It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:13 pm 
Hey Suboxfreedom! Good job with your taper. I know this feels like it's taking forever for you, but if that's what it takes for you to get where you want to be....then it's all good! I believe you on that tiny dose making you feel better. Suboxone is really strong medicine! They dose it in MICROgrams not milligrams for pain medications in other countries if I'm not mistaken. Maybe feeling the effect in five minutes is kind of fast, but who knows...maybe it was more like 15 minutes after dosing. No matter - it worked and I have no trouble believing that at all.
I agree completely with DOQ as far as you needing to get some natural endorphins flowing. You've got to do this! Your Sub dose is so low now that I would think there's a high likelihood that you'll produce some good stuff on your own. Keep your mind and your body occupied with "normal" activities and hopefully the weaning process will begin to shift into the background of your thoughts and become easier in some way. I hope so!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with setmefree....i don't like to have some organized plan. I just naturally taper down...i'm down under .5mg a day now and it just happened naturally. I plan on tapering and tapering and tapering naturally. I'm going to get down to where I almost need nothing and then stop. I'm in no hurry to get off as suboxone has, as many have said, given me my life back. I'm sure someone will reply with a scientific study proving that my plan is flawed but from what I've read this seems to be th best way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I love this site. Soooo helpful reading people going through the same stuff as me. I am good now on .75mg a day. My biggest problem is my impatience. I once tried jumping at about 8mg, through the rest away. Big mistake. I have never had withdrawl like that ever. Anyway I would really get down on myself for having to rely on the sub. I am finally getting it through my thick skull to taper and do it the right way. Now Instead I am feeling proud of tapering, instead of being down on myself everyday all day. It is from reading these posts that helps me realize to take my time and do this right. I still look at people every day and am jealous that they are happy and normal without this stuff. Which I always used to be. Now reading positive successful posts help those feelings. I have 0 people to talk to about this stuff but this site will be great. I got myself into this and i will get myself out. I finally see a little light at the end of a LONG fn tunnel! Thanks!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

It sounds like taking it slow is the best route. You have so much good information in this thread to go by, no need for me to repeat it. I just want to say good job! Also, I know that these posts and this forum has helped me greatly and would like to continue to say thanks! Good luck

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just a quick update since it's been awhile.

Still on .25mg and I'm not sure when or if I will take another taper from here. Taper plans and schedules are fine but difficult to follow. I read somewhere that God laughs the loudest.. when we make plans for something or someone. Especially if the plan benefits no one but ourselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:53 pm 
Yeah, just take your time. I do believe in the "letting it happen naturally" theory. While it may not work for everyone and I don't even know yet if it will work for me....it makes sense to me. And it is exactly what my doctor has recommended. It's the way he himself got off Suboxone. He was on it for a good while (a few years I think). I just saw him and couple of days ago and we talked about tapering issues. He's one who doesn't care at all if you stay on forever. Anyway, he said he just slowly shaved off a little more and a little more over time, eventually kind of forgetting or intentionally skipping days when he got down to little 'crumb' doses. He said he allowed himself to dose as needed with that tiny dose and that sometimes it would be every day, sometimes he'd go several days until eventually it was a week and then he realized it had been a couple of weeks. He said at that point, he just thought "well I guess I'm done" Wouldn't that be amazing?!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the update! If you have the time, and if you don't mind, it would be nice to hear a bit more. Did something happen to change your thoughts/desires to continue your taper? Have the small symptoms that you had been feeling around Christmas continued or have they now subsided? I fully understand and agree with changing course or making a different plan - no argument there. I'm just curious if there is something that has brought this change about. Hope to hear back from you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:24 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

How are you measuring .25? Are you taking a quarter of a half of a 2mg pilll? I'm down below .5 but now it's just a matter of me breaking of what I feel is the smallest peice I need ya know? What are you doing? Liquid taper or just eye balling it?

