It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I know others have said they are super sensitive to smells during sub withdrawal. I experienced this during my sub withdrawal as well. I remember working up the motivation to cook a dinner with sausage and wondering what the hell was wrong with it. When I asked my girlfriend what she thought she looked at me like I had two heads. "I have no idea what you are smelling." During the withdrawals I noticed a weird odor coming from my nostrils. I assumed this was the natural smell of my nose but I was only noticing it because of my situation.

Here I am months later and I still smell that same odor from my nostrils. I'll try to clean my nose out and it only stirs the odor up and makes it worse. Did anyone on this forum ever experience anything like this? When I google this I find that others have had this issue, but not from any sort of opiate w/d. The explanation was simply that they have some kind of upper respiratory infection. The main difference is that they smell this odor mainly after they blow their nose. They can smell it on the tissue. I am not having that happen to me. I can only notice the relatively faint smell at random times just sitting around. The smell only seems to happen when my nose is clear/dry with some residue on the walls.

I would love to know if anyone has heard of this happening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm sorry - I wish I could help you, but I've never heard of this, either with or without suboxone. Maybe someone else will come along. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Rosettastoned wrote:
I know others have said they are super sensitive to smells during sub withdrawal. I experienced this during my sub withdrawal as well. I remember working up the motivation to cook a dinner with sausage and wondering what the hell was wrong with it. When I asked my girlfriend what she thought she looked at me like I had two heads. "I have no idea what you are smelling." During the withdrawals I noticed a weird odor coming from my nostrils. I assumed this was the natural smell of my nose but I was only noticing it because of my situation.

Here I am months later and I still smell that same odor from my nostrils. I'll try to clean my nose out and it only stirs the odor up and makes it worse. Did anyone on this forum ever experience anything like this? When I google this I find that others have had this issue, but not from any sort of opiate w/d. The explanation was simply that they have some kind of upper respiratory infection. The main difference is that they smell this odor mainly after they blow their nose. They can smell it on the tissue. I am not having that happen to me. I can only notice the relatively faint smell at random times just sitting around. The smell only seems to happen when my nose is clear/dry with some residue on the walls.

I would love to know if anyone has heard of this happening.

Hey, I don't know about months out from Sub, but I definitely have this weird symptom and have had it all during tapering on and off. A number of us have talked about it and how we put Ivory soap or chapstick on our nostrils, lol. As far as months out, I would think it would be very possible that this is part of your PAWS experience. What are the chances that you have this exact same symptom (that is common during w/d) some months later but for an entirely new reason? I cannot recall exactly how much you jumped from or how long it has been, but PAWS from Sub can last a good while. It has to do with your central nervous system and that's where all these weird things, like the smell thing, originate. Do you notice that it is gradually getting better? If so, it's probably a lingering effect of stopping Sub and will go away completely.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:16 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I get the "smells" more than I care for too. They're not constant, but they happen more than I care for. Most of the times the smell is.........Hmmm.........funky for lack of a better word. But then the other day I opened a drawer up here at the house and you know that strong wood smell you get from new wood, that crazy smell was with me all day!!!

It's like a smell gets stuck in my nose, but after reading what you said, I don't think it's our noses, it's our brains. The smells that get stuck are always a STRONG smell, usually a funky smell, but then when that wood smell got stuck the other day, it really got me to thinking, WTH is going on?? Honestly, I figured it was due to my heavy cocaine use, I figured the cocaine had burned the hell out of something in my nose and that's why I was getting these smells stuck in my nose??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:03 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I get some smells now... it does sorta smell like infecion but I am healthy and not ill at all. It started once I jumped off sub but I also went to sao for a bit.....now that I think about it.. It been a while since I noticed it.