It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I've been on Suboxone for about two months now. Have been sick ever since I started it but I thought it was just from narcotic withdrawal. However, I'm now withdrawn from narcotics and they're still prescribing it for pain but it doesn't work. It makes me so nauseous, I feel like throwing up. My skin is broken out in this horrible rash that will not go away no matter how much acne wash I use. Most recent developments are severe joint pain throughout my entire body, serrious lack of equilibrium, cannot walk properly at all. I suffer from the effects of a serious fall and car accident in which I broke my neck and the fall tore all my tendons and nerves in my left leg and foot. But before I took suboxone, I could at least limp around ok. Now I am getting to where I can't stand, I can't walk, I run into things all the time. I'm totally scatterbrained, cannot think clearly. I'm becoming afraid of interaction with other meds, i.e. klonipin, flomax, trazadone, lamictal, benedryl and nightime non-alcohol cough medicine.
The doctors keep telling me I must keep taking this but I am going to tell them I have got to stop or I seriously believe it will kill me. An ideal situation would be for my doctors to take suboxone themselves so they could understand why I have to be taken off of it.
Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:08 pm 

I am so sorry that you are feeling so cruddy! What amount and how often does your doctor have you dosing? I know that there are a number of people on this forum who use suboxone both for their addiction and for chronic pain. The only side effect from suboxone that I also experienced was the joint pain, but it was not debilitating, just annoying. It must be so frustrating to hear that this medication is supposed to make you feel better, but it makes you feel worse!

There are definitely people who have also had bad side effects from being on suboxone. Some seem to be more sensitive to the medication than others. But among those folks, I think that some have experimented and found a better dose for themselves. Personally, I noticed that my joint pain went away when I tapered from 16 mg to 8 mg. It could be that there is a dose that works much better for you, but I understand that it may be daunting to try to experiment with a different dose. Plus, I hesitate to suggest doing that without your doctor's knowledge. Does your doctor seem flexible enough that you could ask about a different dosage? Also, for people with chronic pain, it seems that it's more effective to break the dose up to several times a day. That's why I asked what dose you're on and how often.

I hope you stay around and get the support you need here. We all know about struggle and I hope we can help!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:47 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Amy. I have experimented with different dosages, however, lowering the dose did not get rid of the joint pain and did not kill my chronic pain. Lowering the dose made the chronic pain worse and I've never felt more toxic taking any medication. I do not believe suboxone is a proper drug for me. I've developed several different side effects like pain in my right side near where my liver is and my doctor said it can aggravate cirrhosis which is linked to my other health issues (Hep C). No amount of suboxone helps in any way so I must convince my doctors to take me off this horrible drug and find something that is effective in treating my pain and allowing me to live, if not perfect, a better life. I'm an artist and I cannot even pursue my art. I was a carpenter but I can no longer do construction work because my body has been seriously damaged by construction work.
I hope you get better with your problem as I hope all people in this predicament will.

p.s. my doctor took me up to 3 films a day. I'm taking myself back down because I cannot live with this medication.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Did I also mention swelling of the limbs and joints and major weight gain which has only occured within the last couple weeks. These symptoms are very painful and I did not have them before I took the suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:01 pm 

It really does sound like there is something in the formulation of suboxone that your body just can't tolerate. I hope that your doctor can find something that your body can tolerate, but that you're less likely to abuse. I assume that you were switched to suboxone because you were abusing your medication, but I could be wrong. If you do go back on more traditional narcotics, I hope your doctor recognizes that your tolerance is going to be very high. I also sincerely hope that there will be more addiction-resistant pain medications available soon.

Let us know how the discussion with your doctor goes, and any other way we can support you.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:32 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Coyote. Sounds like you're not having the funnest time in the world right now.

I've had Hep C while on buprenorphine, and I didn't have any issues with hepatoxicity from it. That being said, I had no fibrosis and had only recently contracted HCV. Maybe the issues kick in as the illness progresses?

I'm also on Lamictal and have no issues with interactions. Some members are on Klonopin and they have no issues. The other meds I'm unsure about.

If I were you, I'd start doing some lil experiments with the aid of your doctor. See if your doctor's willing to trial Subutex. This will at least remove Naloxone out of the equation (some people suffer naloxone allergies, a symptom of which is skin rash, appearance of "skin infections"). In fact, I'd definitely suggest you at least trial this. Reasons are that naloxone serves no useful purpose for those that take their medication as prescribed. If anything the naloxone makes taking Suboxone more harmful for us - just to deter the few who aren't ready to quit from injecting it.

Definitely google "naloxone allergy" and see if the symptoms fit your description.

The other thing I'd try after you've cut Naloxone out of the equation if the problem continues ... is maybe reducing your Subutex dose. If the problem gets better, then you know that buprenorphine is your issue.

The problem with this whole approach is that many doctors aren't willing to trial taking away the naloxone. Many seem to believe it acts as a blocker to getting high, which is a load of bull.

Post subject: Bad symptoms w/ suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:38 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I know I had some bad rashes and itching with Suboxone.

It may be safe to try Benadryl (OTC), I take 25mg of it every night and it has really helped with those symptoms.

Some narcotics tend to release vaious amounts of histamines to some people, causing rashes, itching etc.

I know that here in the last few days that my nose has been burning inside, seriously, and intense at that!
I don't know if that is from the was suboxone drys out people system or not, but that side effect has just started to annoying me! So I can imagine that many people have side effects that others may or may not have......So I hate you are having a "rough ride" w/ Suboxone......

