and cope with life and more importantly that I actually could deal and cope with life and all of the feelings that went along with life without using drugs. I prayed about it (and please don't feel weird when I say that - it's just that I've personaly found a higher power to help keep me clean and restore me to sanity). I knew I had the right answer when I searched inside myself, and even though I felt some anxiety, I knew deep down it was time.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks so much for sharing where you were at and how you determined you were ready to taper off. Just from reading your two posts I have the sneaking suspicion that you will succeed! Oh, and I would never begrudge you whatever purpose prayer and the 12 step program hold for you. It's very beneficial for many people and I'm glad it's been such a valuable tool in your recovery. Keep up the good work.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:32 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is Day 1 taking .16mg

Todays going good so far.

Sometimes I feel like my body gets a little warmer than usual. It's no horrible discomfort though. I have the same amount of energy as usual.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for sharing your story. I too am in a 12 step program. In fact I've been sober in AA for 22 years. I got addicted to oxy awhile ago and 15 days ago I went on Suboxone for a 14 day taper. I wasn't sure I'd be ready after 14 days so I went to another doc and got an rx for another month. I'm at an impasse though. I'm down to 2 mg, and I'm pretty sure I could quit, because it's only been 2 weeks, but I really don't want to. I'm not sure if it's the addict in me that wants to continue to feel an opiate in my body, or if it's the best thing for my recovery. Like you, I can't really talk to people in AA because of the short sightedness.

I'm glad to hear it's possible to taper fairly painlessly in case I do stay on it for awhile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Nikonite - glad to hear from you. It sucks not feeling like I can talk to the people in my network. I'm glad people here are supportive. Only you can make the decision that's best for yourself.

Day 2 on .16mgs - I feel good today. I took 800mgs of ibuprofen in the morning as a preemptive strike. I've felt fine all day though. There's been no hot or cold flashes today at all. I felt a little tired and run down this morning but after being awake for 1 1/2 hours I was feeling up to my usual energy level. It's only Day 2 but I'm feeling ok so we'll see how tomorrow goes. I'm going to stay optimistic because I feel like state of mind plays a big part in how you feel. I'm also exercising 6 out of 7 days a week and this helps me feel good as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Nikonite wrote:
I'm at an impasse though. I'm down to 2 mg, and I'm pretty sure I could quit, because it's only been 2 weeks, but I really don't want to.

When I was on subs, I liked being on them. They were my security blanket, kept me from my oxy obsession. They truly took away the desire to use. For that, I am grateful.

I tapered from 16mg a day. I felt my dose until about 1 mg. After that, a dose kept me from getting sick but I didn't really "feel" it. I never reduced my dose unless I felt READY. Another step closer to getting off. I gave myself permission that, if I wanted to, I could go back up. And I did - went from 16 down to 4, back up to 8. Then back down, and currently on .026 mg, and should be off within the next couple of weeks. It's been about two years total.

I had decided that it was better to be "weak" and stay on suboxone until I felt ready to get off. I wanted a little relief, not to be pushing my detox and not fighting urges. I just wanted to feel ok and enjoy the peace I felt, enjoy life. I knew I'd be ready at some point. And, when I was ready, tapering was smooth sailing. I was able to handle mild discomfort of a not-so-slow taper, reducing my dose once or twice a week, and stay on track.

Good luck to you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks very much for that reply. It sounds exactly like something that would work for me. It's great to hear that one can taper down without too much misery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 3 on .16 mg

I'm feeling good today just like yesterday. I feel like the most uncomfortable day I had was the first day on .16 mg. And the discomfort then wasn't that bad at all.

I felt slightly uncomfortable for an hour or so in the morning. There were very slight hot flashes but nothing crazy.

I'm having more bm's than usual. I usually go 1x every 2-3 days and now it's 1-2x a day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 4 on .16 mg

I feel exactly the same as yesterday. A little off for about an hour in the morning then the rest of the day has been fine.

I know people say the 3rd-4th day is the worst usually but I honestly feel like the day I felt most uncomfortable was the first day. And looking bad I was definately a little bit more irritable on Day 1 then I usually am. I'm usually pretty easy going and ok with what comes along. Day 1 I was not as easy to get along with but I wasn't terrible to get along with either lol.

Good Luck to anyone else tapering or coming off!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Day 5 & 6 - over the weekend.

the weekened went exactly the same as Day 4. I felt fine. I'm sleeing good and feeling ok. My energy is at the same level as it has been.

This week I'm starting 2 days on .16, one day on 0, 2 days on .16, one day on 0. So today I'll take .16 today and tomorrow I'll take .16 and Wednesday I'll take 0. Then repeat.
The week after that I'll take .16 one day, 0 the next, .16 one day, 0 the next.

