It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Short term suboxone
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So I was taking about 90-150 mg of oxycotin a day but about 4 months, i havent taken anything for 7 days now, but 3 days into being clean went to the doctor and was prescribed 2mg subs (to be taken 3 times a day) along with clonidine and gabapentin... i am very scared to get addicted to subs and want to stop ASAP and just want them to help with withdrawals...

the first day i took 4mg, the 2nd day 6mg, then 4 mg, then 3 mg, then 3mg, now 2mg, and want to take 1mg tomorrow and one 1mg the next day and then stop, at the worst not extend the use longer than 10 days

I am saving the clonidine for when i stop the subs, does anyone have any advice? I am hoping this will lead to minimal withdrawal, by the time I took the subs i still had the runs but the aches and most other physical symptoms had subsided

My friend is a doctor and he recommends that I stop taking the subs ASAP and I also agree that I want off them as soon as I can?

How bad do you think the withdrawals will be? I know the mental part will be an issue for a little but I dont want to take subs to deal with that and rather just take it head on, also at what point do you think I will become addicted to the subs, I dont even want to come close to that length....

Any help and support is greatly appreciated, I feel like Ive made big strides to becoming clean and cant wait to continue feeling sober again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

To be honest with you, That WAS my plan in the begining of suboxone. I just wanted to get thru the WD phase. BUT my issue was craving. My craving was so bad I ended up being on sub for a just short of a year. (tapering for 6 months)
You are tapering fast and if you are doing well, I say GO for it!! I never attempted to go below 4mg out of fear of relapsing due to craving. So You are doing fanstastic IMO keep on trucking. I hope you succeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:05 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If your decision is to use Sub as a detox aid, then IMO you shouldn't need to take it more than 6 days.

The purpose of the sub isn't so much to taper you off the Oxycontin. Rather it's only to relieve the withdrawal symptoms from the Oxycontin. By day 7 of Oxy withdrawal you should already be in the clear, so you really shouldn't have to take the Sub any longer than that. It would only increase the chances of creating Sub dependence.

It never really made sense to me how a Sub detox doesn't just delay the withdrawal process. But I've done two or three Sub detoxes as an inpatient and they worked really well. Nearly zero withdrawals after the Sub finished. Every time I was only given Sub for 5-7 days. (up to 7 days, but I'd refuse it often later on).

IMO it's smart to not opt for maintenance the first time we try to get clean, as you have chosen. IMO maintenance should only be reserved for those people who can't stay clean otherwise. Given your history is only 4 months you have a better chance at achieving abstinence than many.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:06 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks, yeah at 2mg I feel completely fine, I will post how I feel at 1mg. At 2mg, i dont feel high or energized i just feel normal, I am tired by 9:30-10:30 pm after waking around 830-9am. Which honestly is a great feeling because when I was getting high it didnt matter when I woke up but I was always up past 3am smoking cigarettes till I ran out.

Again my main concern is when taking subs will become a problem, I hope jumping off will be bearable

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So I'll be stopping subs all together tomorrow, only took 1 mg today and everything felt fine today so there is not much to report on that end.

Will continue to update, who knows maybe there is a way to use subs on a short term basis and not face the dreaded withdrawals that "every" user seems to complain of...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Good luck. I'm interested in how it'll go for you.