It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

On the positive side, I don't feel the mental funk that I keep reading about in other people's posts. I work long hours and have to keep a sharp mind, and I've been pretty fortunate in this respect. Also, my sleep has been better since I started subs. (I'm a lifelong insomniac, but now I'm actually getting some sleep.)

The worst problem for me is the itching and skin rash. I've developed a form of psoriasis, which I can only attribute to subs. Previously, when I was on oxy, I had really bad skin problems (different from now) that cleared up once I stopped. Right now, I'm on prednisone (for something else), which has cleared up my psoriasis. As long as I'm on this, the only side effect is the itching, which really isn't that bad (especially compared to itching from oxy).

I guess the point of this post is to find out how many other people generally feel fine upstairs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:08 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I think the majority of people get that same side effect. I don't know if they get it too the degree of the psirosis, or something, that you were talking about, but being a partial opiate I still get itchy way more than a sober person. I can pretty much start itching at any of the day and it'll feel semi-good, reminiscent of how warm and itchy a good oxy buzz is.

And back when I was naively abusing subs, without a tolerance, I would get that same feeling from subs that would last over 12 hours. Powerful stuff...

Just try and ignore the itching as best you can, especially if you're doing it too often and developing some sort of a rash or infection.

You're lucky you don't feel the mental funk from Suboxone. The worst for me is the drowsiness and sedating feeling, and extreme fatigue and weakness. I can literally wake up, take my subs right as I get up to chase away the impending withdrawal feelings, and then a hour later my eyes will be half open, feeling like if I close my eyes for a second I could easily pass out. I used to like this effect, it's funny how much the drug changes, Suboxone that is, when going from abusing it to using it therapeutically. Still similar effects, except it turned them all negative because the sense of euphoria is gone. It's defiantly a trap you want to avoid.

Wow I ramble too much on Adderall. Idk if adderall and sub is the best combination, health wise and for your cardiac system/lungs. I've had breathing problems the past couple days, gets worse everytime I smoke a ciggerette. It's scary because I realized the actual damage I could of done by taking uppers and downers everyday to combat the side effects of eachother. I'm probably just freaking out but when my heart starts to beat all weird and I feel like I can't breathe as well I start panicking about the possiblities.

Hahaah, anyways, good luck with the itching. I think going to a skin doctor and getting his opinion could prove helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have the total opposite from mental funk. I feel better than ever since I started sub. My depression and anxiety are gone and haven't come back...yet. I have been a pessimist all my life, and since starting sub, my whole outlook on life has changed. I feel more positive than ever and it's so wonderful to be on this side, instead of on the negative side! I did have major itching my first night on sub. I hardly slept a wink because I couldn't go more than 30 seconds without scratching something...especially my face and head. I told my doctor and he said to lower my dose. So I did lower it 2mg and it helped, but was still having some itching. I lowered it another 2mg and I barely itch anymore.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I've been on this forum 3 years and this is the first time I've heard of itching or psoriasis being caused by suboxone. Psoriasis is an immune disorder and I can't see it being caused by an opiate. I just can't. A treatment for it IS steroids. Chances are you have that condition or it developed slowly over the years. I've had that condition for years - way before my addition or use of opiates. I suggest you see a dermatologist. Itchiness from opiate use - not of the psoriasis kind (HUGE difference) could be indicative of too high of a dose. Try a lower dose.

As for "mental funk"....this is a matter of opinion. When a person first starts sub there are various descriptions people use for the first few days and that should subside. Any somnolence could also be likely (usually) be caused by too high a dose. Also try lowering your dose (Caboose you too).

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I have recently started the program and I have never had a skin issue my entire life, but I have developed a rash on the bottom of my are next to my elbows, also the same spot bot my knees and thighs.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Don't assume it is from buprenorphine. A couple years ago I developed itching on the underside of my elbows, along with a rash. I saw a dermatologist who took one look and said I was 'gluten sensitive'. I assumed she was crazy; I'm in my 50's and I don't even BELIEVE in gluten sensitivity... but she did a biopsy, and I read the report. Gluten allergy. Crazy.

