It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, I could really use some advice here.

I am 27 weeks and about to go to my fisr OB appt. tomorrow (just got insurance).

I have been on only LESS THAN HALF A MG. of Subutex for the last year (cut it down from higher dose prior to that).

I have been unable to get off completely- I feel terrible until I take it each a.m.

I believe, mostly from what I've read here, that if I disclose this to the doctors, even though it is a tiny dose, they will take the baby for observation immediately after birth and possibly even want to keep the baby in the NICU for a few days.

I also believe that, with this dose, the baby is very unlikely to have any withdrawals-- and if he/she did, they'd be extremely mild and not require medical intervention.

I am very big on immediate breast feeding, skin-to-skin bonding, etc.-- I know that doing these things has huge and lasting effects on the baby's physical and psychological well-being. I do not want to do anything that will force the doctors to not allow me to practice this extremely important initial care of the baby immediately after birth. I do not want the baby in the NICU when there is very little chance that he/she will actually need it. In short, I don't want the baby taken away after birth on a technicality.

Can anyone tell me:

1. Am I correct in thinking that on less than half a mg. the baby is unlikely to suffer any withdrawals?

2. Am I correct in thinking that they will likely take the baby away at first anyway if I disclose this Subutex use to the OB?

What should I do? I'm going in for the appt. tomorrow afternoon so need advice ASAP!!

Thank you so much and best of luck to everyone here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:36 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You need to tell the Dr. you will most likley need to try and come off of it easyer said then done I know but you should not take the chance this is powerfull drug and can harm the baby and thats not fair to the baby so I hope this helps on your decsion good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:47 pm 
Actually it will likely NOT harm the bably and the practice, from what I have read, is to have Mom maintain on the lowest effective dose throughout the pregnancy. Dr. J has blogged recently about neonates and Sub - so please take the time to search for his post. The most recent research, I believe showed that Sub babies on average have fewer NAS symptoms than methadone babies, or none at all.
I'm all for honesty in recovery, but I can definately understand your hesitancy to disclose your 0.5mg dose, becasue there seems to be such a bias against addicted Moms & over-reaction to their newborns' symptoms. If you haven't already, read as many of the threads on this topic as you can. Some experiences have been positive, some quite negative. Ultimately, you will have to make your own decision on what to disclose. I wish you and your baby all the best - please let us know how it goes.
Lilly

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:09 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Being male I probably should not even comment as I don't have any first hand experience, but being a parent myself I always rule on the side of caution when it comes to my son. I do see your point, those first hours and days after my wife gave birth were very emotional for her and she couldn't even be in a different room than my boy. You have to think though, even if the risks are extremely low with the amount you are taking, you want the doctors to know what they are dealing with if there is any complication. Who knows, they could see something they don't like and not knowing about the sub, they could mistake symptoms for something else. I know these are probably one in a million scenerio's but you would never forgive yourself if something could have been prevented. Also, it would not look good if they disovered you with held that information. Please keep these things in mind. Good luck and congradulations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:16 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you Lilly, for that-- after I read the first reply I was thinking too that was a bit inappropriate. I mean pretty much every person on this board is on Sub, why else would we be on here?

Anyway, I went to the doctor yesterday and I had forgotten that on a visit months ago I had actually already disclosed my use of Subutex. The doctor told me that they cannot see me because they want me to go to a high risk doctor due to my age and Subutex use. However, while there, I asked her what the likely outcome would be regarding them keeping the baby. She told me that despite the fact that I was on such a low dose, just being ON it at all would mean that they'd probably keep the baby fpr 72 hours minimum to ensure that the baby did not go into withdrawals. This means NICU and formula feeding and being separated from my baby. So I have decided to start over with a new doctor and not disclose the Subutex. The decision seems pretty easy at this point. I would much rather be honest but I do not want my baby kept for 72 hours on a technicality when there is no reason for it. There's no way my baby could be in any kind of significant withdrawals with the dose (less than 0.5 mg.) I am on.

I'd still appreciate any feedback or advice, though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

violettrinity -

Just be careful - some states have a database where doctors and pharmacists can check to see what prescription medications you're taking, so you might want to look into that just to be sure.

You could also call the hospital where you plan to deliver (just pose as someone else) and ask them what their policy is regarding moms delivering on Subutex. There have been so many conflicting stories here on the forum, but generally it seems like it comes down to the policy of the hospital whether your baby will be automatically sent to the NICU or not.

I honestly feel for you & this crap situation you're in. I hope it all works out well for you.

-Jack Kornfield

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:03 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I totally agree with your decision, I'm staying at between .5 and 1mg for the exact situation your in. Alot of people around here have been posting about being off sub for 3-4 months and still feeling like shit, and think about it , once your sub Dr knows your off you'll have to find a new sub Dr to get your mesly .5mg ... The minute any hospital people know your on sub you WILL be treated like a 2nd class person GOOD LUCK to you, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:48 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum....as you probably have checked out..... there have been some crazy stories on here for sure for those that disclosed they were on subutex..only to be treated differently and have thier child taken for 72 hrs or more and CPS contacted...etc... There are a few that will say your dishonest or lying by omission and putting you and your baby at risk but you are at a really small dose and have been for awhile. Then there are some great stories of success.

I think you are doing the right thing and getting as much information as possible before making YOUR decision. I just saw a post to JustaGirl from Dr J and it was so true and I think even some may have suggested you go back and look at some of his post on his blog about pregnancy and subutex. I am so happy you have insurance and no longer have to stress that issue. You didn't share whether or not you have a lot of support at home......but I have to tell you I have two small boys and can only imagine if my partner was at a low dose and had the beliefs you do about your decision to have immediate contact I would do everything I could to make that happen......

I wish you the best and I know you will get enough information to make the right decision. Congrats and good luck. I am not a doctor just an addict that takes suboxone and becasue I am a guy I have never been pregnant...but that is just banannas and plums..........ha......

Jim