It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:56 am 

There are times I think, will something happen to buprenorphine in the future? Should I be worried something will happen to force all of us off this treatment? I read an article Friday evening about the FDA and whoever the powers that be have demanded Opana be taken off the market. They said because of the major abuse it's getting. Now I have done my fair share of Opana and they're extremely abusable, addictive and strong, but isn't oxycodone or other opiates in that level too? Why was Opana singled out over those? I'm sure there's an answer but regardless that got me thinking that what if they do something crazy like that with buprenorphine.

I overthink a lot, my fellow mods and friends here will agree I do that, but it is a concern. I'm not worried to the point of insanity or anything lol but that does cross my mind at times.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:06 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

docm2 wrote:
respectful groups, rarely any f bombs and when somebody goes off on a tangent about their use they are brought back. Less of a trigger that way. I really like the CBT foundation.

I was deployed to Biloxi for Katrina relief. 95% of what I was doing was to figure out ways to get people their chronic meds to them. Never saw so much SSRI withdrawal in my life.

Thanks Doc - At first when I started to go to SMART meetings I didn't think it was for me. There were some pretty rough guys in the group and you could tell they had been through the ringer more than once. The very first night I went I remember thinking to myself that I would never be seen with "these kinds of people" in normal everyday life. How utterly stuck up I was to think that. I've learned a lot from them since then and it taught me a lesson about how not to judge people.

Another reason I like SMART Recovery meetings is because they do keep you on track and don't usually let someone go off on a tangent for more than a few minutes at a time. Or if someone does need more time they will help that person process it through the A,B,C's instead of letting them just bitch and moan about it. The few times I went to NA it seemed like all they did was focus on the negatives as a group and it was emotionally exhausting. I could see why people would feel triggered to use after such a meeting. That and their closed minds when it comes to MAT and subs in particular, it just wasn't a good fit. But I know there are some good 12-step groups and people out there. They are just harder to find in my area.

You know, I remember when Katrina happened and I had some loved ones in the area. They all survived but they lost everything... everything, including their beloved animals. That was such a hard time to get through. I always wondered what happened to all of those people who needed medicines to survive. It's one of the main reasons why I was stressing about having a backup supply for myself.

I know I worry about stuff too much anyways, but disasters can and do happen all the time. I hadn't thought about the people on SSRI's before. Oh that had to be horrible to witness. We don't normally think about withdrawal from antidepressants but it can be really bad, especially benzodiazepines. Thank you for helping out during a crisis in our nation's history. I know that it was doctors that saved the lives of my loved ones in New Orleans. And I never got a chance to thank them personally.

Jenn, girl you sound a lot like me. One big ball of anxiety with a lot of "what if's". I don't mean that to be patronizing at all, in fact I identify with it very much. I'm the kind of person that can worry myself sick. I used to have a lot of stomach issues because of it so I feel for you. I've read a little about the Opana story and saw something on the news the other night when the company agreed to take it off of the market.

I get the feeling that they were being made an example of... period. Officials at the FDA and in Congress have been feeling the pressure from overdose spikes in this country and this was one simple way to look like they were doing something proactive about it. I personally feel it will accomplish nothing. We have all kinds of various pain killers to chose from in the US. And regardless of their attempts to make them safer, addicts will always find a way to abuse them. That's the danger with opiates that don't have a ceiling effect.

I think that buprenorphine might eventually face reclassification in the United States. I also think it will be completely political in nature if it does happen. Hopefully it won't be any time soon but I think we should all be prepared for it psychologically, if that's even possible. I believe buprenorphine's safety profile is what will protect it in the long run. The fact that you don't see people overdosing on subs like with Opana or other strong narcotics is huge.

I really feel for those patients who need strong pain medicines just to survive. I don't think taking away their meds is a good move but there are several other options to choose from, unlike with medications for addiction. Naltrexone is not a good match for me and methadone requires too many visits to a daily clinic. That leaves me only one option. Buprenorphine is the best option for me personally and I'll fight for the right to take it if need be. Let's just hope that it never comes to that.

- OM

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:55 am 

I agree, addicts will always find a way to abuse medication. I remember when the OxyContin 40's & 80's started having the coating on it or made to gel up if ppl tried to inject it or crush it to snort it. Everyone I knew at the time (while in active addiction) started putting these pills in the oven or something. Somehow that made it injectable or crushable. These ppl found a way around those issues, they'll always find a way. Same thing when they made Opana & some Morphine supposedly uncrushable, ppl found a way around it. I never did that because I was too afraid that I'd ruin the pill I so desperately wanted, so I can't say I did that personally, but there sure are ppl who did.

I do feel for the ppl who truly are in pain that don't abuse opiates, I'm sure it's frustrating for them to think they're being looked at like they're just shopping for opiates. It's a difficult thing in every direction I guess.