It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:51 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi, I've been on Suboxone for 5 months now at what I'm finding out on this forum, is a fairly high dose 8mg 2x a day. Over the past 5 months I have continued my "squirrel like" behavior and have stashed/stored a few days supply away. i realize this is a action I also did when I was an active addict. I dont know why I do this because I always get into my "stash" sooner or later. However i havent gone into the Suboxone stash at all. Now for my question: For 8 days now I have had moderate foot pain in my left foot (ball area) my work is very physical with a lot of walking involved. During the last 8 days i had 2 days off in a row, this is pretty rare for me, and i thought the time off would improve the foot pain, but it did not. So yesterday i went to a urgent care facility and had X rays that came back negative for fractures/breaks. The Dr there suggested i see a poditrist asap, he also asked me if i wanted anything for the pain and i declined ( a HUGE first for me) i made some calls to a few poditrists in this area and it seems none of them can see me till mon which is over 4 days away. Should i take some of the extra films i have put away to help ease the pain for the next 4 days? I'm sure they will help but being a squirrel type addict there is a high level of anxiety that comes with getting into my stash..if anyone out there is a squirrel type addict you will understand the type of anxiety that comes with this. however this pain is acute. I will take any and all advice! Thanks...PS i am on Suboxone for addiction reasons alone and not for pain management

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:33 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there! Sorry to hear about your foot. I too am a squirrel addict! Or was I guess I should say. Everytime I got my vics filled I always put a few in a little bottle and stashed it in my closet, that way, I thought that when I ran out I would have a nice surprise and have a few more, lol kinda silly, it would not have made a difference staying in the big bottle :) But as for your question, I'm not too sure taking more would be a good idea. I would call your sub doctor and ask, maybe just an extra 2mg would help? I'm not a doctor so I can't really say. But your sub dr or even family dr should be able to help you.
Oh, and congrats on declining the pain meds! Great job! 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I don't know about it being addict behavior or not (only oneself can determine that), but many of us keep a "backstock" of suboxone on hand just in case of emergencies. I know I do it. It's easier than worrying about going to the pharmacy or doctor on the exact right day every month. That's just a pain in the ass. But I do that with most of my meds, if possible. I think it's just common sense, personally.

Since you're already on 8 mg, twice daily, there isn't much more you can add, except maybe a third dose. Many pain patients are on the dose that you're on already, to be honest. For pain, the dosing is once about every 6 hours on average. And you're already dosing twice per day, as I said. I hear you that you're still having pain, but it's probably helping you a lot more than you're aware of. Try taking something over-the-counter like an NSAID.

Feel better soon.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:10 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

thanks for the replies..i got a call back from a podiatrist that i had only been able to leave a voice mail to yesterday, they said they could fit me in today if i didnt mind waiting so thats where i was all day and was it worth the wait! they didnt want to do another xray since i told them id had one yesterday so they set me up with a nice fitted boot and will review the original xray themselves. the pain is almost gone when walking..no additional medicine required! thanks again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Glad to hear your pain is getting better. Just a thought, in case you still have some pain, or if it happens again in the future...since sub's pain properties only last 4-6 hrs (I have also heard 6-8 hrs), maybe it would help if you split your dose into 3 or 4 doses per day, instead of only dosing twice per day. That way, you would still be taking the same amount (16mg), but only taking 4mg at a time, and it would be more effective for the pain.