It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tomorrow makes one week I've been on Suboxone. From reading all of the posts about dosage, and how I feel, I think the dr might have started me out at too much. Two 8mg a day. I was taking 8-9 7.5 Hydros a day, sometimes 10/500's too, sometimes less than 8-9 a day, but 8-9 on average. Sunday the 4th, I could barely keep my eyes open, and yesterday I fell asleep at work TWICE. Not good. I'm on 300mg Wellbutrin SR, and I was taking 2mg of xanax a day, but got it down to just 1mg. This morning I slipped. Instead of taking my Sub, I took 3 7.5/500 Hydrocodones, and I feel so bad now! I mean, I'm finally not falling asleep at my desk, but I feel like I've just commited the WORST CRIME EVER! I don't know what to do. I know I need to call my doctor, and I'm scared(yes at 31 years old I'm scared) that the doctor is going to be mad at me and not help me anymore. I feel like such a failure. I know the answer was to NOT turn to pain pills, but I did, and now I regret it so bad!

Post subject: relapses and honesty
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:05 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Jin--

I'm sorry that you're having a hard time adjusting to suboxone and that you relapsed and that you're feeling so bad about it. I know it can take a little time to adjust to being on sub, and for some longer than others. I think you should call your doctor right away to talk about your dose because if it's making you fall asleep at work, and you're still having so much trouble after a full week, that must be really hard for you to deal with. Now of course I don't know your doctor but I just want to share with you that I recently was struggling with the same type of thing--I have relapsed a LOT and I finally had a doctor's appointment and I told my doctor the truth. I too was afraid that my doctor would just want to take me off suboxone and that she would be mad. But...doctors need us to tell them the truth in order to help us! I was really afraid but I did tell my doctor the truth and I felt so much better after. My doctor was NOT mad and only wanted to take the info I provided in order to know how best to help me and also for her knowledge about how to use suboxone to help patients in general. Also, from what others on this forum have told me, it seems like most doctors understand that relapses DO happen and they would rather have their patients be honest and I have not yet heard of anyone getting kicked out of a program or anything because of a relapse...and in your case you are just starting on sub and it sounds like you need to have your dose adjusted. So..of course I don't know how YOUR doctor will react for certain but I do want to encourage you to be honest with your doctor. I know I felt so much better. And...being honest makes us more accountable, I think, and that helps prevent relapses. Anyway, I really agonized about being honest with my doctor and it was really hard for me to bring myself to do it but it worked out well when I did and nothing bad happened to me as a result. I hope the same will be true for you. Ok, good luck, and keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I was truthful with my doctor and she was understanding. What she told me has had me really puzzled?! She told me I was NOT supposed to break the Suboxone in half. She said the manufacturer said not to break the pill? She had me on 16mg(two 8mg pills a day) and wants to lower my dosage to one 8mg pill a day. However, she told me not to break the pill, for any reason. I told her that I felt that taking 1/2 a pill at a time was more than enough for me, but she said no, take the whole pill first thing in the morning. Has anyone else been told that you can't break your Suboxone? Thanks, autonomyous for the reply. I really aprreciate your support. :

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:10 pm 
Hi Jin - it's gonna be OK. After taking 2 8mg subs a day for a week, I'm sure 3 7.5mg hydros didn't even touch you. It sounds like your troubles were due to too high of a dose (as your doc acknowledged). I think you you will feel much better on the lower dose. And YES you CAN cut the tablet. That is why it is scored! It don't know what is up with some of these docs and the misinformation they are giving out.
Don't kick yourself. Many of us have had slips and outright relapses (I know I have). So just put it behind you and get back on track. You already told your doc which is a huge step. If you have any more hydros I would get rid of them ASAP. Keep moving forward and keep posting. You will find a lot of support here.
Lilly

Post subject: We are human!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey There Jin- First off....by all means, do NOT beat yourself up about your little "slip" up!! It happens, we are all human. You acknowledged it, told your doctor, and now you can keep moving forward. Everyone's chemistry is so different. What works for one, doesn't always mean it works for another. However, sometimes, doctors only know how to follow guidelines, and seem to forget to treat each individual accordingly. It certainly sounds like your dose was too high. I am relatively new to Subs, and it has taken me weeks to find the right dose. My doctor started me on 8mgs in the morning, and another 8mgs at night. After about two and a half weeks, I was able to go down to 10mgs. I broke an 8mg pill in half, took one half in the AM, then I took the other half, and broke that in half (which makes 2mgs) and took that in the afternoon...then another 4mgs at night. Now, here I am 4 weeks later...and I am only taking 8mgs. I am taking 4mgs (half of an 8mg tab) in the morning, and the other half (4mgs) at night. Eventually I want to only dose once a day, and because of the long half life of Sub, that is supposed to be the ideal dosing schedule....unless you are dosing for pain, then they say to dose in small increments thru out the day. Everyone I know that is taking Subs, break the 8mgs pills in half. My doctor actually broke the first 8mg pill for me...on my induction day.

Give yourself some time to adjust to Sub. It can take a few days in between each dosing change you make, to actually notice a difference. Hopefully you will find the lowest dose possible, that keeps all the W/D's and cravings away. Once you find the dose that you are comfortable with, you shouldn't feel tired. I am so happy that your doctor was understanding. Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing. Thinking of you...Lisa

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

:) Hello Jin,

We are all human and make mistakes! The good thing is you were really strong and realized your mistakes right away, it just goes to show you just how strong you are!

It sounds like you may have been on too high of a dose. When I first started subs, a little over 3 months ago I was prescribed 2 1/2 8mgs daily, which I split into 3 times a day, and was so tired I was falling asleep at 5p.m everyday. So after some advice from fellow sub users I cut my dose down to 3/4 of a 8mg in the a.m and 3/4 at 5pm and it seems to be so much better.

So as far as not cutting a 8mg in half I have never heard of that. I have always cut mine in half, as someone else above mentioned, my dr. cut my first few doses in half during my first few doses. He has also advised me to do so.

Good luck!! Don't dwell on the past-Look forward to a better future! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi jin, I'm so sorry to hear you're having a rough time. I'll second what everyone here has already said - you were probably on too high a dose and YES, you can cut the pill in half. My doc has me on about 2.5 pills per day (for pain). Very weird that you doc said that...VERY weird. Maybe she just doesn't want you to be your own doctor and she only wants you to follow her instructions? Just a thought.

As for your relapse, think of it this way: Relapses can be deadly. Your relapse was "tiny" (if such a word is appropriate). You regret it, which to me says you're probably not going to do that again anytime soon. (I'm tired, so I hope this makes even a little bit of sense!)

Take care of yourself, stop beating yourself up, and keep posting. We're here for you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I continue to be astonished at the lack of knowledge many of these doctors seem to display. Don't cut the pills? WHAT?

So, if you were to taper in an effort to eventually quit using suboxone, this doctor would have you jump at 2MG? :shock:

I very rarely tell anyone to NOT listen to their doctor, but, um.... :roll:

Anyway, I'm guessing you noticed that your "slip" didn't even effect you, right? That's one of the primary functions of suboxone, it renders just about every form of opioid pain reliever pretty much null.

Good move telling your doctor the truth though, that shows that you are truly trying to get better.

Hang in there and as others have mentioned, try not to beat yourself up too much.