It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi! Just joined the forums but have a very time sensitive question about a very urgent matter- I just recently started my Suboxone treatment, was prescribed enough to last me 3 days. However, I didn't feel that the dose was strong enough- it didn't seem to be quite working- so I took a dose and a half. I tried to make it on just one the next day, but surprise surprise, didn't make it and took the next 1 and 1/2 doses. Having no suboxone for tomorrow and having already been two long days without my initial drugs, I broke down and got enough of that for tomorrow. :(

It saddens me to think of taking it and excites me at the same time- I thought the last time was gonna be /the/ last time, and as much as I hate to stumble already, part of me is glad to have another chance at 'the last' time...

Anyway, what I'm wondering is, what should I tell my doctor on Monday?? Should I tell him I slipped up, should I tell him /why/ it happened and ask to be put on a stronger dose? This was the first time I was prescribed Suboxone and the only reason i was given enough for 3 days was because it was the weekend- I dont want to ruin my chances for future take-home doses by telling him I screwed up this early... :cry: ...but I also don't want to lie and say everything was fine when the amount of suboxone I was supposed to take was not enough :oops:

Should I just hold my breath and hope to try to make it through tomorrow /without/ taking the illicit pill?? :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry you're struggling still, but you're certainly not alone. If I were in your shoes, I would do everything possible to avoid taking the pills you got. I know that's easier said than done - believe me, I know! Suboxone has a long half-life, and although you only took it for two days, it is possible that you will be okay missing one day.

Are you in Canada? They are different from the US in that you have to go to a clinic to dose daily. (Just curious.) I would be honest with the doctor. It's a really good sign to show your doctor that honesty. And, like you said, how can he give you the proper dose if he doesn't know what you need? Hopefully your doctor will be understanding and will work with you to meet your needs.

I know starting out can be very difficult, but you will make it through this. Once you get enough sub in your system, you'll begin to feel so much better.

What dose did s/he prescribe and how much did you end up taking? Again, just curious.

I know you'll find the support and encouragement you're looking for. This forum has a terrific bunch of people. I'm glad you found us. And please let us know how it turns out. Take care and good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I would do everything you can NOT to take that pill. If you feel like you need to take that illicit pill, then I would call the doctor first. If you are in Canada things might work differently. But in the states, I would call the doctor and tell him and then say you decided that before you took that pill, you ought to call first. Maybe he will call in some suboxone for you. This can be done. But if you use right now, you may get kicked out of your suboxone program and you definitely don't want that. One day of withdrawal. You can do this if you HAVE to. It's only one day if the doctor says no.

With that being said, MOST of us have been where you are at and it isn't all that uncommon. So don't beat yourself up over the situation you are in. I know I did it a couple times in the beginning for sure.

Suboxone does have a very long half life. Once you have stabilized, you can go 24-48 hours without taking anything and not really notice much difference and without ANY withdrawal. But I don't know if that is the case when it hasn't built up in your system yet.

I am glad you found the forum and hope you will keep returning.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Induction
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:19 pm 

I am confused. My doctor made it clear that if my initial induction dose was not enough, then I was to call them and he'd up the dose. Isn't that what they told you too?

If you are indeed in Canada the rules may be different. But a Sub doctor is supposed to help you find the correct dose to start on.

Have you called the doctor yet?

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey slardibartfast, Welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll find a lot of helpful information here.

When I started subs, the exact same thing hapened to me. I kept taking more than prescribed and then would end up short & afraid of withdrawal & afraid to tell my doctor that I messed up.

Well, with the help of the great people here in this forum I saw that I didn't go into withdrawal as quickly as with Percocets, etc... The subs lasted long enough for me to see my Sub doctor.

Yes, at first I was scared too. What if he gets upset & takes me off the subs?

Well, it was quite the opposite. My doctor was pleased that I told the truth. He upped my Subs dosage and even gave me extra for what he said was "for when you take extra". He explained that with subs, even if you take more, you will not get high. You will only run short at the end of the month.

Now, I am more or less settled in to the subs. I have adjusted and I take it as my doctor orders. It takes a bit to adjust your mind to thinking you don't haave to pop a pill every minute. I know how you feel. Beleive me.

I'm sure things will level out for you. Don't give up.

Please let me know how things are going for you.

Love, Queenie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:11 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone *holds breath*...

It's been about 24 hours since my last real dose of suboxone (i broke the other half a strip into several pieces taken throughout the day, the latest being at midnight) and i'm doing my best not to touch this pill, although it feels impossible.

By now I realize that it's not withdrawal pushing me to use, rather the fear of withdrawal that pushed me to buy, and the immense need/desire to alter my state of mind now. I want to say that it's the encouragement i've found here keeping me from using right now, but I'm thinking the real reason may just be I don't want to waste it, seeing as how I think i can still feel the suboxone propping me up, and I know that can 'cancel out' the effects of the illicit pill.

*sigh* I dont know how long I will make it, it seems impossible that at the end of the day i'll have /not/ taken the pill, if anyone here knows what i mean..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I know what you mean and I hope you haven't taken the pill yet. Are you in Canada or no? That makes it easier for people to give you suggestions. You can make it without that pill. You do NOT want to get kicked out of a sub program or have to start all over. Hang in there. All you have to do is sleep, wake up, and get to the doctor. I will be checking this first thing in the morning to see how you are doing. Hang in there.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:23 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Generally, I tell people to be honest with their doctors. That has served me well in the 26 months that I have been taking suboxone. There were a few times when I literally went running to my doctor because my dosing was not right and he was very compassionate and understanding. Of course, every doctor is different, so tread carefully, but I don't think we should ever be afraid of the truth if we are truly trying to get better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:25 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey everyone, thanks again- I just realized I never came back to update this thread so here's what happened:

Predictably, I /did/ take that pill, and it made me feel like a cheat. =/ That feeling, however, in addition to the sort of advice I was given here, convicted me that I should tell my doctor about it, and I did. And as was suggested, he upped my dosage! But his one momentary expression of exasperation- somehow simultaneously jaded yet genuinely disappointed- was, for some reason, something I never want to see again. I knew from the minute I left his office that I would NOT allow myself to disappoint like that again. And this was without having even truly grasped yet that such programs do not allow for slip ups, and that to do so would likely mean to be expelled! =oX

Queenie was absolutely right, it does take a bit of time to feel like and accept that "you don't have to pop a pill every minute." Before that visit, I had yet to wrap my mind around the fact that this is to be the /end/ of getting high and not just something to help me go longer and longer /between/ them.

At the time, that would have been far too big a pill for me to swallow (NPI, lol..)- but for me at least, that's the beauty of suboxone!. That, once regimented, it actually returns the ability to think, reason and feel like a normal , functioning, human being again- as opposed to a jumping marionette with addiction and drugs pulling your strings. IOW like it snaps you out of it. The days when I was excited for how low my tolerance would be by the next time I used, feel like an era ago. I get it now, just how much the drugs had changed and enslaved me. And now I want more than anything to never go back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks for the update. I'm so glad you are back on track. Good on you for being honest with your doc - and good on him/her for listening and increasing your dose. I hope things keep going better for you.

I'm really glad suboxone has done all those things for you (that you described). It's done the same for me. If you'd told me back during my active addiction that I could take this little orange pill - a type of opiate - and have my life turned completely around, I would have told you that you were out of your mind. But suboxone did just that for me.

Keep up the good work!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.