It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: No sex drive
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Does taking subs lower my tastarones(srry about spelling). I have had no sex drive since ive been on sub and my anti depressant(citalopram hbr 40mg tablet). Im affraid my wife is going to cheat on me. We havnt had sex in months. I cant make myself have sex with her.becouse no sex drive. Its freaken me out. Ive read some threads about this issue, but was wondering if anybody knows for sure if sub lowers T's.

Post subject: Re: No sex drive
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:10 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

All opioids can lower testosterone levels in men over time. Studies show that agonists have a greater effect than partial agonists like buprenorphine, but I've had a number of male patients who had low testosterone levels, when we checked them. The problem is that we never know if buprenorphine was responsible, or if their levels would have been low even without the buprenorphine--- so it is difficult to know how great an effect buprenorphine has.

Whether or not to replace testosterone can be a difficult issue. Sometimes we will replace the testosterone, and the people will continue to lack sex drive-- because sex drive can be impacted by so many things. Replacing testosterone can have side effects, like breast growth in men (testosterone is converted to estrogen), and aggravation of prostate cancer or benign prostate enlargement.

The first step is to have your testosterone level checked. Your general practice doc can order that test, and it is not real expensive.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

The citalopram can be the culprit as well. SSRI's can drop libido as well.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:15 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok,thanks guys.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

As others have said, both buprenorphine and citalopram could be playing a role. That being said, I've been no anti-depressants both on Suboxone and off, and only suffered low testosterone while I was on Suboxone. This is a very real side-effect of Sub, and is one of the main reasons why I chose to stop taking it. Other symptoms of low testosterone I experienced were a general lack of mojo, and depression. People with pre-existing mental health issues (I have bipolar) seem more sensitive to the mood effects of lowered testosterone. I relapsed on heroin because my self-esteem took a battering from it all, and of course that didn't solve any of my problems.

I'd be getting your T levels checked. To be diagnosed, you have to have a couple of tests and both need to show clinical low T.

I can't speak for while I was on Sub, but after I got off it, going to the gym and doing weights really kick-started my mojo. Maybe give that a go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:34 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

ok, ill go to my dr. and have my ts checked. Yeh, I have mental disorder to. Ive been dionogesd with social disorder, manic depression, adhd, and bi-polar,and ptsd. Know wonder im an addict. Its horrible to deal with. Oh well,life goes on.