It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:08 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi i have been abusing painkillers for 11 years,and in 2005 a friend of mine who was recovering from heroin let me try suboxone because i was sick of using painkillers and buying them,and i was able to stay off of painkillers until this years when i lost my supply of suboxone.In the 5 years i was taking the suboxone i never even had to increase my dose or anything,i started with 8MG's and stayed with that using one a day for 5 years.After loosing my supply this years i briefly found another supply that only lasted 2 months and again in those 2 months i stopped using pain killers again and did not even think about using them,while before ever trying suboxone,the thought of being able to have a few OC 80's was like winning $1000,000 in the lottery {im sorry to sound like such a junky but this is just how i feel} and from 2005 until this year i actually forgot what it felt like to crave or even want a pain killer because of this suboxone...i did not get high at all from the suboxone and because of its ceiling effect i did not feel like a junky having to keep increasing my doses like a painkiller.

I am now seeking a doctor to get a prescription legally and do this right but the only doctor i found wanst me on the suboxone for 4 months and then wants me off and i know what is going to happen....could anyone give me non sarcastic guidence pleas? i live in boston mass,and applied for masshealth in witch this 4 month doctor takes...and the only other doctor that i talked to who is around the corner said that depending on my situation and history of attaining painkillers,that it might just be the right thing to do for me to just stay on them if i handle this in a responsible manner and my drug tests keep coming up clean while i was told i am to be tested for further opioids in my system while on suboxone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:19 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

If you already know whats gonna happen then stay with it.I think that if anyone is going to come off it they better not have any doubts.
I personally never want to go back to the life I was living when I was on oxy's,morphine,vike etc...I've been on sub for like 4 months I guess?and I know even if I successfully came off it without getting sick(which I fear the most) I would probably find a way to get high.If sub available to me for the rest of my life(I'm only 36) then I will continue it.I NEVER want to be like I was before!
I personally take generic Subutex now but if I had to go back to Suboxone at twice the price so be it.

Good luck and just keep taking the sub

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello matrixman and welcome. Even though you were getting sub off the street, the way you describe it working is exactly the way it was intended to work. Many of us here are on suboxone indefinitely. Opiate addiction kills and if taking a pill for the long haul can prevent that, why not continue taking it?

Have you tried any of the online doctor locators to find a doctor? There are 4 of them: suboxone-directory.com; suboxone.com; samhsa.gov; and naabt.org.

I wish you good luck finding a doctor that's right for you. Again, welcome to the forum!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yes i have tried the suboxone directory,and NAABT..and i keep getting emails from doctors interested but my job has no innsurrence and most places ive talked to either dont accept mass health and only an insurrence company i cant get...or they want $1800 for the treatment plus the cost of the prescription and thats not happening.So far the only place that i found that accepts masshealth and all i have to pay is a $185 first payment,and my inssurrence would cover the rest they said only wants me to go on suboxone for 4 months in witch i know once its over i will go back to pain killers,so what do i do just keep re registering with him every 4 months?...lol...i keep getting emails from doctors from NABBT that want to treta me but most are costly.

I talked to one woman so far that agreed that apon talking to me in person and talking to me about my history that life long maintnence might be the best choice for me instead of using street drugs,but she accepts blue croos and blue shield and i cant get that,and if i want to see her without insurrence its $385 for the first visit then i have to pay for my prescription and possibly other visits im sure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yea man ive been on suboxone for 4 years and will prolly be on it the rest of my life! so long term sub use is possiable you just got to find the right sub dr. def check out the suboxone locater sites im sure youll find one dr that will work for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If it were me, I'd be responding to those doctors who are contacting you from the NAABT locator and try to negotiate with them for a better cash price. Or stick with the doctor that wants you on it for only four months. That gives you four months to: 1 - find another doctor, and 2 - talk that doctor into keeping you on it long term.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
If it were me, I'd be responding to those doctors who are contacting you from the NAABT locator and try to negotiate with them for a better cash price. Or stick with the doctor that wants you on it for only four months. That gives you four months to: 1 - find another doctor, and 2 - talk that doctor into keeping you on it long term.

