It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Seeing The Doctor
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on 8 mg in the morning and 4 mg at night. I have a doctors appointment this week and I am a little nervous. First of all my doctor is very nice but very to the point. He will literally see you for 3 minutes and just like that your apointment is over. I know that he as going to ask me if I am ready to decrese my dose of suboxone from 12 mg a day to 8mg a day. And I do believe that I am ready but again a little nervious. What if something happen and I need to take more of the suboxone for some reason. It seems like just this weekend I had the thought that I wanted to go to the hoslipal to get drugs. That used to be the greatest place to go. I know deep down it is not right but it is so hard. :(

I have been off any drugs and taking suboxone for about 6 weeks now. jsut keep asking myself all of these questions and confusing myself more.

If anyone has any advise I would be so happy to hear from you!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:32 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

In my opinion, 6 weeks is a pretty short duration for suboxone. It takes a while to change your old habits and thought processes. It doesn't sound like you are ready to be off of it and if I were you I would be honest with the doctor about that. The relapse rate post discontinuation of suboxone is extremely high. That doctor from Australia who posted on Dr. Junig's blog the other day said that in Australia a doctor would be highly criticized by his peers and possibly reported if they recommended a patient discontinue suboxone.

When I started suboxone my first question was when can I get off of it. My doctor recommended I stay on it at least 6 months. Over time I figured out that I am best off just staying on suboxone. But that was a decision I did not take lightly and took time. You have to start thinking about what you think might be best for you and part of that is deciding on what kind of doctor is best for you. You may want to explain how you are feeling to your doctor and see what his reaction is. If he isn't even open to longer term suboxone use, then you have some thinking to do. Is it better to put your health in his hands and just follow the course and see what happens? How will you feel/react if you are constantly pressured into tapering? Would you be better off with a different doctor?

This is part of the reason I think suboxone trials need to be longer. It takes time to process this addiction and realize how serious it is, how long term it is, the nature of it and how it works, look at statistics, etc. Part of recovery is learning to get off auto pilot. How can you do that if a doctor is kind of forcing you to remain on auto pilot? What about the patient learning to make GOOD choices for themselves and bouncing those off the doctor so the doctor can help them to do so?

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

What makes you think your doctor is going to suggest you start tapering? I agree with Jackcrack - just be honest and tell him/her that you're still having cravings. That's what I'd call wanting to go to the hospital for drugs - a craving. And since you are having cravings still, now is not the best time to taper down, much less off. I wish you the very best. Let us know how it goes this week.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:26 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Booda,

I would completly agree with the others. 6 weeks is really not long at all! I would be honest with your Dr. and tell him about your cravings and how your feeling. If he really insists a reduction I wouldn't suggest going from 12mgs to 8mgs all in one shot. Maybe 12mgs to 10mgs and only if your comfortable with that. We have alot to change about ourselves and suboxone gives us a chance to do just that. Now is the time to work on what got us into the pills and how we can change it.

Good luck keep us posted!

Post subject: Going to Doctor
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I guess that I must have a bad doctor. I litterally go into his office and he spends 3 minutes with every person. I guess I need to find another doctor. Oh Boy!!! I don't even know where to start. This is a very scary this for me. The only person I have to talk to about this is my husband and he has a really hard time understanding this as he does not have an addiction problem. That is why I am so thankful to have found all of you.

Booda :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:10 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I agree also.Ive been on subs. for about 3 years now on and off,(relapsed a couple times when I couldnt get my subs)My Doc has never asked me to taper.I know people who have been on much longer also.Sounds to me that if you are having cravings,that you may need to increase your dose.Thats just my opinion.Good luck!