It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:21 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

As some may have read in my other thread, I am coming off of suboxone after being maintained for just over 2 years. I took methadone the last 3 weeks before I jumped, for better or for worse.

My friend just came out of a detox unit, where they gave him naloxone to speed the recovery process. The thought of this scared the crap outta me. He said it wasn't that bad, as he was medicated and had only relapsed for short time (low tolerance).

Well, they prescribed him a 30 day supply of naloxone to take (I guess as a safety net?). He doesn't like it, says it makes his head fuzzy and stomach ache.

Anyways, he suggested I take that pill and be done with the whole withdrawaling process. I realize it wouldn't be an instant cure, in fact it could make things much worse for a period of time, but speed the process up nonetheless.

So, what do you guys think? I haven't had any opiates in 6 days. Starting to feel really crumby today. Was fine this morning when I woke.

Do you think taking a naloxone pill 6 days into withdrawal is a good idea or a bad one, and why? Thanks for all the help/support.

-Bubs (holding strong!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't understand how taking the naloxone will speed up your recovery process. It will still take the same amount of time for the Suboxone or methadone to work it's way out of your system. The naloxone would block the effects of any other opiates you took, but only for the amount of time that the naloxone is active in your system. If you only take it once, then you will only be blocked for that one day.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
I don't understand how taking the naloxone will speed up your recovery process. It will still take the same amount of time for the Suboxone or methadone to work it's way out of your system. The naloxone would block the effects of any other opiates you took, but only for the amount of time that the naloxone is active in your system. If you only take it once, then you will only be blocked for that one day.

When i started on subutex they gave me a flyer with info, which mentioned that naloxone could be given after a week ( i think) to ease lingering w/d`s - and i think it sad that it would "clean out the system" or something like that. I have no idea how it could clean out anything but the receptors it blocks though.
Maybe you have to take it for a periode?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Are you sure it's naloxone? It sounds like naltrexone. Naloxone has a very short half life, so wouldn't be very effective as a long term blocker if they're handing out 30 day supplies. Naltrexone pills are generally sold as Revia.

I wouldn't suggest you just take naltrexone without seeing a doctor first. Find out which places prescribe it. Generally doctors first do a "naloxone challenge" where they might give you a small injection of naloxone (aka Narcan). This is to test whether you're ready for naltrexone, or whether you will get precipitated withdrawal. If you start to get sick, it's over in 15 minutes, and your doc will know you're not yet ready for naltrexone, and say come back in a couple of days. If you don't get sick, then you're ready for naltrexone.

If you just took naltrexone when you weren't ready, you would have 24 hours of excruciating withdrawal (I've been through it. trust me. it isn't pretty! and I question whether it actually "speeds up the withdrawal" process after all. So painful I think it did some damage to me). Better to see a doc, do a naloxone challenge. At least then worst case you'll only be badly sick for 15 mins.

PS: naloxone is the stuff they use to revive addicts from overdose. The only time I've heard the words "prescribe naloxone" was in the context of prescribing it to addicts in case their friends overdose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:13 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Bubs,

I'm going to have to agree with TearJerker, I think you meant to say Naltrexone.

Naloxone (Narcan) is used in an emergency to treat opiate overdose victims. It reverses the effects of CNS depression and respiratory depression rather quickly and has a very short half life.

Naltrexone is an opiate antagonist too, but it's generally used after someone is free from opiates and completely clean. It has a longer half life than Naloxone and is effective at blocking opiate receptors so if you did "slip up" and use, you're not supposed to "feel" anything.....no buzz.

Now, what I think you're getting at with your question is this.....Naltrexone is used in those Rapid Detox centers to rid the body/brain of opiates. Dude, that is done while the patient is under general anaesthesia!!! The patient is OUT COLD when the Naltrexone is administered. I saw a program on TV that followed 3 individuals who went this route, they showed a few quick video clips of this one guy after administering Naltrexone.....remember, he was out cold.....his body was convulsing like crazy!!!

So, like Tearjerker said, I wouldn't touch Naltrexone before I talked to a doctor who was knowledgeable on the subject, the risks are just too high!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You guys are right, sorry. It's Naltrexone hydrochloride. Half of a 50mg tablet.

Romeo, I saw that same show.. scary shit man. Very dangerous. You have to sign a waiver and everything, b/c death can result from rapid detox.

tearjerker, I think that naloxone is used to help those ODing, but it is also in suboxone. So it is prescribed and taken regularly. I took the shit for 2 years. Thing is sub has higher affinity, and yaddy yaddy ya. It's purpose in sub is bulshit. Anyways.

I want to thank you guys for replying, really, it means a lot. I'm pretty desparate right now. Things aren't that bad... just sick and tired of this shit. I want it to go away. The fatigue, the depression, the aches, the insomnia. The infrequent chill, sneezing fit. I know, I know I'm being a baby. So what?!

But, it's day 9! Day NINE! That's why my school of thought was... well, if there is any methadone left in my system, stuck somewhere and dragging out this agony, it couldn't be much. And by taking the Naltrexone, it would rid my body of it, be done with it. Be done! At least the detox would. I know the emotional shit lasts quiet a while. I've done this before.

I have clonidine. Im outta benzos and it's making me nervous, but trying to stay strong, don't want to become dependent on that shit.

I guess, overall.. it's not worth the risk of taking some fucking drug I've never taken, if I don't have a doc to monitor me and shit. FUCK IT! I'll Just sweat this bitch out. Hold on. Hold on. Minute by minute. Going to my 5th meeting in 5 days today. Things aren't as bad as I am making them out to be. I'm a bitch and a pussy when it comes to this shit. Thanks for all the help and support.

-Bubs

PS to be entirely honest.. my saving grace through this whole thing has been "A Million Little Pieces" by James Frey. Thank you too, James.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Crap, I can't believe I forgot to tell you this. When I quit Suboxone, I had several Buprenorphine Urine test strips that I had ordered off the internet. By day 3 I was getting negatives for the presence of Buprenorphine, day 4 I got strong negatives. I believe the actual drug (Methadone/Suboxone) clears out of your system in a matter of a few days, it's your brain all of a sudden trying to figure out how in the hell to live without any external opiates that is causing your symptoms. That's my opinion.

Bubs, you are not whining or being a pussy!!! Man, you're in wd and I think most of us here can identify with how bad that sucks nasty, dirty, stinky, pimply ridden ass!! Bitch away all you want!! Do whatever you need to do to feel better!!

Congratulations on getting you're ass out of the house and hitting some meetings. Curling up in the corner and sucking your thumb makes things worse, believe me, I tried it!!! :lol: