It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sleep problems
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 11:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Need some assistance ... I have a split daily dose of Suboxone, 6mg morning and 6mg evening.

Lately I've taken on another subject at school, which now means I have four 8:30 starts and one 11:30AM start (on the Monday). Bitch of a timetable I know, but there's not much I can do about it.

It's a common complaint on here that while on Sub, many need more hours sleep than they would usually. I used to work fine / excellent on 8 hours sleep. I now need 10-11 hours sleep minimum. Another part of the problem is that because I have a dose in the evening as well, I get a burst of energy at night no matter how tired I am, and it often keeps me up.

I'm fine after the weekend, which is usually the time I catch up on sleep. Monday morning I feel refreshed, Tuesday I'm tired, Wednesday I'm rat tired cranky ... by Friday I find it hard to be in class because everyone's fucking driving me nuts and I just wanna kill people. I actually skipped class today (Friday morning) to catch up on sleep, because by the end of the week it'd just gotten so bad that I was a difficult crankmeister to be around. I slept in 12 hours!!

So the two parts of the problem is .... needing significantly more sleep while on Sub ... the other is, having my evening dose giving me a burst of energy so I find it hard to sleep, thus not going to bed earlier as I would normally.

I've started taking my evening dose earlier - ie 5-6pm, and it's helped the problem a bit. People may suggest "take all your dose at once in the morning" ... but I have done that in the past, and found that I actually need MORE sleep when I do, plus I lose my libido completely (I think both these side-effects are reliant on peak dose for me?).

Has anyone found a way to minimise the need for more sleep on Sub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 12:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Working out on a regular basis helped me some...what helped me them most was waking up at the same time every day even if I had the opportunity to sleep in. I don't know why this worked, I'm sure there must be an explanation for it but hell if I know. It just seemed like if I got up every day at 7:30 I felt better than if I tried to vary my waking times.

It was hard though because with work, school and a kid sometimes I was up until 3am doing homework.

Can you take power naps?

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 3:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah I've become a fan of the nana nap actually... Especially if I finish school and then have a client I gotta see after ... I try to get a 45 minute powernap.

I'm just hoping there's some kinda way to get my sleep requirements back to how they were with no Sub, while still being on Sub ... that'd be awesome ultimate like.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:08 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey TJ, when I was on Suboxone, I slept a LOT too. If sleeping were an Olympic sport, I would have taken Gold, Silver and Bronze!

I didn't do anything to correct my sleeping while on Suboxone, but once I quit Suboxone, my sleeping went completely the other way and I had to teach my brain/body how to sleep properly again. For the longest time, I couldn't get to sleep any earlier than 2am. That went on for months and I finally decided to start training myself to sleep a little earlier by moving my bedtime up by about 15 minutes, I did that once every week or so until I FINALLY got to the point where I can hit the sack around 11pm and sleep pretty normally now AND function normally during the day.

I wonder if you can kinda do the reverse of what I did, move your bedtime back by 15 minutes or so and train your body to function on less sleep?

Also, like DoaQ said, I keep a pretty strict sleeping regimen. If I vary my bedtimes or wake up times, it seems to screw with me?

Good luck man, I hope you're able to figure something out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:20 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I too had problems sleeping when I started taking Suboxone. Several people had suggested Melatonin so I tried it, the first night I took only 1mg, it didnt do anything so after a couple of nights and changing the Melatonin Dose I got the Melatonin to work for me. Last Night I took 6mg of Melatonin and it knocked me out all night long. I am a bit groggy this morning so I am going to lower the Melatonin down to 3mg, as in maybe it just need to be built up in my system. You should try Melatonin, it is a completely Safe and Natural supplement. No probs with over-dosing other than the grogginess for me. I checked it out and found that Melatonin has so many useful effects other than just helping in returning to a natural Sleep Cycle. It is cheap, safe and works so give it a try.