Good luck.

Yes that is my plan so far....to stick with the 4 month doc but i wont have his initial payment untill next month as i pay bills like everyone else...lol...so i will suffer until then,i had to buy an OC 30 and split it into 1/4's just to handle the withdraw from the suboxone.Its funny that this suboxone is supposed to be more gentle and mild to get off of then painkillers? for me there is no comparison,the sub withdraw kicks my butt over oxy withdraw 10 fold...but the idea is using the oxy is much more dangerous and if i come off suboxone as you know now i will go back.My friend just died from an OC 80 overdose,they found him the next morning with these red spots all over him and hives,but he was using these things for a long time so i know they will kill.

Also does anyone know what the first steps are when i see this 4 month doctor? like what happens when i first go into the office? do they pull blood? and give you a strip search?...lol...or phisical? then give you the suboxone

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:24 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend; you have my condolences.

I didn't have a typical in-office induction (I was hospitalized), so I can't tell you what my experience was like. I can tell you that I absolutely don't see them doing any kind of strip search, but they will likely give you a drug test/UA. Some doctors make you pick up your script and then take the first dose(s) at their office, while others just give you instructions and you do your own induction at home. They will gauge the state of your withdrawals and look at your opiate history to determine what initial dose to start you at. I'm sure others who have had a typical in-office induction will be along to tell you their experiences. When is your appointment to start sub? Please be careful with the pain pills in the mean time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:51 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hatmaker510 wrote:
I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend; you have my condolences.

I didn't have a typical in-office induction (I was hospitalized), so I can't tell you what my experience was like. I can tell you that I absolutely don't see them doing any kind of strip search, but they will likely give you a drug test/UA. Some doctors make you pick up your script and then take the first dose(s) at their office, while others just give you instructions and you do your own induction at home. They will gauge the state of your withdrawals and look at your opiate history to determine what initial dose to start you at. I'm sure others who have had a typical in-office induction will be along to tell you their experiences. When is your appointment to start sub? Please be careful with the pain pills in the mean time.

Thank you

I am being careful with the painkillers,i only got one 30mg oxycontin and split it in 4 pieces...so for me using 2 80mg oxycontins a day that shows that im just using this simply to get rid of some pain and its working but its amazing even with the oxy in my blood,my system still knows the suboxone is not in it and it seems that the suboxone is more powerful...lol..i read that 1mg or suboxone is equal to 10mg of morphine weather thats true or not,it seems it for sure because these oc's are just making me a bit comfertable.I should be making an appointment this monday so hopefully ill be seen soon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Does MA have strict laws about suboxone maintenance? I think I saw that the 75$ card for film doesn't apply in MA. Just curious if my home state is funny about sub? I'm in NY now anyways

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:52 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

glen bee wrote:
Does MA have strict laws about suboxone maintenance? I think I saw that the 75$ card for film doesn't apply in MA. Just curious if my home state is funny about sub? I'm in NY now anyways

I dont think so,i know someone that had been on subs for years now but there doctor wont take a new patient yet is why i have not gone there

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Obviously, everyone is different, and some folks are better candidates than others for indefinite suboxone therapy. I have no plans to come off suboxone at this time. I am a 46 year old addict with a 30+ year history of very high dose abuse of any opiate I could get my hands on, including IV Heroin use for over a decade. Only prison got me off the Heroin once and for all.

I also have Hepatitis C and most doctors encourage Opiate Replacement Therapy for patients with HepC and a long history of relapse, which I have. So those are the conditions under which I am likely to determine myself as an "indefinite" patient on suboxone.....

Your mileage may vary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:49 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I think most doctors are different when it comes to starting you on sub. I had to wait 45 days to get in as my doc was at the 100 patient max. When the gave me my first appointment they told me I would not see him for 3 weeks. I first saw a PsycHologist and I had to get a opiod dependent diagnosis when I was done that I saw a counselor to get a recommendation . Then I saw the doc a week later he asked me some questions wrote me the script for a week and I have been off illicit narcotics ever since. Good luck to you