I stopped gluten, and the longer I went without it, the sicker I got-- the rash got larger and 'itchier', if that's a word... then eventually I got so disgusted with rice pasta that I decided to go back to my normal diet. And the more gluten-containing food I ate, the better I felt-- until the rash disappeared. I don't know if it is the principle that we see with allergy shots, where I am overloaded with antigen... or if something else is going on.

The bottom line-- I learned from the experience that our bodies are much more complicated that anyone can figure out. Way to complicated, anyway, to say that buprenorphine made someone get a rash-- unless the idea is backed up with some sort of testing. There are just too many variables to know for sure. If someone has a pretty solid case, though, they should go to the FDA web site and file an adverse drug report-- because those reports are recorded and tabulated, and if they occur enough times, they are investigated. Every now and then a med is even taken off the market, if adverse events are serious... and in other cases black box warnings have been assigned to medications. Not yet to buprenorphine products though...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get psoriasis from lithium treatment. It was also worsened a lot by doing 6 months on interferon / ribavirin treatment a few years ago. Psoriasis is a pain. Fortunately for me it mostly occurs on the scalp so it's hidden by my hair, but it's still a pain. I went to a dermatologist a few months ago and she loaded me up with corticosteroids to apply "liberally" on my scalp, nails and plaques, which I did ... until I broke out in this nasty burning rash around my face which was a reaction to the steroids. Now I stay well away from those creams and lotions.

Have considered going off Lithium because of this problem, but it's the only mood stabiliser I've been on which has any effect on my depression / suicidal ideation. It's probably not worth messing with it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:12 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I thought I was the only one! I have eliminated everything I could think of from my diet and environment one by one. Nothing changed but as my dosage has decreased my psoriasis fluctuates. I have been on Suboxone medication for a relatively long time (3 years but almost done!) and noticed patches of plaque psoriasis on my knee caps first around the one year mark. Now it has spread to my extremities. Mostly on my hands, forearms, lower legs, and lower thighs (not my feet strangely). its not every where but ranges from "bug bite' size patches to the largest about 3 inches in diameter. Another side effect I noticed that is supposed to be uncommon over time was pulmonary edema, or swelling of the hands and feet. This scared me pretty bad due it being a major symptom of diabetes and heart disease, but sugar was fine and my blood pressure, heartbeat, and cholesterol are fine. If any one else has suffered from these side effects I urge you to tell your doctor. Do not be afraid that the doc will jerk you meds away. More than likely, if you have a good relationship based on mutual trust, they will prescribe something for the side effects or attempt some medical alternative to your current regimen. If we don't start reporting these symptoms as more common place than studies suggest the whole industry will not take it serious enough to warrant measures to counter these side effects!

WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANY ONE WHO HAS DELT WITH THESE SIDE EFFECTS EFFECTIVELY!!! PLEASE COMMENT IF YOU HAVE!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:05 pm 

Hi All, When ever I read a post and someone says that they have a side effect, I automatically think, Oh Yeah, I have that too! lol In my case, I take medication for osteoarthritis, hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, stomach issues, and several vitamins. I am also in menopause! SO, I could be having, swelling, itchy, dry skin, low sex drive, mood swings from any and/or all of these things! So, I just try and roll with it and do my best to keep myself moving in the right direction! Sometimes, I just chalk it all up to the aging process!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:33 am 

Me too Michelle! I do have swelling sometimes in my ankles and hands (mostly ankles). But honestly I'm 40 and I've been having symptoms of perimenopause, so that's what I think my issue is. I've been on suboxone for over 4 yrs and I've had this issue for a few yrs too, but I still don't think it's because of suboxone. But Michelle I get what ur saying about side effects :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
I've been on this forum 3 years and this is the first time I've heard of itching or psoriasis being caused by suboxone. Psoriasis is an immune disorder and I can't see it being caused by an opiate. I just can't. A treatment for it IS steroids. Chances are you have that condition or it developed slowly over the years. I've had that condition for years - way before my addition or use of opiates. I suggest you see a dermatologist. Itchiness from opiate use - not of the psoriasis kind (HUGE difference) could be indicative of too high of a dose. Try a lower dose.