I'm honestly feeling very anxious about this. I'm scared I won't be the same person or I'll just feel bad (in my head). I know these are insane crazy fears but they're there all the same. I'm also scared I'll go through horrible withdrawal and won't be able to do it with a 9 month old. I'm confident I'll actually be ok though and I won't feel much of anything bad. The rest are all just my crazy fears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:53 am 
Hello inrecovery! I just wanted to add my support for you in your taper. It surely sounds like you have a good plan in place and have selected your timing with a lot of thought and introspection. It seems to me, based on my experience so far and in the experiences that I have read of others who have done it, that it's all about personal timing, attitude and a very slow, methodical taper and jump off buprenophine. It sounds like you're very fortunate in having an experienced and good Sub doctor...what a blessing that is! Your taper plan sounds fantastic to me....the gradual lowering of dose with alternating days at the previous dose, giving plenty of time for the brain and body to adjust to less and less bup in your system. If you're able to continue along those lines, I can't see why you'd have any major problems with finishing this up and not suffering much if any as you go along.
You are way ahead of me in your taper. I'm sticking around 1mg/day for a while because I have hit some stressors along the way and found that I have more work to do in the areas of coping with 'life on life's terms.' However, I have said all along that if my final taper from 1mg/day to zero takes several months...that's fine. In fact, it seems like those who do that (take several months in the final stages) fare better in the long run in terms of not suffering severe or lengthy PAWS symptoms, which is what seems to lead many to relapse. I totally understand your concerns in terms of needing to be at as close to your best as you can be while doing this, because you have a family who needs you to be functional!! I think that's the hardest part sometimes. It's almost like if we could just 'run away' from our lives for a few months, we could get through this easier! But that's not an option for most of us, so we have to make this work and fit into our lives such as they are! And that means, as I think you said, "slow and steady wins the race."
I'll stop now. But you have my empathy and you have my support. Again, it sounds like you're doing a fantastic job. Don't let that 'head' stuff trip you up. Try not to be afraid of what's to come....that is hard for me too. Live in the moment, reminding yourself that you are, in fact, doing just fine today and that is what matters. One day at a time, you will reach your goal. I also think that one of the beautiful things about bupe is that should we hit a wall with tapering, we can just pull back and slow everything down. There is no harm in that if that becomes necessary. It's not like a relapse to our former drugs of choice. Bupe is so great that way.......an actual chance at reducing dose, bringing tolerance down and maybe, just maybe eventually becoming completely drug free (if that is our personal goal.) That is something that could never happen with our forumer drugs of choice! That, to me, is just miraculous! I am so grateful to have a chance at that....something I couldn't even feel hopeful for before Suboxone!
Keep going and keep posting! And thanks for sharing your story!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much setmefree. It was really good to read what you wrote and exactly what I needed to hear :)

I'm trying very hard to not let the head stuff trip me out. And your suggestion of living in today is one I really need to take. I keep living in the days ahead and need to focus only on today in this situation.

Yesterday went the same as the previous days except at the end of the day I had some diarrhea. I also had a tummy ache. This could have been from the fast food though - I don't eat fast food often.

Today I feel good too. A little dirrhea in the morning and then nothing notable since. Tomorrow will be my first day taking 0. I'm sure it will go absolutely fine, maybe with a little discomfort but nothing crazy. I'll take 800mgs of ibuprofen in the morning and probably follow that with 800mgs of ibuprofen every 8 hours. I'll take my usual multivitamin in the morning and exercise before bed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is my 1st day taking 0 mgs.

I feel a little uncomfortable but nothing too bad. I've have a little diarrhea but I'm not running to the bathroom every 30 minutes or anything, it's been 2x today I've gone. I've felt slightly clammy all day though. There's been no hot or cold flashes but a very clammy feeling. Sometimes I feel a little warm. I try to get up and move around because I always feel ebtter when I'm moving and doing something. Unfortunately my job is at a desk so I'm sitting most of the day. I can't wait to get off and get moving. I was a little irritable in the morning but that has gone as the day has carried on.

I honestly feel a lot like how I felt after giving birth. The clammy all over feeling, getting warm, hot and cold flashes, irritability. The hormones really do a number on your mind & body. The only difference is I couldn't fix that with a pill and I can fix this. I just need to keep reminding myself it's not that bad at all, I felt like this not too long after giving birth and I can walk through this perfectly fine :)

Have an awesome day everyone. And anyone going through trust that you can do it and don't kill yourself over the horror stories. I'm trying to stay positive and I really do feel like a person's attitude can effect how they feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

:D Inrecovery congratulations! You're where I want to be, I just know I have miles to go before I sleep. I just started Sub 15 days ago, and I have a question:How did you know you're taking .16mg? How did measure it? I'm curious b/c when I do decide to taper, I want to follow your guidelines b/c I too believe slow and steady wins the race!

