It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Since you asked....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I came here many years ago praying that this was the answer and that it might save my son. I believed that it really was the miraculous tool that would fix it. It was all a lie.

Now having been in the trenches for umm...an eternity I have come to believe that Suboxone is evil. It gives addicts currency to trade for all sorts of things like opiates! It enables an addict to take an opiate vacation without suffering any substantial withdrawal. Vicious Cycle: Withdrawal-->Subs--> vacation/drug test/pretend all is good (you choose)--> trade Subs for heroin RINSE & REPEAT. It is evil.

Not long ago I would still say that for some Subs really are a miracle. I don't believe that anymore. Now someone comes to my blog and tells me there is a new miracle Ibogaine forgive me if I sound tired, angry and skeptical.

Post subject: Re: Since you asked....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mady, don't know if you realize this, but the disease of addiction is affecting you too, even if you're not the one using Sub's. Addiction is a family disease.

One of the best things in favor of my recovery was when my family cut off contact, and left me to sink or swim. It killed my parents to do this, because they thought I might die out there. But they realized they were enabling me, which would have killed me anyways, so they had to let me go.

Next time they saw me was when I was in jail, where I got separated from heroin long enough to finally admit that I desperately needed help.

Have you talked to a drug councilor about how to handle the situation? There are also fellowships like All Anon for family members of alcoholics & addicts.

-- ji

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:17 pm 

Hi Mady. I understand your anger but I believe your anger is misplaced. Suboxone is a tool, like a knife, for example. The person wielding the tool has the power to make it do good or evil. A knife is innocuous until a person with evil intent uses it to harm someone else.

Your problem is your son. There is nothing that will make him want to live in recovery until he is ready. He has to reach a point where he is so tired and uncomfortable with what he is doing that he wants to leave it behind forever. The only thing that may be helpful to him right now is if everyone around him helps him reach bottom. Johnny Ikon knows what he is talking about, having gone through it himself. Your son needs to have any help being given to him cut off. And that is your department. I encourage you to go to Alanon and watch episodes of Intervention. It may take all of your strength to help your son reach his bottom, but please consider it, instead of blaming an inanimate object.

I am not saying that there aren't things surrounding sub to be mad at. For example, doctors who run cash-based suboxone practices and the price point set by big pharma force people into a position where they choose to sell half of their sub prescription to be able to afford it in the first place! There are problems with the system, but those are human problems, made by humans.

Suboxone is still a miracle for some because it takes away the powerful craving for your opiate drug of choice. For the people who are ready to live in recovery, that's where the miracle lies. Nothing else, so far, has been able to do that for a significant number of people.

I am so sorry that your son is abusing sub along with heroin. I will pray for the day that he is actually ready for recovery and gives it a real shot. Please get whatever support you need in order to make the tough decisions that will make a difference with your son. I know that I've said some challenging things to you, but I don't mean to be unkind. I know you're in an extremely difficult situation.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2014 2:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Just because your son, who shouldn't have been on suboxone in the first place if he wasn't really clean, abuses suboxone does not mean you can blame the drug. He should be yanked out of his suboxone program immediately for selling or trading his prescription, he could do serious jail time.

Suboxone is not a vacation drug. It is a serious tool only to be used when someone is truly ready to get clean, and your son obviously does not want to be clean. That is his fault, not the suboxone.
Suboxone is a miracle drug for those who use it as prescribed, such as myself.

I've been off drugs for months now thanks to it. I finally have my life back. Thanks to suboxone I am no longer afraid of waking up either in a hospital, in a jail, or in the grave. I have regained my healthy weight, and I have never been healthier. My suboxone regiment has saved my life.