It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Sick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:31 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

If I took 12 milligrams of methadone at 10 a.m. how long should I how before taking suboxone not feeling well now?

Post subject: Re: Sick
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:08 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

:( I would also like to add that I am new to all of this as well but I have only been taking methadone for about a week. I started out on oxycodone and then stated taking methadone when I ran out. I am prescribed both meds but I do abuse them. I take more than I should wanting to feel good and when I start getting low I basically take them to keep from being sick. So needless to say coming off the oxy I start out taking about 25-30 mg of methadone then start lowering my dose trying not to run out bf I get back to my Dr. It never works so I have a friend that gets the subs and she told me that they keep her from being sick and feeling as tho she has never been sick. But she was also the one who told me that if I took the sub after taking methadone it would cause me to have very bad withdrawal. At this point, I am not throwing up but I am getting aches and starting to break out in a sweat. I do not like this feeling especially being that I am a single mother and have to make sure my child is taking care of and having all the attention he needs and required. He is not a baby he is 12 but I have always done everything for him and if I am sick I feel like he is being neglected. I feel so guilty over everything and I stay depressed and that depression gets worse when I am sick. I try to be a good mother but when u are an addict in my opinion then u are not at ur best. I do know not everyone is the same this is just me and how I feel. So thank u for taking the time to hear me, and if anyone can help me by telling me how to do this without being deathly sick, it is much appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Sick
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:34 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

First off, welcome to the forum.
How much Methadone have you been taking before the 12mgs this morning? Have you taken more than 30mgs of Methadone in one day this past week? If you have stayed under 30mgs for the past week. You should be able to start about 2:00pm to 6:00pm tomorrow(it's today now) That would give you about 26 to 30 hrs.. Methadone has a half-life of about 60 hrs. You need to wait as long as you can. I know you aren't gonna wait 60hrs. You could try 2mgs to start about 6:00pm and you should start feeling better within a half hr or so. If you have been under 30mgs for the whole week, you should be ok. Personally, I only waited 12hrs before I started on Subs. I was taking 15 to 20 mgs on an average for about 2 weeks. Just because that was all the Methadone I could get my hands on at the time so I was already miserable for days before I started on the Subs this last time.
And yes, life does make us depressed when we are struggling with this addiction. It is a hard thing to deal with.
I wish you the best and remember wait as long as you can before you start the Subs because of the long half life of Methadone. There is another woman that just switched from Methadone to Suboxone. Maybe she will chime in and tell you some of her experience with switching.
Are you planning on staying on Suboxone and stopping all other opiates? It is hands down the best choice for us addicts. Suboxone works very well. It is a strong medicine so you don't need a whole lot of it to take the cravings and the Wd's away. It builds up in your system over a few days and then you will be able to find the right dose for you to be stable. Just take it slow and don't worry so much about things you can't change right now. Get yourself switched over to Suboxone and then go from there.
Good luck
Happy

If you have any questions just ask and someone will be here to answer them