Another question. When did you stsrt your exercise routine while taking Sub? I'm known to have "too many urns in the fire" and I don't wanna over do it, but I'm so overweight that I think that plays a huge role in my mood and outlook towards life. Any info will be helpful. You are my inspiration! Just to hear you say, or rather read that you took your Multi-vitamin and Ibuprofen and THATS IT! That's where I wanna be so bad, but I feel that I still have addicitve tendencies in my mind and if I try to taper right now, I mean I just got started, that it would blow up in my face resulting in a relapse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I don't know it's exactly .16 but it's pretty close. I actually think it may be closer to .26. My dr prescribes me 2 mg pills and he told me to break them. I break the 2 mg easily in half to get 1 mg and just kind of keep breaking from there. It can be a pretty big pain cuz the pieces get so tiny and I know they're not exactly right on the dot but I'm ok with that. I've read some other people using a liquid taper on here. The liquid taper seems pretty smart to me if your looking for right on the dot .1 or .2 or whatever your going down too. I think my lack of patience has played into my winging it with the breaking a little. I wish I had more patience to measure things out and be meticulous but I just don't :( I admire people here who take the time to measure like that.

I started working out when I was at 1 mg so it wasn't that long ago. I don't know why I started doing it then it just seemed like the thing to do. I thought it would be too much for me too but it's actually helped a lot.

After I left work I got a burst of energy and started feeling good. And in the interests of full disclosure I also had the strongest urge to have sex (I didn't though). I had diarrhea a couple more times after work as well. Besides the diarrhea I felt good. By the end of the day I was more tired than usual and a little crankier than usual too. I put the baby to bed and worked out for 40 minutes. I felt the same as every other workout I've done. I fell into bed and slept like a baby - until my son woke me up by shoving his little head into my arm lol. I woke feeling perfectly fine this morning as well. Part of me wanted to say F-it and just jump straight to 0 now and forget the rest of my slow taper but I'm sticking to my taper becuase I know it's what's best for me and what my dr has recommended.

I'm feeling very postive about this taper. I feel like I can definately do this and feel minimal side effects.

And just to clarify today I'll take the subo, tomorrow I'll take the subo and the next day nothing. The next day I take nothing will be a Saturday. So I can go straight into next week taking subo every other day. I'll take subo sunday then none Monday and so on until the end of the week. The following week I'll take subo one day then nothing for 2 days then subo one day then nothing for 2 days. The week after that it's all 0 all the time. It's going to go fine. I'm really looking forward to not relying on anything besides my program, my network and God. I honestly feel like it's gonna be awesome (and I hope I'm not speaking too soon either and end up shooting myself in the foot lol)

Good Luck to anyone else going through this, everythings going to be ok :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today I'm feeling the same as yesterday - pretty good. I noticed I've been sneezing a lot and have a bit of a runny nose the past few days but I have bad allergies so it could be a combo. I also noticed I've been more irritable in the mornings than usual. Besides that feeling great.

Tomorrow I'll do another day at 0 and I'm feeling nervous. I know it'll be fine and I'll make sure I stay busy so I don't have time to think about it. Right now I'm thinking about it though and I'm nervous. I probably won't be back for another update until Monday unless by some miracle have some extra time (which is impossible with a baby) or I feel real shitty and need to get out.

Have a good weekend :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm going to make this quick because I'm on my way out of work.

So on saturday I was supposed to take 0 but woke up and just didn't feel ready mentally. So I took my low dose and then took 0 on Sunday. I felt good Sunday. I took ibuprofen through out the day and a mulitvitamin. No diarrhea or cold chills or hot flashes or clamminess. I exercised in the morning although it was hard to find the motivation. After exercising though I felt great. By the end of the day I was a little more tired than usual. I was definately more cranky than usual too. I also had a hard time sleeping. I fell alseep fine but woke up a lot. I always fell back to sleep until an hour before I had to get up for work. I woke up and just laid there with my eyes closed quietly for an hour.

I'm going to take a low dose today and tomorrow and then 0 on wednesday because I messed up my schedule a little. After wednesday I'll start taking 0 every other day, as long as I'm feeling ok about it.

I really want to rush this and just be done but I know it's not smart. I have another medical issue made worse by stress and these 2 situations combined are definately stressing me out bigtime. I can't wait for the next couple of weeks to pass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Today is my first day taking 0 every other day for a week. Today I took 0.

I'm feeling good today just less energy than usual. I'm a little sweaty and get a little bit of a hot flash once in awhile but that's all. I guess my brain and body are slowly getting used to not taking suboxone - awesome!

I did wake up early and exercise. It was tough finding motivation but after I did I felt great. I took a multivitamin and I've been taking 800mg of ibuprofen every 6-8 hours.

I'm excited for the next 2 weeks to pass. I very much want to put this part of my recovery behind me and move forward. I'm also excited about leaving the stress behind me as well. There are a couple other things going in my life that are causing me stress and I honestly like to keep my life as stress and drama free as possible. I'll keep updating in the hopes this will be a story that is not a HORROR story. It's too soon to tell but I feel like it's going successfully so far and hope I can stay strong and keep it up.

If I couldn't do this God would not have put it in front of me.