It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Simple question
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Just a simple question can suboxone help get off methadone taking 40 mg a day or should i take all the oxys i have first to get off methadone or just start suboxone just sick of all of it thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:41 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi tkrocks -

Your simple question has a complicated answer.

I hope that you are doing this with a suboxone doctor... are you?

I AM NOT A DOCTOR - SO ALL OF THIS IS JUST AN OPINION.

Methadone is more difficult to move to suboxone over standard release type opiates. It has a longer half life, and the equivalency of suboxone and methadone is around 30-40mg's.

So, you can see where you are at a very tricky spot. If you could be lower on methadone, or comfortable for a couple of weeks on a standard 4 hour type release opiate - it would probably be an easier transition and induction.

That said, there are people here who have gone right from methadone to suboxone. The difference seems to be a couple things:

1- How much methadone are you on. 30 or less is better than 40.
2- How long do you wait for the right COWS score with Methadone's long half life?

The answers are hard. On a standard 4 hour type opiate - the rule of thumb is 24 hours from last dose. That was me. Runny nose, mild stomach issues, leg pain, etc.

To have the same great response I had, you probably have to go a few days without any opiate/methadone. Then the induction may not be as quick as you have lingering methadone in your system.

I'm sorry if this answer has been tricky/mixed. I have to be honest. If I were in your shoes - I'd probably consider moving to your percocet or short acting opiate for a week or more with NO Methadone. Then I'd see how I was doing. If thing seemed OK, then to start suboxone, I would wait a full 24 hours from the last percocet - and start my induction.

Again, all of this is really important to be done with a doctor if possible. We are here to support everyone - but this is a tricky area to be sure.

Please keep us posted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:53 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I was on methadone for many yrs and was switched to suboxone over a year ago. I don't recommend the change if you've been on methadone for a long time since there is a big difference between these two drugs. I had to go in-patient for the transition and couldn't get out of bed for 2 days. I was ok after they stabalized me on subs but have not been the same since. I would go back to methadone in a NY minute but for personal reasons outside my control.

If you plan to detox completly via suboxone that will probably be easier than quiting methadone.... at least thats what people say. I tapered to .25mg and have been unable to quit thus far... in fact i've gone back up to .50mg. My age [58] duration of use, and health have challenged my abstinence attempts so you don't necessarily want to use me as an example.