It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Did you feel able to drive yourself after your induction?
yes 60%  60%  [ 6 ]
no 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
maybe.... 10%  10%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 10
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:06 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone,

My induction is scheduled for tomorrow morning, and I'm wondering if most people are able to drive themselves after or if I should expect to have to get a ride home?

So can yall just tell me if you felt able to drive afterwards or not? thanks :D

(background: ~3 year addiction to painkillers - hyrocodone/oxycodone up to 150 mg a day; induction is tomorrow at 10:15AM with Suboxone.. )

....I'm also very interested in how you felt during and after your induction if you would please share? But the main concern I do have is if I will be able to drive myself home or if I will have to call my mom to leave work and come get me, LOL :?:

Thanks everybody!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:21 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If there is a similar thread I'd be appreciative if you can point me towards it, too :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi carazai,

Good question! I dont recall anyone asking this before.

Anyway, if I was you I would get a ride. Before I inducted in detox, I felt like shit. They started me on a very low dose that I took a few times during the night. In the morning they gave me a bigger dose. I did feel kind of high. I felt mildly high for the first few days, then totally normal.

The thing is you dont want to get pulled over looking/feeling even slightly high. After I had been on dub for about 1.7 year, I got pulled over. The cop accused me of being drunk/high evem though I wasnt. I admitted I was on prescribed sub and abilify. I was arrested and charged with a dwi. I did get the charge reduced but it was stressful and expensive.

Also, some people say they get a headache and/or nausea after induction. If this happened it would be nice to have a ride.

Congrats on taking steps to end your addiction! I hope it goes smoothly for you. I think sub is one thing that is saving my life.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Being Sensible
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:28 pm 

Darn, Orange doll said it all so very good that you really don't need to know much more. My Dr. did know I was driving home and didn't say anything. I wonder if he would have been liable if an accident would have occurred. My drive was only a few blocks away that thinking back now, I should have walked.

And yes, like OD said you really won't know how you will feel until you are induced so why take a chance on getting a DUI or heaven forbid, an accident.

So really this post is just a ditto from OD's. You ultimately will decide which way to go. We surely won't give you information that could be harmful to you or others. Are you really going to ask your Mom to take off work to drive you home? How about a bus, or a taxi. Better yet, how about a girlfriend.

Let us know how it went.

Rule

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:56 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I drove myself, but I had to leave the drs office and go to the pharmacy to pick up my sub. You better believe I was feeling like shit tho then, so I dosed in the car, then drove home. I only took a quarter of the strip tho and was already feeling somewhat better by the time I got home, and I didn't have to drive far at all. I took more once I was home.

I think I'm gonna have to agree with Orange Doll here tho and suggest you get a ride. You don't know how you're going to feel. You may feel fine, but with it being a new med, you may feel dizzy and/or kind of high. I know I felt "high" for about 3 days, then completely normal, again just like OD. With her experience and getting a DWI, you just never know... If its not real inconvienent for your mom (like my mom can leave work whenever she wants), then yes, I'd have her pick you up just in case. I was going to arrange for a ride, but decided since I was so close, I'd take just enough to feel better and more when I got home rather than arranging for a ride.

It's really whatever you feel comfortable with, but it is a strong med and after reading OD's post after she got arrested, that was enough to show me just what can happen. I don't have any doubts about driving now because my body is used to it, but ya never know how that first dose will affect you. It's pretty potent medication and don't be surprised if you feel a little "off" or dizzy, high, maybe nauseous and some head aches at first. I felt that way until I found the dose that worked for me and I stabilized on it.

Good luck tho with your induction, and feel free to jump on here of you have any questions. Induction can be scary, I was scared the night before, but you'll soon feel much better. If you don't, just play with your dose a little until you get it right. I had to, and many others have had to as well. You'll be fine and if you can, a ride home would probably be best ;)

Good Luck!!!! And welcome! Hope to see you around more!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:46 pm 

My sub doc had me withdraw for 48 hours before induction, so I felt too crappy to drive there. However, after the induction I felt totally normal and could have driven, but I was glad I had a ride anyway. I think it's a better idea to have a ride.

Good luck tomorrow! Welcome to a more normal life!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:45 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I definitely felt too shitty to drive to the appointment. I did feel better fairly soon after (2 hrs), but b/c I had been in wd/s for 2 days prior, and felt super weak, I wouldn't have felt safe to drive myself home.

I think it's a good time to have someone you feel really safe with there by your side. You can be really proud of yourself for taking this step, and sharing it with someone you trust is a good thing.

Let us know how it goes!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a tricky one...........because for one you have to be in w/d to start suboxone and we all know how we feel being in w/d. I ended up driving myself and read all about the induction process only to find out that the doctor just wrote me a script and did not induct me in his office as I read. I have found many members that experienced the same thing. In my case he gave me a script and told me to take 4 mg's and then take 4 mor in 2 hrs.............then call him and tell him how I felt. If I drove myelf it would be like driving there ............in w/d. Find out for sure if your doc is going to induct you in the office............if so........better to be safe than end up like OD............get a ride. Good Luck..and welcome

Jim