It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:49 pm 
Hello all!! I'm writing today probably more for myself than for anyone else. I've decided to 'journal' my taper in order to keep up with where I am and track my progress. Of course, I'm always open to any suggestions, encouragement, or questions. And, of course, if anyone is able to find any help from following my taper....all the better!!
So, where am I now? I am at almost exactly two years and one month from my original start date of Suboxone. During that time, at one point I had gotten down to 1-2mg/day and had a brief relapse, followed by another relatively quick taper down to ~2mg/day and another brief lapse. I also confess to a few other 'slips' during my time on Suboxone.
I am now 90 days out from my last 'slip.' During that 90-day period, I began individual therapy which has really proved to be the 'missing link' for me, in terms of finally moving on from this terrible chapter of my life. Well, that and just good ole T.I.M.E. Without going into any details here.....since the time at which my addiction was 'discovered' in September of 2008, I have had an enormous amount of stress in my life....personal, professional, every-which-way! That period of time, those events, needless to say, held a good deal of loss for me. Which, in turn, left me in a depressed state, pretty much a devastated state which has been very hard to crawl out of!
Anyway, I prefaced this thread with that information in an attempt to answer for myself and anyone else who asks, "Why will this time be any different? Why will you succeed this time where you have not before?" Well, I finally feel equipped and ready and willing to leave all that behind and move on. And....there is just something on the inside of me that says "I am ready." So here I go!

At my last doctor appointment, I told him where I was.....at 2mg/day and holding for several weeks and getting ready to taper on down. I requested some 'comfort meds' for the taper and final 'jump.' In the past, he had declined such meds, saying that if I tapered low enough and slow enough, I "shouldn't need anything." I asked again anyway and at my request for "Clonidine, a benzo and something for sleep," he promptly prescribed me Clonidine, Xanax and Ambien. I felt like that was awesome! So I have my meds available if needed. Yea!
So, as of today......I had tried to just move right on down to 1mg/day (approximate dosing as I'm breaking tablets) and although it really wasn't too bad, after about one week of that I was kind of tired of the sweating and was having some deep (albeit relatively mild) leg pain. I took a dose of the Clonidine 0.1mg and discovered that wasn't the best idea, at least not in the morning! It seemed to make me quite sleepy and lethargic feeling. So, instead I decided to go ahead and supplement my ~1mg/day of Sub with another small piece of Sub if needed, perhaps every other day or so. So what I have on board basically now, is 1mg/day with an additional ~1mg/day on yesterday.
Barring anything unforseen, I believe that I will continue on at 1mg/day, supplementing with another ~1mg/day once or twice a week (if needed for symptoms) for another couple of weeks. At that time I will plan to continue at 1mg/day until I've gone at least a week or two without needing any additional doses. When that milestone comes, I will probably go on to a half milligram a day and see how it goes.
Oh...the other thing I have done, is I have actually skipped a day's dose a couple of times over the last 3-4 weeks. That makes me feel especially optimistic! As far as w/d symptoms....As I mentioned above, all I've really had is some irritating sweating (I must add that where I live it is running an average record-breaking temp of 105-100 degrees!) and that deep ache in my lower legs when I first wake up in the morning sometimes. I dose first thing in the morning, one time a day, by the way.
Whoever is willing....please send me your best wishes and send God your sincerest prayers for me if you're a believer in God. And I am doing the same for you all as well, no matter where you are in your own recovery.
I'm so optimistic!! As I mentioned another time here.....I feel I'm finally ready to very gradually let go of my life preserver (Suboxone) and start swimming for the shore!! I can't wait to get there!!
Thanks everyone! I'll update this as changes occur and will use it as part of my accountability as I go forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

setmefree,

Can you hear me?? I'm on shore and I'm hollering your name!! I'm all like, over here dude, over here!!! I can see ya, you've got three fingers of one hand holding onto that life-preserver......you're almost ready to let go!!! I'll be right here on shore waiting for ya. I've got donuts, chocolate bars, potato chips, bacon (gotta have me some bacon) and other goodies waitin' on ya too!!

I've been praying for you and all of the folks on this forum for a long time now, I certainly will not stop praying for you and everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Oh Yeah, once you get to shore you're gonna find that the beach is full of broken glass, but myself and several others have found a path through the broken glass and we'd be glad to show you how we got through it. Once the beach ends and the grassy areas start, you're gonna find some areas that aren't safe to travel......we'll help you through that too. What we've found is that it's much easier to travel together, we rely on each other's unique gifts and experiences to continue beating a path through this thing called "living without Suboxone."

