It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

How many replies do you read in a thread before you post?
I read everything. It's good to know all the information so I can offer my best insights to my peers. 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
I'll read the starting post, then quickly scan over the other replies before voicing my opinion. 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
I read the first post & say my bit. There's only so much of me to go around u know 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Anyone who reads more than the topic before posting doesn't deserve my time. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Why do I have to scroll down so far to re-read my posts? 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm interested in knowing this. Sometimes I jump the gun with posting replies, and just scan it over quickly.

What really brought this on is the old idea that got bashed into my brain back in the 12 step days - "the self-obsession of the addict" - blah blah. Anyway, I still think this is kind of true. But does this apply to people on suboxone / drug replacement?

Do people on this forum reply without fully reading over other people's opinions more than other places? And I'm not being judgemental. I'll confess guilt. Maybe I just wanna feel better about myself for being a prick sometimes. After all, it is all about me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:16 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I almost always read all of the responses, most just to get an idea of the whole conversation/discussion going on. Plus sometimes it's just to avoid redundancy.

I have a question for you: As a non-12-stepper, what is "the self-obsession of the addict". I get the general idea, but I'm honestly curious of how it specifically relates to addiction, 12-step meetings, and remission with suboxone. Thanks in advance.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

If I remember right, the self-obsession idea comes from the fact that as addicts we indulged in selfish and self-seeking behaviour & put our needs before others. ie staying at the pub and forgetting to pick up the kids from school. Picking up the kids drunk. Spending little Johnnie's college fund on smack. Generally behaving in a way that's oblivious to the pain and suffering they're causing around them.

And here's the catch. NA people believe that we carry this stuff into our recovery as well, and one way to get rid of the self obsession is to do service for NA & help the newcomer. Basically doing anything for someone else. So hatmaker, I could say that your service to suboxforum & quick replies is kinda like that. Helping other people thus helping yourself.

As addicts we've forgotten how to care about others, because caring about others was too painful while we screwed them over.

As much as I bash NA, there are some good concepts and ideas I do agree with.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:10 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I do think I can be self absorbed at times, but I generally read everything. If I open a thread I try to read all of it. Every once in a while when short on time I will read the original post, scan the rest, and then reply. Sometimes I read the whole thread and say nothing. It depends on how much time I have on my hands. But I like to see what other people have to say and have learned a lot from doing so.

-Jack

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:39 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, tearj3rker for the explanation. I see what you mean. Based on people I know on sub as well as the folks on this forum, it's my opinion that this self-obsession is not very prevalent once one is on suboxone (in remission/recovery). So many people return to a "normal" life. Many do what they can to make up for things they did in active addiction. Plus the fact that we're no longer chasing a high as the priority in our lives enables us to care for others. I know that's what happened with me. I'd say that people who are in NA and not on ORT can still have cravings that are often foremost in their mind, therefore still trying to attend to their own needs first. Hope that makes sense. Interesting subject - thanks for bringing it up and again, for the clarification.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.