It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sleep Issues
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been having some sleep issue's ever since I got on suboxone.
At night when I lay down for bed i can't sleep, i just lay there awake with my mind racing. It doesn't matter what time i lay down to go to bed ether, it can be 8 p.m. or 11 p.m.
I will finally get to sleep around 4 or 5 in the morning, sometimes even 6. Then it's like once i fall asleep i cant wake back up. People can come in my room and say hey get up, or talk to me and sometimes i will hear them and answer their question's but it's like there is something pinning me down to the bed to where I'm so tired i cant even lift my head up off my pillow.
It causes problems with my family and with my fiancée, she believes most the time I'm just being lazy and don't want to be around her and the kids. When really it's because i finally got to sleep at 5 or 6 a.m. and come noon 1 a clock I'm in my paralyzing deep sleep, i don't know how else to put it but it feels like I'm paralyzed when I'm in that deep sleep.
Anyone else experience this? or know anyone who has?

Post subject: Re: Sleep Issues
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:05 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

*raises hand*

I have also been having this issue since I got on suboxone seven months ago. I have had some sleep issues prior to taking suboxone, but nothing like this. I started drinking more without really realizing what I was doing at first. Lately I had been trying to cut down on the drinking. No issues there whatsoever... except sleep!! When drinking, I usually fell asleep by 4, although there were always nights that I couldn't fall asleep until 8 am or later, sometimes not at all. When I did fall asleep, I was exhausted. I often sleep the day away, which is not good since I am actively searching for employment.

I hadn't gotten a new primary dr since I moved here, so yesterday I went to a walk-in urgent care clinic, as the dr that my addiction counseler referred me to practices there anyways, so I set up primary care at the same time. The dr seemed like he was in a huge hurry, and frankly, I was too, as I'd been there over two hours. Long story short, he prescribed Ambien for the sleep issue.

Now I have heard all sorts of stories regarding Ambien. I even personally know people who have had those incidents you hear about - sleep-walking over to neighbors' houses and such. But, on the other hand, I have tried everything else except probably seroquel. I've tried every OTC sleep aid imaginable, both pharmaceutical and herbal, I've taken benzodiazepines (off the street) before... Nothing has worked.

So obviously last night was the first night, but... It worked! I fell asleep 30-45 min after taking it (so around 1 pm), and I woke up just before 9 this morning alert and rested with no desire to go back to sleep.

If you haven't exhausted all other options, please do, as some people have very extreme side effects. However, if you're really at the end of your rope, it's worth a shot. I will keep you posted if you think this is something you might do... As I said, I've only taken it one night. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone that lives alone until they know how they react to it, but it sounds like you don't.

Trust me, I never wanted to rely on a sleep med... but I think with all the years of drug abuse, it will be a while til my brain adapts...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I hear you.. I have trouble getting to sleep at all, but once I'm out I can sleep for up to 18 hours, finding it really hard to get up; sleeping through alarms, loud noises, or my housemates talking to me.
So hard to function to a full schedule this way too. Have to cut back on work, go from full time study to part time. :?
I just want to feel normal.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you're taking your Suboxone in the late afternoon or early evening or right before bed, that could be the issue. While on Suboxone, I learned that I couldn't take my dose any later than 4pm. If I took it after 4pm, I would have a heck of a time getting to sleep.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:03 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I have had the same issue, I take a nightly "cocktail" of meds to knock me out: 2 somas, 2 gabapentin, 2 Advil pm, and 1 klonipin. It stinks to need all that when the objective is to get off some of those meds!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have had the same issues with sleep paralysis and night terrors while on suboxone. 8mg. I saw a psychiatrist and got a script for a medicine called Prazosin, which is a blood pressure reducer that is supposed to help PTSD folks with nightmares. After taking that awhile---and calling ghost busters over to my house to exorcize the demons---the sleep paralysis nightmares went away.

However... I used to have this sort of thing happen to me when I was a child. Long before I ever became addicted to opiates and long before I got on suboxone. As a child, a psychiatric hospital determined I was low on dopamine and prescribed dopamine medication (treatment plan not followed).

I know what it feels like. All of a sudden you feel like you are not alone and that there is something dark and menacing watching you with extreme hatred. You feel your mattress depress under the weight of something small walking over it, something small like a cat, but other times you feel the mattress depress right by you with more weight and it feels like you could roll into the depression.

You cannot move. Not to save your life. Sometimes it feels like you are laying upon an ocean and your body rolls with the waves...waves that try to carry you off to your death? Not necessarily. If you relax and let go, you will indeed go, vividly and lucidly, floating out of your bed, out of the bedroom, and into other areas of your house. If you resist, and fail, you might even have a more terrible experience. Like a cold hand touching you. Or maybe whatever this cold, evil thing is, it wants to possess you, so it begins to enter you in your solarplex and your teeth chatter because it is so cold, and your stomach twists in knots because it is so evil and foul. You try to resist this unholy violation of your body, but you cannot move. Pray, pray, pray to God for help.

This happened to me both on and off of suboxone. As a child, I experienced demonic possession night terrors too. I grinded my teeth. In my early 20's, I started experiencing a "shocking" sensation as I was about to drift off to sleep, like someone was shocking my brain (the top) with actual electricity. I began to experience this much more frequently when I began taking opiate pain killers. When that happens, I see a flash of white light and my hearing gets loud. This has happened on suboxone, but also with other opiates.

I experience difficulties falling asleep and staying asleep and getting any REM sleep. I have had 2 sleep studies. Found out I had sleep apnea. I use a cpap now. Despite that, I still do not feel like I get any quality sleep. The quality of life suffers as a result of this sleep deprivation. Yet, this too did not begin when I started suboxone.

I find that my blood pressure goes down and I have energy to function when I take the right dose of suboxone. But I am always trying to get off because I fear what would happen if I ever lost my job and health insurance. I would be soooooooo screwed. Another subject entirely.

There are books written about sleep paralysis which can help you. There is a pdf version, about $10. I think the author is Ryan Hurd and the book is Sleep Paralysis. Read it. There are lots of common traits to sleep paralysis night terrors. The author had good suggestions for stopping these experiences from terrorizing you.
http://dreamstudies.org