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:16 am 
Thank you, Romeo! I love everything you said!!! I know you're right about it not being all sunshine and rainbows on that "shore" I'm so anxious to get to, but I needed the reminder! I really did. Sometimes I focus so much on the whole quitting Sub thing that I forget that my primary focus needs to be on what happens after that. I am so glad that I've got you and the others here who have done this thing already, to help me once I get through with this phase.
All is well as of this morning.....Last night I had a little bit of anxiety and restlessness at bedtime. Rather that take an extra piece of Sub, I decided to try taking a dose of Clonidine and that did the trick! I slept fine....Woke up with a little of the leg aching this morning and went ahead and took my 1mg of Sub. That was about an hour ago and I feel just fine now....ready to start the day.
Thanks again Romeo! You're the best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:53 pm 
Great news....Not only have I not needed to supplement with any additional Sub with the 1mg/day, I've also now gone 48+ hours with NO Sub at all! I've had a some restless leg (actually body) symptoms when I'm first falling asleep at night and then last night I awakened briefly several times during the night. Other than that, I've had a little bit of irritability/mild anxiety, but nothing big at all. Oh yeah, and a pretty bad headache which has been relieved somewhat by Advil. I've taken the Clonidine and Ambien at night and taken a couple of tiny doses of the Xanax (prescribed by my Sub doc) and that's seems to be enough for now.
I didn't plan to quit Sub yet, just was busy the day before yesterday and kind of forgot about it till later in the day and just decided to go without it and see what happened. Then this morning, I went ahead and got up and got going, and although I didn't feel fantastic, I did not take any Sub, just to again, kind of see what happened. So here it is, almost 5pm, and I'm okay.
My pupils have been pretty dilated off and on (more than they have been in two years!) but over all, I haven't felt bad enough to dose with Sub. So, I'll see how things go and go from there. If I get hit with a bunch of withdrawal symptoms, I will take a small amount of Sub, no problem. Perhaps I will be able to dose 'as needed' instead of doing a regimented taper. This is the way my doctor has told me to do it all along, so who knows? Maybe it will actually work for me.
That's my update for today. I continue to feel very optimistic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

WOW!! Good for you!! I do wish this would happen to me, but I am so happy for you, because you are such a SWEET PERSON and if anything deserves to catch a break, it is YOU!!!!

Please take care of yourself from here on out. Easier said than done, but Setmefree, you are a golden person and I would not say that if I did not mean it. Keep being you and keep your head up!!

P.S.: I cannot believe you can fall asleep w/o your Sub and that your legs are not driving your buggy! I'm jumping outa my skin by nighttime....stupid legs need to go to bed too!! Should I stop exercising, lol?

(((((HUGS)))))) and more ((((((HUGS)))))) and lots of PRAYERS for you :D God Bless you!!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow! This is fantastic news! I'm cheering you on, and sending you positive thoughts and prayers! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:47 am 
Thanks, Ladder and Lilly! You guys are so awesome!
Well, I slept okay last night (took an Ambien and a Clonidine.) But I woke up feeling pretty crappy.....headache, leg aches, a bit anxious, eyes watering and I think I yawned about 100 times in 30 minutes! Weirdness......this is just weirdness!! There is just NO understating the uniqueness of this experience (Sub w/d) from one person to the next! There are some things which are quite predictable, but so many which are variable!
I decided to go ahead and take a dose of Sub. It's not that I "couldn't" have pushed through what I was experiencing.....It's just that I'm not willing to. At least not at this point. So I took a tiny dose, maybe a little less a half milligram and waited about an hour. When I still didn't feel an better, I went ahead and took another tiny piece and now, about another hour later, I feel okay.
So we'll see what happens......I'm not disappointed or anything that I couldn't just walk away from Sub without batting an eye! That rarely happens. I'm just going to continue to try the "dose-as-needed" plan and not worry about it a whole lot.
Thank you again for the well wishes! And you guys have mine always!

