It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sleep and Sboxone
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:42 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

It has been said that more sleep is needed when taking Suboxone, and that Suboxone can interfere with sleep -- so what are some good sleep inducers found to work well with Suboxone?

It would be nice to have a list of OTC and Rx drugs that work well. Or, for that matter any techniques for getting more sleep -

since at times Suboxone can interfere with sleep for some.

S

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:26 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

it can also cause or increase sleep apnia and was told this by the clinic.

Post subject: Re: Sleep and Sboxone
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

scruffy wrote:
It would be nice to have a list of OTC and Rx drugs that work well. Or, for that matter any techniques for getting more sleep

For help with insomnia, Dr. J stated:

"there are many medications... in order of potency I would suggest benadryl, clonidine, hydroxyzine, trazedone, 'newer sleeping pills' (ambien, lunesta, sonata, rozerem), 'old sleeping pills' (halcion, restoril), other benzos like alprazolam or ativan, and finally major tranquilizers like small doses of seroquel. As for benzos, the risk is that when combined with opiates, benzos cause respiratory depression. The risk is mainly for people who are not tolerant to either the suboxone or the benzo. If a person is taking suboxone and not getting 'buzzed' from it, a benzo is really not a significant problem."

Here is the link if you would like to read the entire thread:

http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=12&highlight=#12

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:35 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi everyone !

I am newbie to this forum and to suboxone.

This is week one for Suboxone for me. I have been having trouble falling to sellp period and especially staying asleep. I took my evening dose a little earlier that I usually do last night, I took it at about 7pm, went to bed about 1am or so.

I have had years of a history of having trouble sleeping, and doctors have tried many different drugs, and I have tried many OTC's meds before that.

Seroquel worked pretty good, but has a lot of side effects I definately do not even want.

Remeron 30 mg at bedtime has worked the best for me, until I started taking suboxone.

Remeron is available in generic as mirtazepine, it comes in 15, 30 and 45 mg doses. It is not a benzo, and I have never felt hung over or foggy the next morning form it either. I have never developed a tolerance to it either, I started on 30 mg and it worked 1st night, didn't have to wait like some ad drugs require.

Hope that may help you.

I hope that after I get used to suboxone that this insomnia goes away, anyone had insomnia at the bginning of suboxone treatment then it went away after the brain adjust to it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Propofol. Night-cap of champions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:15 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]I did, and still do have problems sleeping ever since starting sub. My doctor is somewhat of an
ass in the fact that he will not prescribe anything for sleep. SO I take an over the counter sleep
aid called Melatonin. I know that it is quite common, but have found it t be quite effective as well.
I take 3, 3mg pills at night. And when I wake up in the morning, I don't fell like I "took something".
You know, like drugged. Since it's all natural. They make a brand that is called the Super Snooze
mix, that contains other natural ingredients, such as chamomile, and lavander, and a few other
relaxing and natural sleep aids.

Hope this helps! Take Care~[/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:58 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Funny, buprenorphine makes me need about 12 hours of sleep for some reason. Even 10 hours can make me feel like I didn't sleep enuogh, it's weird.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow, all this is news to me. I always had trouble sleeping before. Even when I had almost 3 years sober I found it very difficult to sleep. Then I relapsed... The I went to rehab! Got introduced to buprenorphine, was able to sleep like a baby UNTILL they decided it was time for me to come off of it, tho I will say didn't get left in any acute W/Ds(12 day detox). After that was virtually impossible to sleep untill i got introduced to clonidine and I was out like a light! But that only worked for a short period of time after being off opioids. Out of rehab, relapsed virtually instantly. Ended up at a pain management clinic because of my bum shoulder(labrum tear left untreated for 18 months by doctors who refused to order an MRI, I ended up relapsing as I couldn't take the pain anymore, doctors failed me for a year before I relapsed). Anyway, surgery, blah blah, pain never resolved, asked the pain management doctor to switch me onto buprenorphine as it had given me relief while in rehab and he did. Since he switched me to the buprenorphine, I have not had any trouble sleeping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's interesting reading this. The whole time I was on suboxone I had to get at least 8 hours of sleep at the minimum or my next day was ruined. I always felt awful if I didn't sleep enough. I never knew why but I'm comforted to know that it wasn't just me. If my husband want to go out for the evening I would get really bad anxiety about staying out too late because I'd be worried about not getting enough sleep. It was one of the only things we've fought about in the last 10 years! It was a major issue for me and I never understood it. Reading all this is like putting 2 and 2 together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got laid off actually because when I first started subs I would doze off at my desk at work in the morning. I was used to sleeping 2-3 hours and working from 6am-8pm 3 days of the week, so it was a long hard shift and it was in a dark room sitting at a computer.

