It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:41 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi folks as i have posted my sub doc had a stroke leaving me with no meds not his fault he was a great doc i am on my 5th day with no sub not doing to bad just been staying in bed trying to ride it out i did get ahold of a new sub doc yesterday who can get me in on monday 250$ for 1st visit for going cold turkey from 16mgs a day it either has not hit me yet or its not that bad thank god my amazing wife is taking care of the 1 and 3 year old boys and i am locked in the bedroom do you guys think i should go to the new sub doc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:26 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I dont know your whole story but my vuess is that gou have enough sub in you now. You arent feeling the full effects of withdraw yet...If life on bupe has bn good before then going to a new dr would be a good idea..my two cents..razor....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm going to have to agree with razor. you were caught off guard and unprepared for what happened with your doctor and not being able to get you're medication, and I'd guess at 16 mgs were not anywhere near ready to stop taking Suboxone, correct? if it were me, I'd go to the new doctor and continue treatment. please let us know what you decide and how you're doing.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with the others in that if you do want to stop Bup treatment this is not at all the best way to do it. Beyond the acute withdrawals you'll have post acute or PAWS to deal with for at least the next 30 days and likely much longer.

What this does again very clearly point out is how high of a dose 16 mg really is. Although why if you are "not doing too bad" then are you hold up in a room cut off from life? That doesn't quite add up or make much sense. If not that bad, get out and live life. Or is it worse and deserving of bed confinement? Anyhow my point is, if you do start with a new doc, and I think you should, you very likely can start back at 8mg/day max. You can clearly see how 16 held you for at least 2 or even 3 days. 8 mg a day will certainly do the same for you as 16 did. I am certain of it. I promise you it will. Plus after 6 days without sub, 8 mg will totally hold you. Then if you and your doc agree, you can do a proper taper and stop months from now.

If you were several weeks into this I'd say perhaps consider riding it out but you clearly are not past the worst point yet. The risk of relapse is high an the pain of withdrawal much greater than if you taper.

Don

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

From what I have read, it was not your intention to stop taking sub. I would ABSOLUTELY go to the appointment. You are lucky you could get one so quickly! 16mg is a lot and if it has only been 2 or three days, you are not feeling the effect of 0 sub in your system.

I would go to the new Dr.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:25 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Well I began taking suboxone In 2011 when I was struggling with flashbacks every night from PTSD . I began using the oxys my grandfather never used from his heart surgery. I was back in the US. and did great on the state trooper exam but I knew I needed help. They put me on 24 mg of the sublingual strips per day. Long story short, after one year the hospital went out of business and the doctor said " its impossible to have Any withdrawal symptoms unless your abusing suboxone". I believed them and I felt stable so I decided shoot, I dont need this anymore. I quit cold turkey while taking 24 mg per day. I felt good for a week and Thought I had it in the bag. It was kindof like the Calm before the storm. When the rain came, things that seemend to be dead began to bloom and flourish. All of these beautiful feelings and emotions that life offers you are gifts. People medicate because they give up on hope for a great life and use drugs that dull their feelings. The 2 months after I quit cold turkey I finally felt alive again. I couldn't stop crying. Life is so beautiful . Don't quit cold turkey from 16mg. You will experience emotional and physical pain to a degree I can't describe. I hope your doing good man. Taper down to at least 1mg per day. Good luck!