It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: is she a liar??
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:10 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

ok, so i'm kinda heated. last night's intervention was a follow-up show about 2 former addicts and how they're doing now.

brooke has rheumatoid arthritis and abused the hell outta some pain pills. goes to a nice treatment program for like 6 months. then while she's visiting with her parents, she tells them that she is now on low doses of suboxone and norco.

i'm like, what did she just say?!? suboxone plus norco?!? so now i'm confused. does she not know what she just said? what would be the point of taking an opiate on top of suboxone?

earlier in the show it said she relapsed on pain pills she had stashed at her parent's house. but then she said she took all of her seroquel at one time. is seroquel now a pain med?? cuz i thought it was an anti-psychotic.

can anyone help clear this up for me??

[i'll save my soapbox rant for later.]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I caught that also.I think that in some cases a doctor may prescribe the two drugs together in very small doses for pain- perhaps they use the Norco for breakthrough pain when it is severe, but she is on Suboxone for maintenance on a regular schedule.For her condition, it may require a unique way of prescribing. I know of a doctor that uses Ultram and Suboxone together while a patient is tapering-
To most people it may not make sense, but I would have to assume a physician would have his reasons for doing things a certain way.
The story on Brooke was unique because of her condition.There was the arthritis, but there was also a possibility of Lhym'es disease.Oh well- who knows for sure- maybe she meant subutex?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think if you're on a low enough dose of suboxone, then norco would work for breakthrough pain. The benefit would be that the suboxone (hopefully) would stop you from taking the whole bottle of norco in 2 days.

When I had a kidney stone, at the hospital they gave me 2 shots of dilaudid & a shot of toredol, plus a scrip for 20 percosets. When I got back home & slept off the IV drugs, I woke up in pain. I figured a percoset on it's own wasn't going to do shit, so I took about 1mg of Sub (my dose at the time was 4mgs) and then took the percoset. It worked great. The sub was enough to keep the nasty cravings away, and when my kidney hurt too much I could take 1 percoset without freaking out and taking 4 or 5 instead. For the first time EVER, I ended up not finishing a bottle of pain meds. Fancy that.

So maybe that's the deal. At low doses, Sub is a pretty effective pain reliever - and it still leaves room for a full-agonist opiate for breakthrough pain.

Now, taking all your seroquel at once seems like a problem indeed. It is an antipsychotic, but some doctors prescribe it off-label for other stuff - anxiety or as a sleep aid. I had a doctor give it to me once and I took it not knowing what it was all about. Never, ever, ever again. I felt like I got hit by a truck. Ew.

-Jack Kornfield

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:24 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

thanks for the replies. okay, now that does make sense. she did specifically say that she was on very low doses of both meds. from the responses, i gather that breakthrough pain could be managed with norco. cuz you're right shelwoy, hers was definitely a unique case!! and that makes sense because of her r.a. she will need pain meds for the rest of her life, so the sub+norco would help teach her how to not over-medicate like she was.

quitter- i completely feel ya with the seroquel. my fiance used to take them for sleep, and a few times i took one of his, desperate for some sleep. talk about a mistake, OMG!! i had these horrible tics, my legs would start jumping all around, my whole body would tense up every few seconds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

dirtysouth - Yeah, I slept like I'd been KO'd in a prize fight and when I woke up I could not stop eating. It was like pot-munchies on steroids. And I felt so hungover. But I guess it works for some people.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

wow diary. i had no idea that what she was saying could be true, but the way you've explained it makes sense. i was thinking that the bupe would be so greedy at taking up all the opiate receptors that it would be physically impossible for any other opiate drug to work. but in such low doses, i can see how it could work.

at any rate, i'm glad for brooke that she was able to get her life back. there are so many people out there right now who are dealing with pain issues, who may be struggling with keeping their prescription drug use in check, and those same people haven't been blessed with the opportunity of going to a fancy rehab for 3 months. they might see her story and want to try and get the same kind of treatment. i think it's agreed that there are many, many doctors who aren't all that knowledgeable about suboxone, and there is already so much mis-information out there that i would be very disappointed if the producers allowed incorrect info.

i do admit that i tend to take this show too personally, and that it is just a tv show. but on the other hand, it's more than just a tv show to me because it's on a subject that has been very important in my life, and this show helps families and gives such a gift to addicts who need help. the show can't help everybody, but they can do a great service to other addicts by showcasing what those addicts did to get clean, stay clean.

lol, am i crazy or what?!

Post subject: Well
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:53 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know I get prescribed Ultram and Suboxone at the same time. I haven't taken the Ultram yet but when I have a migraine I'm suppose to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I, too get Ultram and Suboxone. My physician uses them together as a tapering method- but I have spoke with several people who deem this very dangerous and counterproductive. I just don't take the ultram at all.