It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I will try to make this quick, I know that any advice I get is just that. I have been on Sub films for 2 months (6-8 mg day) and of course I call in for my refill and the doctor was on vacation. I was out for a week. I used methadone for 4 days, Friday at 5pm 10mg, Sat at noon 20 mg, Sunday noon 30 mg (too much) Monday at 6 am 10 mg. I now have my sub refilled, and I know my body and know that I am starting to feel the methadone wear off. Yawning, muscle aches and tired. But I am worried about the long half life. Is there a safe way to start the suboxone again to keep from going into precipitated withdrawals. I hope this makes sense and thank you in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Check out this link: http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

It's a "scorecard" where you can score the severity of your wd's. You should be scoring in the mild to moderate area before starting again. With your situation, you could probably (?) get away with being in the mild zone before restarting Suboxone.

If you're still worried about restarting, you could always start with a low dose of Suboxone, something like 2mg and see how that goes. To the best of my knowledge, 2mg isn't enough to send you into full blown precip. wd, but it's enough to let you know whether you've waited long enough or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I think Romeo has good advice. Methadone has an average half life of about 24 hours, but that can vary widely.

http://www.aboutmethadone.org

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 11:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you both for your great advice. I have been on Suboxone for 2 months and it has given me my life back. I just did not want to go through the horror of precipitated withdrawals, and I didn't. I knew the way I felt that it was ok to start the Suboxone again, but I just needed a friendly voice to say, "it will be alright." So back on the Suboxone, and so greatful that i am. Thank you both so much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 12:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey honeybun (that's what I call my boyfriend). :)

I see that you joined the forum a while ago, but noticed that you just started posting. So I just wanted to say welcome, and I'm glad that you found yourself back on subs safely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thank you for the welcome. I guess I didn't have much to say until i needed some advice. I waited just over 48 hours and it went fine. After the suboxone the methadone was a shock to the system. I didn't like the way it made me feel. It was like being high again and I will not use it again no matter the circumstance. I would rather suffer withdrawals than to slip back into that. I have so much free time without drugs. No looking or wondering. Not having to lie anymore. Not having to schedule everything around the pills. Suboxone has given me my life back. I was good at hiding it, no one knew. I think they almost suspected something but after several years of it, I just wanted to lead a "normal" life. No more ups and downs. I have my first outpatient appointment today and I don't really know what to expect, but it can't be worse than going to the doctor and pretending to need a prescription for pain, that I don't really have anymore. Thank you and this place is wonderful. I know some won't agree but this site and my family are what's helping me through this. I am not really a meeting type person or a therapy type person. This site is my therapy, because knowing that I am not alone in this is the biggest help. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 3:28 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi HoneyBun, you are similar in that we both are coming off Methadone to Suboxone. I was on a high dose of Methadone for Pain management. I came off 60mg of Methadone, currently after 2 weeks on Suboxone I am having a hard time finding the right dose to take away the W|D symptoms of the Methadone. My Doctor has put me on 16mg and I did ok for the first week then I slowly went backward to now I just don't feel ok or close to feeling good. I go to my second Doctor visit tomorrow so maybe he will up my dose or???
Keep us posted about how you feel cause that will help me judge my journey. You see we are all in this together and we are all here for each other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 7:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I only used methodone for a few days, I ran out of suboxone and thought it would at least keep the withdrawals away. But I think no matter what we were on we are all in the same boat. I did notice that for a few days after the short term methadone use, I didn't feel quite right on the suboxone. I think it that high feeling that we are used to having. The best thing I have found that helps is to take my mind off of it, read, watch tv or do anything but think of it. Thank you for the kind words. And I am glad I have found this website. I actually read it for a while before going to detox. Even my psychiatrist I went to today agrees that this website is very useful, especially for people like me who live in a podunk and meetings are a long drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 8:23 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

hi honeybun! glad all went well for you. i did the same thing, twice. the first time it was fine, the second time, not at all. both times were 3 days.? anyways, no more of that. both times i ran out early cuz my addiction told me i needed more. actually, this forum got through to my brain that i didnt need it, and am taking less than half the prior dose. meetings didnt work for me either, all i experienced was catty drama that i already deal with at work. glad you also turned your life around!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I also had a similar experience. I was prescribed a few days of methadone when I was released from the hospital. I was lucky to have a caring doctor. I don't know exactly what the laws are for regular doctors wanting to prescribe methadone to addicts, I didn't even think that was a possibility. He knew that if I was discharged with nothing I would die very quickly if I used again. Even death is not enough of a deterrent when you're in the midst of your addiction (actually most of the time it would have been a relief). So he gave me enough methadone to get me through until I could see a suboxone doc. I went one day without the methadone, the next day I was given subutex, and the next day I started the suboxone. No issues at all.