It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Severe Anxiety
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone,

I've been off subs for about 6 months now. Had a minor 4-5 day tramadol 50mg relapse about 4 months ago.
For the past months however my anxiety is going through the roof. I tried seroquel for that but it didn't do very much.
A week ago i was put on zoloft for my anxiety/depression. I can deal with the depression but the anxiety is really debilitating :( I'm really considering leaving work for a few months, for it to hopefully sort out.

For anyone who's been off subs for a while, what are your experiences with anxiety? Does it go away and how long did it last from your experience?

Warm Regards

Post subject: Re: Severe Anxiety
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:56 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

durden wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've been off subs for about 6 months now. Had a minor 4-5 day tramadol 50mg relapse about 4 months ago.
For the past months however my anxiety is going through the roof. I tried seroquel for that but it didn't do very much.
A week ago i was put on zoloft for my anxiety/depression. I can deal with the depression but the anxiety is really debilitating :( I'm really considering leaving work for a few months, for it to hopefully sort out.

For anyone who's been off subs for a while, what are your experiences with anxiety? Does it go away and how long did it last from your experience?

Warm Regards

We are talking social related anxiety? I still get it from time to time. It seems to be tied to level of selfesteem - when its low, doing simple things can trigger anxiety for me - i can sort of feel the tension rise in my jaw and my shoulders.
It does get better if you practice though and relatively to when i had around 2-3 months off, its defenately better now (~1year off) - without being completely gone.
I tryed paraxotine a couple of months ago, and it actually felt like it helped - but because i got some weird sideeffects i stopped taking them.
For me the key thing is working on that selfesteem.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi durden,

Have you ever had anxiety before you started suboxone treatment? Do you have a therapist to talk to about it? Often anxiety is best treated by figuring out what the underlying issue is. And when it comes to us addicts, medications to treat anxiety often just isn't a good idea, depending on the medication. Many of us do well using meditation/self-hypnosis, etc.

Some people have found that going on sub causes an increase in their anxiety. (It's never bothered me in that way.) If that's the case, you could speak to your doctor about reducing your dose and perhaps that might help.

I'm only throwing out ideas here since we just don't know very much about you or your history. But if you're new to addiction remission/recovery and have anxiety issues, I would highly recommend checking into therapy. You might really benefit from it.

Good luck!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:24 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In addition to the above, I just wanted to add that SSRIs like zoloft are not anti- anxiety meds like bezos which have their own risk of addiction. They are primarily antidepressants that are known to really improve anxiety. the thing is, a week isn't enough time. You need to give it a minimum of another week and a full month is even better. Don't throw in the towel yet, it mat actually work. That being said, there have been some big advancements in dealing with anxiety through therapy. I would seriously consider it before leaving your job.
As far as your anxiety being from going off of Subs, it's really hard to say. Some people have a variety of issues in the months after going of opiates/Suboxone. On the other hand, people who have never used drugs in their lives develop anxiety issues, too. I hope you feel better, and keep posting about it, it might help.
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:34 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Some really good advice in these posts.

Like hat said, I'd try to to nail whether or not anxiety is an underlying problem. Trying to figure that out can give you some idea of how to deal with the problem as well. Look into your past before you used opiates, and try to put a finger on whether you had anxiety episodes then. Bear in mind that low level anxiety is normal in many situations, and necessary to our survival. Everyone gets a bit anxious, even if they don't admit it. It's also abnormal to not suffer some kind of social anxiety. It's the debilitating anxiety that is abnormal, and needs to be looked at. Also does you family have a history of clinical anxiety / depression? These things can run in the family. If there's definitely clinical anxiety going on throughout your life, then it will likely need periods of treatment in the long term. Try non-medical methods first, medication once all else fails. Try to stay off the tranquillisers.

If your anxiety is a symptom of your "early recovery" off opiates, then personally I would try to delay jumping on the medicine bandwagon and see if the problem passes on its own. I'd also look into things like exercise, meditation, cutting out caffeine, diet, sleep etc. I think when we immediately turn to medications in early recovery, we are avoiding what is really an opportunity to learn to deal with life's difficulties without drugs or meds.

And something really important? The only way you will stay clean is if you understand that, no matter how bad your anxiety gets, opiates will never be the solution. Allowing ourselves to "self-medicate" with opiates when our mental health deteriorates is a big predictor of relapse. You gotta nip that one in the bud!