Have you tried usinging OTC drugs like Aleve, Tylenol, or even thoguht of getting prx strength Motrin to help with your pain?

Have you told your doctor about all of the symptoms you are having?

It leads me to think that the swelling could be an allergic reaction possibly, joint pain seems to be a fairly common side effect from Suboxone. The others, I would definately call my doctor asap and tell them what is going on...and make certain they hear you, it seems that some of the doctors I have seen over the years have what I call "selective hearing".

If they insist you just keep taking it w/ no solutions to help you do better while taking Suboxone, maybe you could consider a second opinion.

I do have a number for a Suboxone hotline you might get some info from them that could be helpful?

Sub Hotline phone number from the www [b]1.877.782.6966 This is the maufacturer of Suboxone's phone number and the number can be called from 9 am until 6:45 pm est, I hope they can help you?

I have heard about some people just not being able to tolerate the side effects of Suboxone, you could be one of them? IDK???

I hope things level out for you and hope that you find the help you need, and I hope you find the relief you need w/o having to go through unwanted side effects you have described.

Best of luck and never give up !!!

I am not a doctor and never will be, but I never intend to do no harm to anyone by offering my experiences and information if I think it can be useful to at least 1 person on this planet we call Earth !

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:11 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Boxer,

Sorry I haven't been online lately. Have been dealing with new side effects, some of them worse than the old side effects. One being lungs filling up with mucous to the point where I have a hard time breathing and I keep coughing up flem but it just produces more. I've taken super anti-bios but to no avail. Sometimes during the day it's not so bad but when I lay down to try and go to sleep, my lungs gurgle and crackle and I cough up tons of flem. I feel like I'm not getting enough oxygen. Have you heard of anyone else with this particular side effect and what have they done if anything to alleviate the problem?
I haven't gotten a second opinion yet but I am seriously considering it since my doctors do seem to have very selective hearing. I find it f**ing frustrating as hell. If you ever wonder why they call it "practicing" medicine rather than performing medicine. You think they'll ever get it right?
The skin rash has improved to a degree but it's still there. My stomach has bloated out the size of a watermelon. A lot of swelling. I'm taking diuretic type medicine Lasix and Flomax) but it doesn't seem to work. I have an enlarged prostate and like someone else mentioned on here, I sometimes stand for what seems like hours. Sometimes I have to give up and come back later while all the time feeling like I have to pee really bad.
Thanks for the hotline number but what kind of unbiased advice could one expect from them?

boxer wrote:
I know I had some bad rashes and itching with Suboxone.

It may be safe to try Benadryl (OTC), I take 25mg of it every night and it has really helped with those symptoms.

Some narcotics tend to release vaious amounts of histamines to some people, causing rashes, itching etc.

I know that here in the last few days that my nose has been burning inside, seriously, and intense at that!
I don't know if that is from the was suboxone drys out people system or not, but that side effect has just started to annoying me! So I can imagine that many people have side effects that others may or may not have......So I hate you are having a "rough ride" w/ Suboxone......

Have you tried usinging OTC drugs like Aleve, Tylenol, or even thoguht of getting prx strength Motrin to help with your pain?

Have you told your doctor about all of the symptoms you are having?

It leads me to think that the swelling could be an allergic reaction possibly, joint pain seems to be a fairly common side effect from Suboxone. The others, I would definately call my doctor asap and tell them what is going on...and make certain they hear you, it seems that some of the doctors I have seen over the years have what I call "selective hearing".

If they insist you just keep taking it w/ no solutions to help you do better while taking Suboxone, maybe you could consider a second opinion.

I do have a number for a Suboxone hotline you might get some info from them that could be helpful?

Sub Hotline phone number from the www [b]1.877.782.6966 This is the maufacturer of Suboxone's phone number and the number can be called from 9 am until 6:45 pm est, I hope they can help you?

I have heard about some people just not being able to tolerate the side effects of Suboxone, you could be one of them? IDK???

I hope things level out for you and hope that you find the help you need, and I hope you find the relief you need w/o having to go through unwanted side effects you have described.

Best of luck and never give up !!!

I am not a doctor and never will be, but I never intend to do no harm to anyone by offering my experiences and information if I think it can be useful to at least 1 person on this planet we call Earth !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:37 am 

I'm so sorry that you aren't feeling any better yet! These don't sound like typical symptoms to me! Has a doctor checked your lungs? Could there be anything else causing fluid in your lungs? Why aren't they taking you off the suboxone to see if the symptoms go away?

You have chronic pain, but I assume you've had some level of addiction to regular pain medications to be on suboxone. How does your doctor have you dosing? Every 6 hours? And how much are you taking? Is there any way you could try to cut down on the sub and see if your body does better? Some people seem to have almost a toxic reaction to sub. Lowering your dose could help, but your problem might be something completely different. I'm certainly no doctor! I'm just trying to think of what has worked for some other folks.

Please give us some more information and maybe we could make a couple of suggestions.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It definitely sounds like you need a second opinion - fluid filled, lungs with that crackling sound could definitely be pneumonia. It's sounds like some of the other symptoms you described, like confusion and running into things is more than side effects from Suboxone. You need a doc to give you a comprehensive exam and review all of your medications. I hope you feel better soon. Please keep us posted on what you find out.
Take care,
Lilly