As for "mental funk"....this is a matter of opinion. When a person first starts sub there are various descriptions people use for the first few days and that should subside. Any somnolence could also be likely (usually) be caused by too high a dose. Also try lowering your dose (Caboose you too).

Are we serious here. Itching is a common side effect listed in some of the clinical studies conducted on buprenorphine. Itching is a common side effect of almost every opiate partial agonist or not that is in existence. I would imagine it could exacerbate psoriasis for some.

I actually know one person who said it exacerbated his psoriasis. When he got clean from opiates/suboxone his symptoms got better.

I count at least 12 individual threads from this forum involving itching as a side effect from suboxone. In one of the threads the sub doc explains why it is a common side effect.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:

I know this is an old post, but since the Internet is forever and people still come across these posts when looking for information, I wanted to add something and reply here.

This also reminds me of back when people were telling Doctors about the wooshing brain zaps we got when we'd stop taking SSRI's and the Doctors denied it saying it doesn't do anything like that. Years later it's a well known side effect a great many people get when stopping SSRI's.

Just because something isn't well known and affecting a lot of people yet, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

I get psoriasis that absolutely is caused by Suboxone. While I don't know if it's Suboxone by itself or something else I'm taking that it reacts with, or what exactly it is in the Suboxone that causes it (I've never had Subutex for any length of time to see if that would make a difference) I have psoriasis that only forms while taking Suboxone only and always goes back away when I stop taking Suboxone.

It is that simple. If I stop taking Suboxone, the psoriasis goes away. When I start again, it comes back. I never had it at any other point in my life and it only showed up on my skin after I started to take Suboxone and goes away when I stop. I've done the test many many times, stopping for 2-3 weeks and starting again. I know without a doubt that it causes it.

When I start again at first I get a few small areas of psoriasis but eventually my entire scalp under my hair gets it, it's a mild form of it for sure but still is flakey and annoying. Eventually it starts in my ear canals and I get patches on another very sensitive area as well that I won't mention.

I know it's caused by Suboxone - and it is Suboxone specifically too. I took high levels of many different opiods for 15 years straight before getting on Suboxone, nothing else I ever took caused psoriasis on me and Suboxone causes it to form every time. I very much would like to do a test where I changed to Subutex and see if that makes a difference, but I haven't ever talked to a Doctor to see if they were willing to try that yet.

It stays flared up as long as I take Suboxone and goes away fairly quickly when I stop. There is no doubt that it's causing it - so yes it very much can cause psoriasis.

People like me get worried to discuss it with our Doctors because we're scared that if we show them that Suboxone is causing the problem they might try to lower or take away our Suboxone. No matter if the fear is valid or not we don't want to chance it, so I think that it gets under reported when it happens.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Just a thought. Suboxone has two ingredients buprenorphine and naloxone. Maybe you could get your Dr. to RX buprenorphine only product? Maybe you are sensitive to naloxone.
I have recently noticed patches of psoriasis on my left calf. A number of years ago I was tested for various forms of arthritis. Since I never had any psoriasis, psoriatic arthritis was ruled out. I have had increased arthritis pain and swelling in my ankles and feet which coincided with the rash. Since all are symptoms of autoimmune problems, this makes sense. I just live with these symptoms as the medications offered to me, such as infusions, seem like taking a nuclear option to fight a pimple. Sorry I have rambled and gotten a little off topic but, my point is, don't sweat the small stuff. Buprenorphine is a gift. It has allowed me to stop obsessing about getting pills all the time.

Just a thought. Suboxone is a combination of buprenorphine and naloxone. Maybe you could get your Dr to RX a buprenorphine only product to see if it is the naloxone that you are sensitive to. I have recently developed psoriasis on my left calf/ankle. I don't think it is related to my meds as I have been on buprenorphine/naloxone for years.