It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Anyone tried to skip a day or two and than starting back up at a lower dose? I'm having a terrible time tapering down and Im gonna try to skip 2morow altogether and take 2-4 mg 4:30/ 5:00 fri evening, and continue at 2-4mg once a day from here on out! I know it's gonna be a miserable day or so " maybe not??" but Im miserable if I take less than 6-8 mg anyway! I'm really nervous but I've been wanting to do this for far to long now and just keep making excuses and putting it off till 2morow and so on and so forth. Any advice or help would be appreciated. I'll try to keep everyone posted on my progress the next few days but can't promise anything if I turn into a trainwreck!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:17 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have no info or experience on skipping days. I am curious how much you are tapering at a time? It can be difficult if you take a big drop at once. Say more than 25%. I do not think you will turn into a trainwreck, although it may feel like it. Subox. is a very complex drug. One thing for sure, we have all sliced and diced this tapering thing every which way and then some. I have found that everyone has a unique experipence & outcome. Good luck & remember if you want it bad enough ANYTHING is possible. Wishing you peace & success....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sweet brings up a very good point, if you're tapering your dose by amounts greater than 25% at a time, you'll more than likely feel pretty decent wd from it. Then, once you get around the "ceiling", which is usually in and around 4mg, most of us suggest that you cut your taper to no more than 10% at a time.

Trying to skip days is not a bad idea. Skipping days will certainly help clear the Suboxone out of your system, but it may be too much for you to handle?? It's hard to say.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:55 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Are you varying your dose by two milligrams? Like taking between 2 to 4 a day? IMO, that is way to big of a difference to stabilize. Stick to a dose for at least two weeks (3 or 4 milligrams would be good) and then try to take a .25 to a full milligram off.

Slow and steady wins the race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If you are having trouble going from 6mg-4mg you could alternate days, taking 6 and then 4 and so on until you stabilize and then just take 4mg. Essentially you would be taking 5mg everyday, or you could just drop from 6mg to 5mg.

If you are having trouble getting from 6-4 I don't think skipping a day or 2 is going to help. It may actually make your symptoms worse because of the stacked up sub leaving. However I have no personal experience doing this, it is just a guess.

Whichever way you decide to move forward I wish you a successful taper!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I failed!!! Made it to lunch time and depression and anxiety was to much. Basically I wussed out. Yes I'm all over the place with my dosages sometimes and I know I need to stop that!! I'm gone give it a go again 2morow. I really feel like if I can make it 48 hrs without dosing it'll be alot easier for me to drop down significantly!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, you gave it a shot. I'd say try to decrease just 10% ONLY..If you do this and then give it 15-30 days do another 10% you should experience mnimal discomfort if any. I did this and was able to get way way down. Keep on keeping on friend...As long as you have the desire, you will eventually succeed YES..Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Adema wrote:
I failed!!! Made it to lunch time and depression and anxiety was to much. Basically I wussed out. Yes I'm all over the place with my dosages sometimes and I know I need to stop that!! I'm gone give it a go again 2morow. I really feel like if I can make it 48 hrs without dosing it'll be alot easier for me to drop down significantly!

If you are having trouble, then why don't you try an alternative strategy. Try stabilizing on one dose and then drop down slowly over time. Also, have you talked to your doctor about your difficulties.

You did not "fail" by the way. You might have made a small misjudgment, but that is how we learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:33 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

stephent wrote:
Adema wrote:

If you are having trouble, then why don't you try an alternative strategy. Try stabilizing on one dose and then drop down slowly over time. And/or try making the dosage reductions smaller. Also, have you talked to your doctor about your difficulties?

You did not "fail" by the way. You might have made a small misjudgment, but that is how we learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Well I did it!!! Sort of. I actually made it through 2-1/2 days without any subs and the week leading up was def a mother f....err but I could still sleep and as many times as the little suboxone man said "U can't do this". Guess what I did!!! Didn't miss any work .....lol. Even though when it was quiten time I was out the door in a hurry!!!! Anyway I'm comfortably at 4mgs and I can def get by on 2mgs!!! Strange thing about when I finally sucked it up and didn't take any subs the longer I went the better I felt mentally. Like by 10:00a.m I started getting depressed and negative and it would peak around 1-1:30 than slow start fading and by around 3:00 I starting feeling like and adrenaline kick and that was it, over, no more depression, I could start to feel to old me trying to come back By that I mean the me before opiates!!!! Anyway that's why I went with it for 2-1/2 days cause aside from alittle bit of sour stomach and getting hit with short waves of exhaustion I actually felt waaaayyyy better than I have in a long time!!! I know it was prob not the best way to taper down but it's been a long time coming and I was ready!!! Good luck and Godspeed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow I jus read my first post and I remember being so nervous and scared and you know what??? That's gone. It goes away. I have a dr appt 2morow and for the first time I'm not being paranoid about him being there or just some reason I wouldn't get my script filled. I can honestly say I don't care either way!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:07 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Adema wrote:
Well I did it!!! Sort of. I actually made it through 2-1/2 days without any subs and the week leading up was def a mother f....err but I could still sleep and as many times as the little suboxone man said "U can't do this". Guess what I did!!! Didn't miss any work .....lol. Even though when it was quiten time I was out the door in a hurry!!!! Anyway I'm comfortably at 4mgs and I can def get by on 2mgs!!! Strange thing about when I finally sucked it up and didn't take any subs the longer I went the better I felt mentally. Like by 10:00a.m I started getting depressed and negative and it would peak around 1-1:30 than slow start fading and by around 3:00 I starting feeling like and adrenaline kick and that was it, over, no more depression, I could start to feel to old me trying to come back By that I mean the me before opiates!!!! Anyway that's why I went with it for 2-1/2 days cause aside from alittle bit of sour stomach and getting hit with short waves of exhaustion I actually felt waaaayyyy better than I have in a long time!!! I know it was prob not the best way to taper down but it's been a long time coming and I was ready!!! Good luck and Godspeed!!

Why did you not take any for 2 1/2 days? Just to see what it felt like? Also, I always found that it didn't help to try to look for "the old you"... because you will never be like you were before opiates. This isn't a bad thing as at the end of the day we will know that we have a very strong desire and can do anything we set our mind too doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:28 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I didn't take anything for 2-1/2 days because once I got over the late morning/ early afternoon hump of the 1st day I actually felt great and just went with it. Also I strongly believed the longer I could go without taking any suboxone the easier it would be for me to continue on at a much lower dose from here on out. Told my doc 2day what I did and how I'm doin and he's fine with it, actually he was kinda impressed. We decided I'm gonna stay at 4 mg a day for the next two weeks and than try to do the same thing again and drop to 2mg.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:59 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I realize this is an old post but I figured I'd reply for anyone reading looking for advice about it..I've recently done exactly this. I felt that one day of w/d (actually 48hrs) would be better than being uncomfortable for the entire taper period. It worked pretty well imo. I had tapered down to 1.75 mg from 8mg in a 4 weeks span and I was miserable so I decided on "free" days I would skip. The w/d was awful during this time, but today I took .75 mg and boom I felt great.. No euphoria or anything but I was able to perform as I had on 1.75 mg. I'll do .75 tomorrow and then skip again and go down to .5 for two days.. And then .25 for 3 days and then make the jump... That's the plan anyways.. I hope this helps someone.