It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: side effects from subs
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:34 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

My fiance was hardcore addicted to OC's. He finally wised up and let me help him get off those EXPENSIVE life ruining pills. He has been on Sub's for about 8-8 1/2 months now, and for the past 2 months, he can not sleep....We went to his Dr. and he prescribed him a non-addictive sleeping aid, but my fiance says "it doesn't work"..... I love him to death and really want to help him as much as I can, but he is just becoming the biggest crab to be around when he doesn't get any sleep. We have tried melatonin, Advil PM, and plenty of other medications and nothing seems to work. Does anyone know what we could possibly do to help him. My man needs sleep!!!!

-Sick&Tired-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:21 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Trazadone has always helped me. I don't take it anymore. But, I took it for at least a couple years, before I got pregnant.
I've ALWAYS had trouble getting to/staying asleep. I've tried many sleep medications......over the counter and prescription, and this was the ONLY one that worked.......without being addictive or making me feel like a Zombie.

Trazadone is definitely safe to take with Sub too. My Sub doctor prescribed it for me. Actually, he STILL prescribes it for me......but I just don't take it. It would be even more difficult for me to get up in the middle of the night w/my infant.......on sleep medication! Plus, Im usually so tired, WHEN I DO get a chance to SLEEP.......I crash pretty easily!

I would have your boyfriend ask his Sub doctor about the Trazadone, his doctor shouldn't have a problem prescribing it for him. Its non-narcotic, and as far as I know.....its NOT ADDICTIVE.

I should warn you though (and this applies when taking MOST sleep aids) that if you take Trazadone too late at night, IT CAN make you feel groggy in the morning.

Also, I believe Trazadone is actually used as a psych med (in higher doses), so therefore it has anti-depressant qualities. I don't know if your man suffers from depression at all.......but I do, so it NOT ONLY helped me to sleep, but it also helped with my depression.

Good luck! Please Stick around the forum, and continue to post. Maybe you could even mention our site to your boyfriend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:13 am 
New Poster
New Poster

thank you so much, i will relay the message to him. I'm not to sure if he will want to take Trazadone, just because he is "against" anti-depressants. but i will try and convince him lol. he does suffer from depression, but no a days, who doesn't. Thank you so much for your help. He was actually standing right behind me when I typed the post, he gave me a huge hug and said thank you. I'm sure if he actually learned how to work a computer and navigate it, he would be doing the same thing I am. Plus it would probably take him two hours to type this. lol

THANKS!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:03 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Your SO WELCOME!!!

Just wanted to tell Ya........I was almost computer illiterate before I found this site! Im serious!!
Words can't explain how much I appreciate this forum and all of its members. I've not only been educated about Suboxone, and continue to get/give support..........but now I know how to navigate a computer!

Mind you, I STILL can't type.....and I still have ALOT more learning to do, but Im MUCH better w/computers than I used to be.

Tell your man to get online and see what this site is all about!

Im sure he'll find a wealth of information, advice, and support.....as I have. AND, visiting this forum will help him with his computer skills!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have been taking Trazodone for a few years now, right along with my suboxone for the last 2.5. Yes, it's an older, atypical antidepressant, but it's rarely used that way anymore. It's almost exclusively used off-label as a sleep aid these days. I do remember when I first started taking it that initially I had that morning after groggy-like hangover, but it did pass after a few days and I have no issues with that anymore (no matter how late I take it). It's the best sleep aid I've ever been on. Even after using it for so long, I'm still on a reasonable dose and haven't had to increase it.

Does he take his suboxone in the evening, by any chance? Some people who take it after say 4 pm do have trouble sleeping. It's suggested that they take their sub dose earlier in the day so that they might sleep better. Just a though in case he's dosing later in the day.

Good luck and let us know how he's doing.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you sure the insomnia is attributed to the Suboxone? It's strange that it's taken this long into treatment for him to start having this problem.

Has he changed the time he doses at all to later in the day? Taking the suboxone later in the day can keep people up at night.

Any stress going on in his life?

Before he runs off to the pharmacy with script in hand for pills, has he tried any non-pharmaceutical ways to wind down? Firstly, cut out caffeine? Then things like reading before sleep, warm milk & honey, meditation?

Taking Suboxone as early as possible in the day makes a huge difference though.

Post subject: Ditto on Dosing Time
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:11 am 

I had sleep problems when I switched to taking my Sub twice a day. Once I went back to once in the morning it seemed to help. Sleep with opiate addicts takes time to fix. All opiates affect our sleep patterns and years of abuse takes time to set right.

Patience I guess will prevail. But in my case, some Lunesta or Ambien is in my night stand just in case.

Post subject: sleep aids
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 7:28 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

My addiction dr. said benadryl (Diphenhydramine 25-50mg at night) Have tried this in the past and it always left me with hangover. There is a product that is on the market )prescribed that is a melatonin type drug for sleep-I cannot remember the name of it (restoril maybe?) Trazadone works and feels the same to me. There are also other ones like Atarax (Hydroxyzine-anthihistamine that addiction dr's will usually try.

The only thing that has ever worked well for me is ambien and xanax-something many docs won't use.

Other thoughts: Seroquel is a antipsychotic that is sometimes used for sleep-my friend has used it with good results for short term use.

Another antidepressant called Remeron is awesome for sleep. Will sedate most people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:43 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've had chronic insomnia for years, even when I was abusing opiates, I had difficulty sleeping. When I first got on suboxone, at 16mg per day, I slept like a rock, but as I reduced my dose to achieve more of a maintenance level I noticed when I got down under 8mg per day that my insomnia came roaring back.

My doctor prescribed ambien and my sub doctor approved it. I take it two or three nights per week and on the nights I take it I can usually get 5 or 6 hours of good, solid sleep.

Now with that said, I must urge extreme caution. Ambien is a tranquilizer similar to xanax or valium or ativan and it's definitely habit forming. Definitely consult your physician about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You didn't mention what dose he is on. At higher doses some people find that dosing in the morning only, or reducing the dose helps. If he has recently reduced his dose, like Junkie said, he may be feeling a bit of WD which can cause insomnia. Give us some more info if you can. I think it's better to adjust the med you are on before considering adding a new med.