It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Senate bill,s2645
PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:46 pm 

As the title says, there is a bill efore the senate that if passed will raise the patient ceiling for heath providers. We all know how difficult it can be to find a Dr. for treatment.

This bill could help in this matter. Also, the bill states that PA's and NP's could also perform and treat addicts.

No one should have to wait days, weeks even months on d d to receive this life saving treatment. The time has come for change and real help for these addicts .
I hope you will join me in contacting your US senator and tell them to vote Yes on senate bill 2645..

The life you save may be your own...Thanks

Razor R...

Post subject: Re: Senate bill,s2645
PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:42 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Razor, Thank you so much for posting this info. I hope you don't mind that I changed it to a sticky. This is important information that we may need to stay on top of for awhile if we want this thing to pass.

From the brief research I did it looks like S2645 (also referred to as the TREAT act) is stuck in the Committee stage. It has been assigned to the Senate Committee of Health, Education, Labor and Pensions. And it's up to the committee chairperson whether or not it ever moves passed the committee stage and gets voted on by the senate.

I hope that all of our members will do what they can to encourage their senators to vote yes on this bill if it ever does come on the floor.

For now, they are not releasing the names of the Senators on the Committee so there isn't much we can do to push them. We can, however, contact the Sponsor/Co-Sponsors of the bill if we live in their districts and see if there is anything else we might do to help them.

Sponsor - Edward "Ed" Markey (D-MA)

Co-Sponsors-

Sherrod Brown (D-OH)
Richard Durbin (D-IL)
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Mazie Hirono (D-HI)
John "Jay" Rockefeller (D-WV)
Carl Levin (D-MI)

If this bill is passed as it is written it will remove the patient cap for doctors who have been treating patients with Suboxone for at least one year making it possible for them to treat an unlimited number of addicts. Not to mention making it possible for Nurse Practitioners and other medical professionals to prescribe and treat patients. It would be a huge step toward increasing the availability of treatment to those who need it!

If anyone else has any information to add to this please feel free to post it here. I encourage anyone who lives in the districts of the Senators listed above to make some calls and send some emails and report here any information or responses they receive in this thread.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:17 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I had looked at this bill earlier, (last fall) then the sponsor and co-sponsors. All democrats. If they couldn't get it out of committee last year when they had control the chance now is really slim in this partisan environment where they politicize everything. It is an important and needed bill but...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:05 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I had the same thought-- all 'D's, but it didn't leave committee when the D's controlled the Senate-- so it needs Republicans to sign on. I'll send a letter to Ron Johnson's office (R), WI-- for what it's worth. Thanks much for the info to the folks above!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:25 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm in Houston, Texas, and I wrote my congressman a letter in regards to this bill. I'm Republican, and even though the bill is sponsored by Democrats, I'm smart enough to discern between "politics along party lines", and a good, smart bill that helps everyone. I read the bill, and it really can help thousands more people. Unfortunately, too many people are closed minded, and when they see a bill brought up by one party or the other, they don't take the time to properly evaluate it, and make a common sense call. Addiction doesn't have a political party, and we all know that even people in the highest offices have been afflicted with this disease.

Thanks for pointing this out to the forum, anyone who has a heart should VOTE for this bill to pass.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:09 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I decided to look up my senators website last night and send him a letter about this bill.

What luck! He is actually the Chairperson for this committee!

Anyone else in TN, please send Senator Lamar Alexander a letter, email, or call his office about this bill. I intend to get an email and a snail mail letter drafted today.

If anyone else is interested, there is a list of the other members of this committee on Lamar Alexander's website.

Q

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:29 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Can we also make this information available to those unlikely to look at posts in legal issues? This is critical. I am a Democrat but smart enough to know that Rush Limbaugh is a Republican and would have (or still might) benefited from buprenorphine. Republicans could grease this stuck wheel and it would be great!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Call me an idealist but I believe the bill has a pretty good chance of being brought back and voted in. I've been following it in the media very closely and it actually has a lot of support. Not to mention all the stories about the current opiate epidemic that will fuel this bills progress. I would suggest people call or email their reps and ask them to support this bill. There's no limit on how many times you can call either. You can even request a meeting with them when they're not in DC. Here's a link to find your state representative. http://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:07 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The cap could also be raised through executive action-- or through selective non-enforcement, the same way that deportation laws and 'sanctuary cities' are ignored. There should be a national dialogue over any issue that is the second leading cause of death, wouldn't you think?

The issue is common enough that you don't need to look at Limbaugh-- I'm sure that most members of Congress have friends or family members who have lost someone to addiction. It is hard to find anyone who hasn't been touched by it in my home town.

The lobbyists on one side include the traditional treatment industry-- a business that is very profitable and very busy right now, even though it does little to help opioid addicts. Then there is law enforcement, who worry that an increase in the cap will lead to buprenorphine films fluttering in the streets... (which would probably result in a dramatic drop in overdose deaths!)

There just aren't enough deep pockets pushing to raise the cap. The addiction societies are wimps who have never lobbied strongly for medication-assisted treatment. And while people love to bash 'big pharma', there are only a small handful of companies willing to get into the buprenorphine business. The largest one has not done well, and was spun off from Reckitt Benckiser (now it is called Indivior) to avoid hurting Reckitt's stock. In the year since the spin-off, Reckitt is up 10%.... and Indivior up 0.

So who is left to push for raising the cap? (this is where someone yells 'WE ARE!!!', by the way).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:29 pm 

WE ARE!!!!!

Here is a link to contact your elected officials about this matter: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials

Once I get my paper done today I will try to write something up that you could copy and paste into an email to your legislators. When I get it done I will post it here. But feel free to use your own words!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:55 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I'm sure this will be in the news the next few days, but CNN reports that the cap will be raised from 100 to 200 patients per doc for bupe treatment. The issue is the # of doctors authorized to prescribe. So it looks on the surface that improvements/access to treatment is becoming available...now we'll see how the treatment centers react. At least it looks like bupe advocacy is moving forward, this will prompt more studies about MAT, and so hopefully years down the road, the numbers will prove with out a doubt that bupe works.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

The bill has passed just incase anyone is not informed of the yet.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, but with changes. The initial bill simply raised the cap. The bill negotiated with the President added limitations. Doc boarded in addiction medicine-- a distinct minority of buprenorphine prescribers-- can increase to 275 after at least a year at 30 and a second year at 100. Docs like me who are boarded in psychiatry (for me, psychiatry and anesthesiology) can't increase unless we are 'approved practices'-- which requires using electronic medical records, accepting obamacare insurance, working in the 'team model' with therapists, submitting reports to the Feds each year, and other requirements. I would have to make drastic changes, to a high-volume, shorter-appointment type of practice in order to comply- so I'm staying at 100.