It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sleeping when you jump
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone, I'm fairly new to the site, but have already read a few threads, and got some nice encouragement. I recently jumped off 2mg of Subs which, I have been on sub for four years. So I am currently on Day 4, and have to say I was doing pretty good up until last night. Last night, I wasn't able to sleep at all. I tried Melatonin 1mg, but that didn't touch me. Furthermore, I was extremely restless. Simply put, it was a terrible night, and I'm not sure I can handle another like that, so I am hoping that others have dealt with this, and maybe have some helpful suggestions?

I'm only looking for natural or OTC remedies. I dont have a doctor's appointment coming up, and I dont have the opportunity to get a prescription, so hopefully there's other effective methods. Tonight I am going to try to jog a little on the treadmill and then shower and take the melatonin again, but I'm fairly desperate for effective suggestions.

Thank you

-

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there breezhy and welcome! Yes, "sleep" issues are just part of the process, and are something that to a certain extent I guess just must be "tolerated" until our bodies adjust (and they will adjust!), but there are a few things you might do that help.
Be careful with the Meletonin. It is a hormone used to "re-set" falling asleep time, and not a "sleeping pill". I found a bunch of sleep info on links posted on my thread on p. 12, "Flying Towards Freedom"...you may want to check those out for more info.

These are some things that have helped me get a bit more rest:

1. Hot baths
2. Clonidine (blood pressure med, but prescription- really helps a lot in early wdl though if you can get it!
3. Calm ES (all natural herbal supplement that contains Valerian (and a bunch of other herbs).
4. Daily exercise - at least 30 min. cardio a day (more if you can manage it)

Remember to stay hydrated, Gatorade, G2, Pedialyte type products will replace electrolytes you lose from sweating and diarrhea.

Keep posting!
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:35 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

OTC sleep AIds that work

Melatonin 3 mg

Benadryl Antihistamine Only take directed amount, it makes you very tired, but too much has the opposite effect.

These two help me with sleep.

Good luck, and best wishes to you. Anyone trying to get off Suboxone has suffered with lack of sleep, it's the most common symptom, so you have the collective empathy of every single person reading your post.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Gingerpop wrote:
OTC sleep AIds that work

Melatonin 3 mg

Benadryl Antihistamine Only take directed amount, it makes you very tired, but too much has the opposite effect.

These two help me with sleep.

Good luck, and best wishes to you. Anyone trying to get off Suboxone has suffered with lack of sleep, it's the most common symptom, so you have the collective empathy of every single person reading your post.

Hey GP! :D Glad that worked for you!
BTW, though breezhy, be careful as there is some "debate" about the Meletonin amount and usage..what I learned (and I could be wrong of course) is that Meletonin, if used at all, should be 1mg or less and only for 1 week to help re set your clock. More can disrupt sleep and even make one feel "hung over" the next day. Personally I shelved mine after I did some research.
Also, I remember Trainer giving a big "warning' to someone to NOT use Benadryl as it makes RLS 1000xs worse. The person saw the warning "too late" and said it was the worse night they had had yet due to the Benedryl. Somewhere around p. 11-12ish I posted a list of prducts to stay away from as I also learned the hard way by taking the "wrong" kind of Unisom which aggrivated RLS- horrible night!! If you cant find the list and want me to re-post for you, let me know.

BUT we are all "different" as well as the same, so you may find what worked for me and others does not work for you. Just trying to help you avoid some of the mistakes I made :)
BF

Mahatma Gandhi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Butterflying, Thank you so much for the reply. It's nice to know that there are other people currently going through a similar mess, and being sucessful, as well as caring about others succeeding too. This morning when I wrote this post, I was in a pretty bad place from the RLS that drove me insane.

I just jogged for 25 minutes and than walked right after for an additional 20 minutes, so I am hoping that will help with the sleep and RLS. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get the Valerian product, and I am about to eat dinner, which will help with the fog I have had all day. It was a very rough day, although I got through it, and it was not as bad as full agonist w/d. I had to sit at a boring training all day for work for 8 hours. Thankfully I was able to eat a little food for lunch, so it helped a bit.

Tonight I think I am just going to stick with the Melatonin on a mg again. Theres no way I can take a risk with the Bennadryl when RLS is my biggest enemy. Thank you for informing me of a possible side effect which could have been devastating and lead to me sinking.

Anyways appreciate the help. Sending good vibes your way! I've read a bunch of your posts, and you seem like a great person.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

the best advice I can give to get through those horrible nights (which were always the worst part of opiate withdrawal for me) is to not try and make yourself fall asleep by laying in bed all night. Try for maybe an hour or two to fall asleep and if you can't, get up and do something. Staying in bed awake all night forces you to focus on only the withdrawal and lack of sleep which is terribly miserable.

Take hot showers/baths as often as possible and stay away from benadryl type medications. Exercise was very helpful for me. I wish you could get your hands on clonodine because that was the most helpful for me (its prescription only).

JUST DONT FIGHT IT. if you can't sleep, accept it. Get up, do something and if you get tired, try to fall asleep again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:17 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Wow, havent seen you in like 4 1/2 months @livin

The sleep thing IMO was the worst withdrawal symptom. It gets better tho. For me, when day 12 came so did sleep. Not all at once neither, its a couple weeks of gradual improvements after days 12-14. You'll probably feel surprised when its all over with. I'm sure surprised

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For me, sleep came around at the 2 week mark and rapidly improved every night. I sleep really good now at the 50 day mark and have no problems falling or staying asleep. I do wake up earlier now instead of sleeping past 9 am on days off. I can't sleep past 7 but I like getting up early now so its not really an issue for me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I believe Butterflying was referring to me with the Benadryl. I had my worst night of my recovery so far when I took 4 Benadryl over a 4 hour period. Big mistake. My RLS was out on control that night. Right now I am on lucky day #13 and sleep is still an issue, but I'm obviously getting enough to survive.

Like others have said is hot baths and showers seem to work wonders. I have heard clonadin is amazing too if you can get your hands on it, but for me the issue was money, so I had to do it full cold turkey. It seems the only real thing to help with sleep is time. Your body will force you to sleep when it absolutely needs it. You would be surprised how long you can go with only an hour or two of sleep a day. The key is not dwelling on it and staying in bed all night in misery.

The one thing I have found that seems to help me relax a bit is just otc painkillers like tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc.. It might simply be placebo effect, but hey whatever works right?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:26 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback. I'm on Day 5 today, and last night was a mild improvement, but still shitty. I believe I got an hour of half sleep last night, but it still feels like I did not sleep at all. From 11pm to 3am was manageable, than after 3 am until now the RLS has been kicking my ass again. Insomnia feels so small in comparison to RLS. I'm just praying it gets easier tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Buy some epsom salt and jump in a hot bath if you can. I had to do that every night just to get relief from rls and the second I hit the water, all the leg pain stopped. It was the only thing I had to help. I used no rxcomfort meds at all and relied on hot baths to get me through the roughest days.