It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am in severe pain...sitting in the emergency room waiting room. I am new to this forum and new to Suboxone and I am on 16mg's per day (two 8mg/2mg films). I started having severe stomach pain...actual stomach area, upper, center abdominal area.... about 6 hours ago and it has gotten so bad that I couldn't stand it any longer. My question is...will there be anything that they can give me to stop this pain with the high dose of suboxone that I am on? I am very serious about my recovery and I want whatever is causing this pain fixed and something HERE ONLY for the pain. I will not except a script for any pain meds because that is how I got into this mess to start with.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey LLF,

I'm sorry you didn't get an answer to your question sooner. I don't know that I can really answer it for you either, although you probably know by now what they can or can't do for you.

My understanding is that they can break through the suboxone, even in high doses, with other opiates. But it would have to be a very large dose of whatever they give you to do it. When people who are on suboxone are planning a surgery, most of the time they will drop their dose as much as possible for a few days before going in so that they will have adequate pain control.

I know that in your situation this was not possible. I'm curious how the doctors handled it. Did you receive any kind of pain meds in the hospital? If so, did they help?

I think this would be a great question to have answered for the benefit of others in the future. If you would, I would love it if you could come back and give us an update.

Thanks, and I hope you are feeling better! Did they figure out what was causing your pain?

Q

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Q,
Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I agree with you, this subject doesn't have enough answers anywhere on the internet ( I know because I searched for over 6 hours)
I was in severe abdominal pain...a pain that I NEVER could have faked in my using/seeking days...I could not stand up straight and my husband had to carry me into the ER. When I was taken to triage my husband was telling them what was going on and I was barely able to speak but I did get out "on Suboxone". The triage nurse was nasty! She called the nurse in the back and said " Do you have a room? Oh it's just a Suboxone patient with pain...imagine that!" I wanted to leave but my husband wouldn't let me. They took me straight back to a room and my nurses where super sweet and the doctor was great. Everytime somebody walked in the room I told them that I was on Suboxone. The doctor sat down on my bed, held my hand and said " Sweetie we know you are on Suboxone and we know you are really in severe pain because we see hundreds of seekers a week. I'm going to try to stop your pain and I am going to find and fix what is causing it". Talk about a HUGE relief because I thought they were all going to be like the first nurse.
He gave me an anti-nausea medicine via IV and a pain medicine that did work over the buprenorphine and it relieved all of my pain. I am going to be over cautious and not say the medicine or dose but just know that if you have a true emergency involving pain PLEASE know that there is a way for emergency doctors to help you. Oh and it was acute pancreatitis and just like I promised myself I did NOT accept any take home scripts. I really hope this helps someone else.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:39 pm 

I don't usually use profanity, but I would like to bitch-slap that first, nasty nurse into next week!!!

I'm so glad that the rest of the medical staff was kind and caring. I hope you get a chance to give feedback about that first nurse. I don't care how much she thinks you were drug-seeking, she needs to keep those thoughts to herself and remain professional.

So, your pain must have been under control by the time you left the hospital. Do they think that the pancreatitus will return? You might want to talk to your sub doctor about a plan for if this ever happens again. There may be some pain medications that work better for sub patients that you could have on hand. For example, my sub doctor prescribes Nucynta extended release for me to have on hand when my severe migraines flair up. Nucynta is an opiate medication formulated to be effective on pain without causing euphoria. I am able to keep that medication on hand because I am not tempted to take it to get high. Perhaps your doctor could figure out something like that for you.

I hope you never have to deal with this again! Thank you for sharing your experience with the forum.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amy,
I had to LOL when I read your first statement because it reminded me of what I forgot to add. I had told my nurse about the triage nurse so when I was discharged she told me "We are going the long way out". So she pushed me through the triage area where that same nasty nurse was sitting and told her "This is Mrs ********** and we are going to sit in here while her husband brings the car around because it is so cold in the lobby and she is sick enough without having to deal with a cold too" and then in a loud whisper lol she starts talking to me "sweetie, I know you were worried about coming in because you were worries about staff here judging you because you are on Suboxone. I just want you to know that you 100% did the right thing because you never want to play around with pancreatitis. I know that when you came in you didn't know what was wrong but I can't imagine anybody in the medical field being STUPID enough or a big enough IDIOT to think that you were faking or that nothing was seriously wrong with you. If there is a nurse or doctor that is that STUPID or that big of an IDIOT then they need to quit there job and take their moron a** back to school and especially because you told EVERYBODY that you are on Suboxone for opiate addiction. Hell even the janitors here know that a seeker would NEVER tell somebody that they are on Suboxone lol. Off topic but had to share that! Clean & Recovering Addict 1 Nasty Nurse ZERO

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:13 pm 

LOVE IT!!!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Now back on topic....please don't kick me out for the last ramble.
I have an appointment with a GI doctor Monday morning and until then I get to drink a really gross GI cocktail 3 times a day. I also have a really exciting choice of foods and drinks....plain white bread, plain white rice or white meat chicken boiled in nothing but water until it is falling apart and I can have water or white grape or apple juice diluted with water.
As far as some type of med on hand, the GI cocktail works great as long as I don't let the pain get WAY out of control like I did last night

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You won't get kicked out for your last ramble, I'm thinking a standing ovation is more likely!!! :)

I hope you get to feeling better soon.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Romeo! I'm starting to feel almost human again. I do need to add that if you are on Suboxone and have a medical emergency that lands you in the ER getting an IV pain med....BEFORE you leave the hospital, find out when it will be safe to start your Suboxone again. Being clean for so long on top of having to have a large dose to override the Suboxone....it kicked my butt HARD and thank God I did not like it at all....I didn't think to ask when it would be safe to start back but luckily my husband called my sub doctor and found out that what I was given had a very short half life so I didn't have to suffer any WD