I never once fell asleep at school in me entire life, I never understood how someone could get that relaxed but on subs it's a different story.

After I got caught 3 times I was the first laid off when times got tough, and I still have a bad reputation with that boss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ You were on too high of a dose. That used to happen to me when I was on methadone. If you;re on the right dose, you won't fall asleep during the day..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have found there to be a strong correlation between the amount of suboxone I take and the quality of sleep I get, and the amount needed.

I've been on suboxone for over 2 years now and am down to 0.8 mg daily. I'll tell you that I am constantly tired, I have been on this amount for several weeks now (I've been slowly tapering down over the past 6 months from 8 mg to eventually .25 mg)

If I up my dosage to say 2 mg, I'll be up all night with insomnia. It's really terrible, feel slightly sickish with the need to have my eyes closed (they feel so heavy) but just can't fall asleep.

Finding the perfect amount is ultimately the best solution.

BUT, if you do not have time for this then there are many other routes to take. OTC sleep aids can help wonders, diphen-hydramamine works very well for sleep, certain Tea's that can be found in the grocery store help with sleep. Celestial Seasonings has a great sleepy-time brand that I swear by.

I have an old bottle of Trazodone for the worst worst cases, where I"ll break a piece of a pill off and take maybe 10-20mg to fall asleep, but this is always a last resort - and one I doubt you have access too. Seroquel is a scary medication imho, seen it do crazy things to people.

I hope any of this helps, if you've tried it all and it didn't work please let me know there are other ideas that have worked for me personally that I hadn't shared yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

^ Yeah, that weird wired feeling from taking too much sub wasn't fun either. I remember it well. It's so imperative to be on the correct dose with suboxone.. I don't think any of us can stress that enough. And the whole 'less is more' theory is so true in this case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:18 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am still trying to time a dose of 16mg a day where I can get a good night's sleep. I have tried melatonin capsules a few times and am suprised at how good they work. Better than Tylenol PM and it's a non-drug over the counter pill.

I have found that taking a small dose of Suboxone about 3 or 4 hours before I go to bed works the best so far. The problem I have with sleep is staying up too late or not being able to wake up because I feel too sick or comatose to wake up. I think the timing of the dose as well as the amount is very important to how well you sleep. It does take a bit of experimenting to see what works. I've been on it for over a year but I still have a lot of nights where I can't sleep or can't wake up. I don't think I would take more than 4mg in the 3 to 4 hours where I know I need to be in bed. But at the same time I know if I don't take something around then I will have a hard time waking up.

It would be smart to keep a journal of the time and amount of dosage and the time you sleep to help get a good schedule going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:16 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

It seems like everyone is different when it comes to this issue. I've met people who say Suboxone makes them hyper while others have said they feel like sleeping all the time. Me, personally, I have never slept so good in my life and have no troubles with it. It's one of the reasons I love my suboxone. If I couldn't sleep, I'd get some seroquel or benadryl, melatonin perhaps.

Post subject: Best sleep in years
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm like you healingwaters! I've been getting the best sleep ever since I've been on suboxone! Sometimes though, during the day it's weird....if I'm up doing things I have tons of energy, but as soon as I sit down to read, watch t.v., get on the computer... I get sooo sleepy! Get back up and I'm energized again...strange. But like I said at night I haven't had any problems getting to sleep and staying asleep, so I can't complain!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:47 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Wow I never realized this was from suboxone. I usually sleep like 12 hours and still feel so tired when I get up. Is that normal? Figured it was paws, but wasn't sure since the suboxone seemed to be working and didn't feel much paws otherwise.

Post subject: so tired!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am new to this site but not to Suboxone. I have been on Sub for 4 years. I am also on Effexor XR. I have been suffering from insomnia since the beginning of treatment. I do not have trouble falling asleep, I just can not stay asleep. On average I usually go to bed around 10pm and then wake up just about every two hours, stay awake for about 30-45min then fall back asleep. I also find myself hungry every time I wake up (which has had a negative impact on my weight). I have tried multiple medications in the hopes of getting a full nights sleep. To name a few, Benadryl, Melatonin, Nortriptyline, Seroquel, Trazadone, Ambien and Xanax. Xanax worked the best but due to its addicting nature I didn't want to go down that road again and chose to stop using it. At this point I am exhausted and need some help. Is there anything left out there to try or am I at a point where I will need to decide if being off Suboxone is the only option for a better nights sleep?