It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Severe weight loss?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Been on subs under doctor for 2 years. Am 5'8 male and only weight 120.

Anyone else have this problem?

Post subject: Re: Severe weight loss?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm 

Hi merican,

Judging by the lack of responses to your question, I suppose no one is having the same issue of weight loss.

Have you spoken to your doctor about this? Some things need to be ruled out first before the Suboxone is suspected to be the cause. A great deal of weigh loss is not good and may indicate a more serious condition. Slow and minor loss may just be a lack of appetite. You would need to do a search via Google or whatever to see if opiates in general suppress the appetite.

If you have talked to your doctor, what did he/she say?

Sorry that you didn't get any decent answers to your post. By me posting to it, it will bump it up again to the front page and then you might get some responses.

What you didn't get was a proper welcome. So...Welcome to the forum! Poke around and read some of the thousands of posts we have archived. Lots of great stuff here.

rule

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I actually had the same thing happen, I chalked it up to having energy from being normal compared to being on methadone and being a couch potato. I'm actually nervous that I will gain some back when I quit, I'm enjoying being a size two!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:39 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

im having this problem right now. when i was using, i had a great appetite and weighed rougly 155. been on suboxone almost 4 months now and for the last month or so, have lost my appetite and am rarely hungry and when i do eat i get really full very fast. have lost 20 lbs. in the past month or 2...i am asking the same questions, and need to talk to my doc.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:51 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have lost about 3kg in a couple of says on suboxone but I carry a lot of muscle from weight training and do regular yoga/Pilates. The Subs motivate me..about 15 minutes after dosing I'm super motivated to do the things I had lost pleasure for from endorphins getting burnt out from codeine and trams etc. I hope the Subs have this motivational / energy effect long term.

Just remember losing weight is simply burning more calories than the calories you have fed your body. If Subs are blunting ones appetite then one should be exercising and doing healthy physical activities which will then give you an appetite. Always try to eat clean and don't consume too much heavily processed and junk meals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:17 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am so glad to be reading this. I have the exact same problem. I have been on Suboxone since August 2012. It has been a miracle drug for me and now I am tapering slowly to get off. About a year ago or a year and a half ago I started losing weight little by little.

Within one month after starting my Suboxone treatment plan, I developed an intense dislike of beer… The smell makes me nauseous. Liquor now is just gross to me. I have always been a beer drinker and all my friends are shocked that now I seldom ever drink at all.

With that being said I have modified my behavior but at the same time I started losing weight. After about 10 months I had lost 25 pounds. My doctor found that I have hypo thyroidism. But usually that next people gain weight. (also just for notes… Eight years ago I had gastric bypass and lost the hundred and 60 pounds with that.) This past summer my doctor got very worried and ordered a bunch of tests and a CAT scan and in fact I was terrified. Test one month before a friend went into the hospital with a stomachache and died three weeks later of pancreatic cancer. So imagine what was going through my mind.

In any case my CAT scan came back normal, my blood tests came back normal except for my thyroid, and so I was pretty content. I changed general doctors and so I told him about my problem and he told me I was just fine I still weigh hundred and 86 pounds so not to worry… But I am not that kind of person and I have a health insurance so I demanded a few more tests.

I hadn't endoscope to evaluate and look at my esophagus, stomach and the beginning of my small intestine and Since I am 46 we decided to go ahead and do a colonoscopy.

Everything has turned out great but I can't help but wonder… Is Suboxone really responsible for my weight loss.

I still have a very good appetite, and I just don't eat a lot.

My friends tell me I don't eat anything or I eat like a bird but I just don't see it be that bad.

So… Yes I have lost about 36 pounds while on Suboxone.

Anybody else have thoughts or experiences?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:40 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Although it has taken me several months and years before I came upon this site and particularly this question, I too have lost any and all body fat I may have once had but more harmful and terrifying
Is the loss of my muscle mass. I was always a tall (6' 3") guy with a slender build,always fluctuating between 195 and 220 lbs. after 3 years of suboxone, I now weigh 157 and look like I have been starving myself. My eyes are set back and you can actually see the skeletal shape of my face, chest, ribs and now, the scariest part my legs. I used to be so proud of my thick muscular legs no matter how skinny I may have appeared up top, my legs always looked great. Not now.

All other testing to determine any significant problems to cause such weight loss have been performed but to no avail .

Clueless. I am now believing that this suboxone is rotting me out from the inside. The only other med I take everyday is omeprozole .

Any suggestions? My diet has become extreme as I try to over compensate with like 4000 calls a day.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:30 am 

Hey Brizzz,
I dont hsve the real answers your looking for nere, but wanted to welcome you to the best sub forum on the web.
Im sure you have read the other posts on this thread.
The fact you Have checked out with a dr on this and still havnt found the reasons is baffling.
As a poster said above , weight loss is a lack of calories .??.