And LT....I sure wish you could have some Ambien or a little benzo or something to help with your restless legs and sleep difficulty. I went through that so bad myself when I did my cold-turkey detox off full-agonists. It was maddening!! You have my complete sympathy!! Also...I'm so impressed with how hard you work at not being bitter and angry for what you're going through. Your particular history is quite unique and I have thought several times how pissed I would be if I were you! Anyway....soon it will all be behind you! Keep up the good work!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:44 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SMF, I don't know if I really have room to be angry. I mean, I went along with getting on Suboxone. I should have asked more questions, but who knows? Maybe it was the right choice because I still don't know what it feels like to have opiates calling my name and that is one monkey I'm glad to not have on my back!!! Suboxone does not call my name whatsoever. I do have Klonopin and I could up my dose but I really just don't want to. It seems like everything gives me a hangover if I take extra, including Clonidine, Benadryl....everything. My system is so sensitive now. How's your eating? Are you finding that you have to be a little careful with what you put in your mouth?

You are doing a wonderful job with having so much self control and only dosing when really necessary. This is a weird, weird kinda of experience, for sure. I dropped to .25 solidly over a week ago and am dosing only once at night. Last night, I had the worst insomnia and this morning woke up feeling like dog poop. Burned skin, anxiety, diarrhea, sneezing, malfunctioning nose...you know the drill. It's such a delayed reaction!! How can it possibly take so long to start feeling a drop? It's hard to convince myself it's something other than the Sub, though, because the symptoms are too obviously w/d to ignore. The thing is, though, that the fact that it is tough makes it more satisfying, KWIM?

You go girl!!!!!

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:06 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SMF,

Holy Smokes dude, you're just rocking right along!! Good for you!!

I like the dose as needed idea, are you tracking your doses at all or just not really paying it all too much attention?

Anyway, were still on shore......we can see you and LT coming towards us.......hey, I think I see Lilly now too!! Ummm, I'm trying to think of what we have on shore that you ladies would all like???......???? WE HAVE A MALL HERE!!!! :lol:

Keep working it ladies, you'll be on shore soon enough!!

Post subject: Update on my taper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:54 pm 
Here's my latest status update on my taper. I'm glad and proud to say that I have stayed the course with my taper this time! I am now down to 0.25mg - 0.5mg/day. I am not doing a liquid taper....just using the 2mg tabs and breaking them as carefully as I am able.....very tiny pieces! I try to delay dosing as long as I can, and at this point I seem to do better with taking a tiny piece in the morning (~0.25mg) and then if needed I take another tiny piece to get through the evening. I have not exceeded 0.5mg/day total for about a week now. Yea!!
As to how I'm feeling?.......Not fantastic, but nowhere near full agonist withdrawal. I am experiencing gi issues (diarrhea) mostly just in the mornings, a little bit of an upset stomach, aching in my legs (I'd call it mild to moderate) and mild sleep disturbances. I am taking Clonidine sometimes at night only, Ambien at night, but not every night and rarely a very tiny dose of Xanax. My mental state is less than optimal.....I do not have severe anxiety or crushing depression, but I do have mild anxiety and depression and difficulty with motivation, but I am managing to get the things done that I need to get done. I have moments of feeling absolutely fantastic and that's what keeps me motivated to press on with this. I know that when I get to the end and get a little time off the Sub, I will feel well and whole again and I can't wait!
Good news about cravings, which has been a battle for me practically the whole time I've been on Sub......cravings are minimal. Any cravings I do have are overridden by my desire to be free of all opiate drugs, to be completely clear-headed and live my life feeling all my feelings completely again, looking forward to getting the joy back that I used to have in doing the little (and big) things in life that make me happy and make me 'me.' I'm tired of feeling blunted and robot-like, trudging through the days like the little things don't matter, when in an unaltered state, I remember getting so much more out of life. I have said before and say again.....I mean no offense to anyone who is happy and healthy on Sub maintenence. Over time, for me, my experience with Sub has changed and I no longer feel comfortable or 'right' staying on it.
As far as how this will end for me......My plan (loosely) is to try to keep my dose at just the one 0.25mg dose per day and I feel that I'll be there in the next few days because I seem to have adjusted to the 0.5mg....w/d symptoms are subsiding. I realize that I could probably mitigate some of my symptoms by being more precise with my dosing and by taking the dose reductions even slower and less at a time, but I'm not one to stick to a highly regimented, precise taper, dragging on for months and months. I'd rather suck it up (if I can) and do it faster and get it over with!
This is the closest I've ever been and it feels good.....well, not "good" but I'm still determined to get it done. Again, so far, it's nothing like w/d from full agonists, realizing (obviously) that I'm not done yet. It amazes me how strong this stuff is....just a crumb is a fair amount of drug when it comes to Sub.
Please keep me in your prayers and thoughts. If you're wanting to taper, I hope you'll find my story to be encouraging. We can do this if we want it badly enough. Timing is very important.....and patience is as well. We have to keep holding on to the fact that if we stick with it, it will get better.
My hope is that because I have been on relatively low doses for quite a number of months, I will avoid PAWS and it'll be more about just getting through the acutes (please God, let that be the case!)
Thanks for your support.

