It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:56 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey it's been a very long time since I've posted on these forums, but I'm having constant trouble with the doc/counselor i'm currently seeing. These assholes have made this whole process absolutely miserable over the past couple years, where before around the time i started there were great people working there that truly cared about their patients. Anyhow now it is constant stress, which it shouldnt be where i piss clean every time and try to be in depth & active with my counselor and such. but all they do at appts now is threaten and go over past months balance over and over to make sure ive paid every dime, which i have. Starting a few months ago the doctor starting messing up the counts on my prescriptions, and every time i called in about it i was chastised and accused of using too many or diverting them. the last few he messed up i had the mind to talk it over with the pharmacist first and make certain both our counts matched, which they always had anyway. they fixed the last couple, not without telling me i was on "thin ice". /sigh. so now this past month i actually had a real problem, without going into too much detail, i woke one morning with these nasty headaches that were constant morning til night. ended up i got no real cure for them until almost two weeks later, in the meantime being in some of the most miserable goddamn pain u could imagine. doc prescribed some migraine stuff to no effect, i ended up takin about 2-3x my dose of sub for almost a week just so i get manage to get some sleep.now im obviously very short, but i can make my script last if i have to. what im worried about is the doc/counselor said i would be called in at random for a count this month (cause of their fuck-ups), and obviously ill be a good deal short. they also told me id be kicked if i was off even a hair. ive been over this with my family physician and the other 2 or 3 docs i saw at the er/hospital. they all said it should be no big deal i had some very legitimate issues going on and to just call them and tell em what happened. but given the nature of the bastards im not so sure it is, only other idea is to have a family member tell em i went south for the holidays when and if they call. (got no cell phone atm). so any thoughts/ideas on this unnecessary lil predicament im in would be appreciated. thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:31 pm 

Hi S.I.F.,

My first thought is to find another doctor who isn't such an A-****! Is that possible? There really isn't much you can do except to tell the truth if asked. Have your regular doctors phone number available so as to back up your story about the headaches. And even though they said you'd be count checked, it's still a 50/50 chance they won't.

Expand your search area out 100 miles or more to see how many Suboxone doctors are available. Do whatever you can to find a normal doctor who treats addicts with compassion, not punishment. To kick someone out for such minor things is abuse in my book. They are in it for the wrong reasons. A friend of mine drove over a hundred miles to come see my doctor once a month. Do what you need to do for decent treatment.

There isn't anything you can do. Just show up on time for your next appt. and go from there. I won't tell you to lie. That always has a way of biting you later on.

Good luck finding a new one. If that is impossible, be as nice as you can be until you can switch to another one.

rule

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

rule62 wrote:
Hi S.I.F.,

My first thought is to find another doctor who isn't such an A-****! Is that possible? There really isn't much you can do except to tell the truth if asked. Have your regular doctors phone number available so as to back up your story about the headaches. And even though they said you'd be count checked, it's still a 50/50 chance they won't.

Expand your search area out 100 miles or more to see how many Suboxone doctors are available. Do whatever you can to find a normal doctor who treats addicts with compassion, not punishment. To kick someone out for such minor things is abuse in my book. They are in it for the wrong reasons. A friend of mine drove over a hundred miles to come see my doctor once a month. Do what you need to do for decent treatment.

There isn't anything you can do. Just show up on time for your next appt. and go from there. I won't tell you to lie. That always has a way of biting you later on.

Good luck finding a new one. If that is impossible, be as nice as you can be until you can switch to another one.