Post subject: Thanks hawker1
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hawker, since reading your posts for the last week, 4 days ago I took another chip of the" ole sub pill " taking a little less than 1.75... I'm feeling that "not enough suboxone " feeling... you know that slow , hard to get going in the morning shit we all face will trying to cut back a little. Boy if I only knew then what I know now. THANKS , Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks for the ongoing support...

First off donh... you may be sorry you asked but here goes; The holidays were extra difficult this year due to some personal and family issues. And our Bupe dr office is going thru some changes with several unknowns coming in the future. Also... as some of you know, I was on Methadone for many years prior to being coerced from meth onto Bupe. When i say coerced... It was mostly geographics, tightening controls at meth clinic, and free vs pay.

Even though it's been over a year since the transition, I still don't know what feeling "normal" and good is really like. Thats probably why I've been able to taper so low with minimal problems. The physical "wds' have not been a problem and I can't say I crave any other drug.

I'm one of those people who knows how good bupe is for most people but I can't help but compare my life [and how i felt] on methadone verses bupe. My life before bupe was much more stable and predictable. I guess old habits die hard??

Anyway, my choices are clear... continue to taper and get off bupe, remain on a low dose since [now] I essentially feel no different than on 12mg... or go back to methadone. To be honest... none of them are appealing to me. Even though my situation is far from unique. I don't think these are the kinds of issues most bupe patients have on their minds when tapering so low. From what I read here... most go on off the drug and take it one day at a time... and do well. God bless them all!!

Setmefree... You've got a special dr and I'm sure you will do fine whatever you decide.

Hawker, I have a good pill cutter along with a lot of 2mg tabs. They cut very well into fourths. From there, I simply shave off [what looks like about] 1/2 of a .50mg piece. Not completely accurate... but pretty close. It's a rather small crumb.

Thanks again for everyones feedback!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:01 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Quick update... I'm still stable on .50mg though wish I could feel better more consistantly. Good days and bad. My body tells me there has got to be something better but it probably means either tapering back down to .25mg and then lower or else back up to 2-4mg. Neither is appealing right now. Will continue to go day by day. Deep REM sleep is a major problem and is compounded by sleep apnea. It's bothersome and frustrating when you wake up 6-8 times during the night. Never really feel well rested and full of energy.

I have an appt with pulminary dr next month and expect to go on either c-pap or bi-pap machine. Dr's tell me this has been life changing for some but was no help for me about 11-12 years ago when they first became available thru the VA health care system. I'm told now there has been improvements in technology since then which gives me hope...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:34 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

One more quick question in case anyone knows... a UK resident has posted a couple of times about .2mg bupe being available in in some European countires. Has anyone heard if this is coming to the US anytime soon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:20 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

suboxfreedom wrote:
Quick update... I'm still stable on .50mg though wish I could feel better more consistantly. Good days and bad. My body tells me there has got to be something better but it probably means either tapering back down to .25mg and then lower or else back up to 2-4mg. Neither is appealing right now. Will continue to go day by day. Deep REM sleep is a major problem and is compounded by sleep apnea. It's bothersome and frustrating when you wake up 6-8 times during the night. Never really feel well rested and full of energy.

I have an appt with pulminary dr next month and expect to go on either c-pap or bi-pap machine. Dr's tell me this has been life changing for some but was no help for me about 11-12 years ago when they first became available thru the VA health care system. I'm told now there has been improvements in technology since then which gives me hope...

Hey suboxfredom- thanks for the update. I'm a new kid here, and have just started my taper in Feb - from 6, now 2 days on 4mg. It's very helpful to read your reports and thoughts.
I'm out here rooting for you, for a path to become clear. And I hope the sleep apnea treatment will be helpful for you. I know everything is more tolerable with sleep!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:14 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks Xonedone... I appreciate your support. Today I spoke with therapist who was on bi-pap machine for several yrs with apnea and recently had laser surgery for condition. She has had incredible results and was able to get off 4 different meds after her sleep improved. This gives me hope for a better way...