Post subject: Re: Update on my taper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[quote="setmefree"] Any cravings I do have are overridden by my desire to be free of all opiate drugs, to be completely clear-headed and live my life feeling all my feelings completely again, looking forward to getting the joy back that I used to have in doing the little (and big) things in life that make me happy and make me 'me.' I'm tired of feeling blunted and robot-like, trudging through the days like the little things don't matter, when in an unaltered state, I remember getting so much more out of life. I have said before and say again.....I mean no offense to anyone who is happy and healthy on Sub maintenence. Over time, for me, my experience with Sub has changed and I no longer feel comfortable or 'right' staying on it.

I so totally identify with the above statement. In a week or so I'm going back to a job that I was on 12mg the last time I worked. I just feel like it's going to be so much different now at 2mg, like I expect to be more present and less detached. Good for you, Setmefree, you're doing great and you have a fantastic attitude about it all. I will continue to follow your taper very closely, and I'm rooting for you!
Lilly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Setmefree,

I'm so happy for you. Things seem to be falling into place so nicely for you!! As always, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Post subject: ladder.....
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:53 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

laddertipper wrote:
SMF, I don't know if I really have room to be angry. I mean, I went along with getting on Suboxone. I should have asked more questions, but who knows? Maybe it was the right choice because I still don't know what it feels like to have opiates calling my name and that is one monkey I'm glad to not have on my back!!! Suboxone does not call my name whatsoever. I do have Klonopin and I could up my dose but I really just don't want to. It seems like everything gives me a hangover if I take extra, including Clonidine, Benadryl....everything. My system is so sensitive now. How's your eating? Are you finding that you have to be a little careful with what you put in your mouth?

You are doing a wonderful job with having so much self control and only dosing when really necessary. This is a weird, weird kinda of experience, for sure. I dropped to .25 solidly over a week ago and am dosing only once at night. Last night, I had the worst insomnia and this morning woke up feeling like dog poop. Burned skin, anxiety, diarrhea, sneezing, malfunctioning nose...you know the drill. It's such a delayed reaction!! How can it possibly take so long to start feeling a drop? It's hard to convince myself it's something other than the Sub, though, because the symptoms are too obviously w/d to ignore. The thing is, though, that the fact that it is tough makes it more satisfying, KWIM?

You go girl!!!!!

Hi girl. I was wondering since you seem to have so many issues already with physical symptoms-why dont you go ahead and quit? you are already in mild wd at this point it seems. I am jumping at 1mg-maybe even 2mg-if i feel like you AND im taking subs. whats the point of dragging it out??? you are so low, i dont think youd have that bad of wd.
much love.

laddertipper

Post subject: Seeing some progress....
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:58 pm 
This will make three days in a row of taking only one dose of ~0.25mg!!! That seems like such a miniscule amount, yet I know it isn't! At the same time, it's a hell of long way from 8-12 + mgs/day!! I feel that my receptors are really getting a little 'clear' time in, with the half-life of Sub being diminished and with dosing only once a day at these small doses.
While I have considered just going ahead and trying to quit, I feel just crappy enough in the morning to go ahead and dose. And that's okay.....I know I'm making progress!
Interestingly....I had a huge wave of emotion hit this morning. It was over one of the videos that is circling around with the deceased man in the street and his dog staying at his side.... Oh brother!!! It just got me going!! I bawled and bawled, until my own little dog got real worried about me!! It's been a while since I have felt a big rush of emotion like that and it was, well, cleansing and it felt good, in an odd sort of way. I used to be like that, before abusing opiates.....crying at Kleenex commercials and whatnot, crying during worship at church, crying about something small that my kids did that made me proud, etc.
Now, if I could just my motivation going!! I have a feeling this will be the slowest to return. But I'm okay with it for now....no choice. As long as I can find enough motivation to get done what needs done, that's just gonna have to be enough for today.
I long for the day when all this is over and I can feel it within reach like never before. And I'm grateful!!
Have a good weekend everyone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:37 pm 
(((((((Hugs)))))) and have a good weekend too. Motivation is highly overrated LOL!!