Idk....If it is this bad, maybe a reduction in sub?
Hopefully more answers will come.
For me, the first few months i dropped 20 pounds.
That was 3 years ago. I chalked that up to stopping all beer intake..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:56 am 

There are so many factors when it comes to weight loss that it would be hard to pin down exactly what is causing yours. All I can do is give you my experience. I gained weight when I first went on suboxone. About 25 lb worth. I've lost it again over the past year, but I could stand to lose more. So I'm definitely not experiencing the same side effect.

I advise you to get your testosterone levels checked, however. Any opiates can cause low testosterone and I'm pretty sure that testosterone has a lot to do with the formation and maintenance of muscle mass, especially in men. It's just a thought!

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes,I also have severe weight loss.Also the prescribing doctors, more than one at this psychiatric office are seeing weight loss in other patients.
Lowering dosage may help but I think it causes appetite loss,increased energy,etc...
Even though I excerise, 2-3 miles every other day,also physical work I can noit gain weight.
Every drug has side effects.That's just fact.After 10 years my doctor wouldn't just make up the fact other patients have weight loss also.
Suboxones full side effects still are not fully recorded for its still a fairly new drug.

Opiates it slows down digestion,effects appetite,sleep,energy,testosterone, muscle weakness,etc..
It has both positive and negative side effects.It wasn't made to cure opiate addiction,its a side effect that blocks receptors.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,
I've had a similar experience to cakeguy's. I'm a 26yr old female, I've never weighed more than 115 and I'm only a few inches over 5ft tall. So I have a small build, but I got down to 75lbs when I first went on suboxone. My primary care doctor freaked out and ordered a million tests, blood tests, endoscopy. She told me I had to be doing permanent damage to my organs, but the tests came back fine. I was sooo self conscious and I know I looked super sickly. I have a stomach ulcer and the subs definitely upset it. The guy I was dating at the time had also lost a bunch of weight while on subs, he's in jail and was forced to detox, but I've never seen him look healthier in the 5yrs I've known him. He really loves being sober and waking up with energy.
I'm wondering if everyone here having issues with weight is a male? None of my female friends on suboxone have issues with losing weight, actually the opposite. But a lot of the guys I know seem to have lost weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:54 pm 

This seems unfairly amusing. The people who can't afford to lose weight do, and the people like me who would embrace that side effect, don't. Murphy's Law I guess. My guess is that the people who have a fast metabolism anyway, are somehow more likely to experience this result than others.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:49 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on suboxone for 2 years this time around.
I am 37 yrs old, male, 6ft 1 inch and currently weigh around 166. I was clean 3 yrs ago for about a year and I looked great. Now I am self conscious about it, when I see pictures of myself I can tell right away. I am naturally a slender guy but what I weigh now is 10 lbs below what I normally weigh when I am not on suboxone or any opiates. Although I am within my BMI my face looks skinny and my body too. I def don't look as attractive as when I was clean and my parents have asked me about it as well as some friends (none of whom know I'm on subs)

2 months ago I was 158 (way too skinny! 20 pounds under my sober/clean weight) so I have actively been working very hard to get my weight up.
I have been trying many, many things. So, in the last 2 months this is what I've been doing:

-I go to the gym 3-4 times a week and ONLY do strength training (weights, bench press, pull ups, squats, etc) No cardio

-I eat a lot of protein and always drink a big protein shake after the gym

-I try to eat more in general. It's hard to tell if I'm really getting enough though cuz subs definitely kill my appetite. But I actively have been trying to be eating more.

-I try to stay hydrated, drink lots of water, no soda (i do drink coffee though, like 2 cups most days which is not great but I need that stuff haha)

-I eat before bed, something high protein, like greek yogurt or cereal w/ whole milk

-I have increased my fiber intake so that I now have healthy looking shit (pardon my french) instead of those opiate craps we all know about, the golf balls (haha)

-I have lowered by sub dose to around a quarter in the am and a quarter pill in the pm (so 4mgs a day total)
(I do slip up occasionally and take more but I've been pretty good)
I've even lately been trying to spit it out after like 7-10 mins instead of leaving it in for 30-40 mins.
On this lower dose I do wake up feeling a tiny, tiny bit of withdrawal (I wake up with that tossing/turning uncomfortable feeling, but not that bad)

So, after doing allll this (and believe me, eating a lot is kind of a pain cuz my appetite isn't so huge) I have managed to go up from 157-159 to a fluctuating weight around 166-168 . I still can't get that last 8-10 lb.s on that I need. My face looks skinny and not as good as before. I don't know what it is that is stopping me from gaining the rest but it's annoying as hell. I wanna quit the subs but I did that before and it took me like 1 month of feeling like total shit and another month feeling not good before I could function. And that was in a rehab. Can't do that out here and go to work etc. F that. Been there before and it blows.

My sub doc says I'm fine, that I'm within my BMI so she doesn't really care. But I think I'm gonna ask her for the med that a forum member qhorsegal2 mentioned: Megace. It's an appetite stimulant. Maybe that will help. Cuz this is a constant battle, reminding myself to eat all the time even when I don't feel like it. The gym stuff is positive. I was way skinnier before in the arms and chest, at least that has improved a bit but still I do not look normal.

Thanks for reading my long post. Please offer any suggestions.