rule

Thanks for the response rule. yea thats the real kick in the dink, i live up in northern maine and theres really nothing or nobody around besides this place, or i wouldve switched a year ago. i'm not that much a glutton for punishment. theres a couple other places 100 miles or so south, but im without a driver's license for a bit, and from what i know they only dispense methadone. things are getting pretty desperate in this state concerning suboxone/methadone maintenance, etc., and its only going to get worse. It's awful man the whole area up here is just rotting away. i had a close friend not too long who had just gotten done a 5 year stint and his mind was on the right track, he acknowledged he had little control over his problem and unless he could get help and on a program soon he'd probably be back behind bars. anyway i helped him as much as i possibly could but he ended up getting dicked around, frustrated, and depressed by the whole process. not to mention the 6 month waiting line. who wouldnt? anyway he's back doing even more time now. it's tragic cause he's a wonderful human being with all kinds of ambition and talent, but once youre in the system, and addicted, fuck man. and of course theres thousands and thousands of cases just like his. im not sure about the rest of the country, but times are rougher than theyve ever been up here, and you can almost feel the desperation hanging in the air. i dunno suboxone has completely turned things around for me, i'm doing well besides all the unnecessary stress, finally started my own business doing something i love, after enduring construction work for half my life. maybe after things clear up a bit after this month i'll post some products of mine in case anyone has an interest. ive been lucky to stay in this program as long as i have up here and i fear it's not gonna last much longer. despite the fact ive been in complete compliance for years. it's a shame they have nothing but these types working at this facility now, the kind that get off holding such a thing over ppl's heads.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:27 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really dislike punitive treatment programs.... to the point where I don't blame people for finding ways around pill counts, etc. There is so much attention to 'diversion' that the whole issue of addiction-- an inability to control use of a substance-- seems to be forgotten. It seems to me that signs that a patient needs help should result in greater stepping up to help the patient with the illness-- not a chance to toss the person from treatment.

I doubt you will help the situation by describing your headaches. You would essentially be saying that you think that you still have the right to act as your own doctor-- something that addiction treatment is supposed to eliminate. Even doctors are not allowed to treat their own pains by taking a controlled substance that they think is indicated-- not legally, anyway. It is never considered legitimate for someone to change the use of a controlled substance without being directed by a prescriber who is not himself/herself.

If you run short, reduce your dose ASAP until you are caught up again. If you search my blog for 'optimizing absorption', you will find that you can take half a tab per day without any withdrawal. Beyond that.... being out of town sounds like a reasonable reason to miss a pill count, assuming you don't have any rules that require you to let the doc know about travel in advance.

Understand that more and more, regulators are demanding that docs do some of the things that cause headaches for patients. I've said this before, but somehow doctors have to get themselves back in control of decisions about health care- rather than people who've never attended a biology course.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 2:23 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I want to let you know I have experienced a *very* similar situation. I started at a clinic whose doctors and counselors were wonderful, but as time went on they stared to just get nasty, burned out, and downright mean even to the patients that never cause a problems. The other thing is that information was being given out that was contradictory depending on who you saw, and given I am a patient who has surgery a lot when the information about how to deal with surgery started becoming different from the staff that is when I realized something was seriously wrong. They are like all other addiction staff, they come into it with rosy thoughts but then they see all the crap that can happen with addicts and they become uncaring and just burnt out but don't do anything about it.

I know we can be hard to deal with and many of us do things to our doctors that could drive people crazy but alas that is the nature of the beast.

I left there in tears many times, frustrated about how I was being treated and the different information I was getting. The last time I went I was told that when going through surgery I am to stay on my suboxone and the doctor will give me 10mg percocet instead of 5mg percocet and all will be fine and that this was what the clinic told my surgeon to do. I freaked out, I know myself and there are records of what worked in the past and this was so far off the course I lost it. I hit the roof. I was amazed at how little this person know about what he was talking about and I was one of the first patients this clinic started with. In effect I knew more than he did and I just started crying because surgery was 2 days away and they had promised to work with my surgeon like they had done in the past to create a program that would work.

Anyway, enough of my sob story, what I did was I instantly got online, I found another doctor in my area that prescribed and I immediately contacted them. This person is in private practice and the system there is so much easier, you always see the doctor, it is so much more laid back and this guy knows his stuff. In fact after the surgery I went to him and he made sure I was pain free for the recovery and was actually upset at what my surgeon had prescribed because he knew I would never have any relief from what he gave me. Anyway, please find another doctor, preferably one who is in practice for themselves and doesn't do it clinic style.

I do wish you luck and if you live in Massachusetts I can help you, just let me know.

Jennifer