robin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

setmefree wrote:
This will make three days in a row of taking only one dose of ~0.25mg!!! That seems like such a miniscule amount, yet I know it isn't! At the same time, it's a hell of long way from 8-12 + mgs/day!! I feel that my receptors are really getting a little 'clear' time in, with the half-life of Sub being diminished and with dosing only once a day at these small doses.
While I have considered just going ahead and trying to quit, I feel just crappy enough in the morning to go ahead and dose. And that's okay.....I know I'm making progress!
Interestingly....I had a huge wave of emotion hit this morning. It was over one of the videos that is circling around with the deceased man in the street and his dog staying at his side.... Oh brother!!! It just got me going!! I bawled and bawled, until my own little dog got real worried about me!! It's been a while since I have felt a big rush of emotion like that and it was, well, cleansing and it felt good, in an odd sort of way. I used to be like that, before abusing opiates.....crying at Kleenex commercials and whatnot, crying during worship at church, crying about something small that my kids did that made me proud, etc.
Now, if I could just my motivation going!! I have a feeling this will be the slowest to return. But I'm okay with it for now....no choice. As long as I can find enough motivation to get done what needs done, that's just gonna have to be enough for today.
I long for the day when all this is over and I can feel it within reach like never before. And I'm grateful!!
Have a good weekend everyone!

Wow, woman, you are just blazin' along like nobody's business! I do recommend that you let your body 'catch up' before you jump....but then again, I think I'm doing the longest taper in history, lol. I completely identify with the crying thing, but thinking it's also kinda nice to be crying. :D You will get your motivation back. I promise! I've got mine back, for the most part, and much of the time, I have extra. I guess that's one reason I'm going so slowly...I don't want to start dragging all the time again.

Just a thought...if you are dosing in the morning, you could wait until you feel fine on .25 and then start dosing later and later each day to space your doses out more and more. You could also try dropping to .125 before jumping. For some reason, it wasn't that tough for me to drop from .25 to .125, but that may be because I let myself get used to the .25 first.

You are insanely close already! I really am excited for you!!

laddertipper

Post subject: Whoa!!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:14 pm 
Whoa there!!!....That's where I'm at now!! After the 5th day at only ~0.25mg/day, the withdrawal has started to get more of a kick to it. I still can't say it even really comes close to full agonist withdrawal, but it ain't a walk in the park either! I woke up at 4am yesterday morning and could NOT go back to sleep and had a hell of time falling asleep last night even with an Ambien and a Clonidine. Again....with my cold turkey full agonist w/d, there was NO sleep for days, so any sleep is better than that situation, but still, sleep problems suck. Surprisingly (to me) the restless legs have not been too bad, but the leg pain is getting more intense (this was something that was very severe with my other w/d) and it scares me that this particular symptom is going to get severe. Mentally, I'm actually a tiny bit better, I think. I'm getting things done and staying busy which is going to be a key for me getting through this, I believe.
So....I have stuck with the 0.25mg/day, unable to delay dosing beyond the morning hours as yet. In fact, dosed at ~5am that morning that I woke up in pretty bad w/d (my pupils were pretty dilated which confirmed for me that indeed this is w/d.)
Laddertipper and others are correct....If you don't want to get too uncomfortable with your taper/quit, you'll have to listen to your body and slow down if needed. For me, at this point, it's going to take a hell of a bad day to get me to take any extra Sub. I'm just determined not to go back up. That being the case, I am willing to tolerate a bit more in the way of physical discomfort to get this done sooner than later. I am, however, going to hang here at the 0.25mg/day for as long as it takes for the w/d to subside and my body/brain to adapt.
Oddly, the w/d symptoms are almost something I'm able to embrace (in a way) because it tells me I'm actually getting somewhere. On the other hand, it's a fine line between embracing a milder w/d symptom versus the horror of full-blown w/d. So we'll see how it goes.

Post subject: know what you mean!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

laddertipper wrote:

You go girl!!!!!

Congrats to both of you!
Ladder-I didnt feel anything negative from the drop to 2mg until like a week later, then had the EXACT same thing as you-a delayed wd experience.
Weird huh?
Good luck guys!

laddertipper

Post subject: woops
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:50 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Congrats to both of you!
Ladder-I didnt feel anything negative from the drop to 2mg until like a week later, then had the EXACT same thing as you-a delayed wd experience.
Weird huh?
Good luck guys!

sorry i meant to post that AFTER i quoted....lol.
Love reading your posts-good job you guys-It is inspiration for sure!