It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So Im going to see an internist today...had some elevated blood counts I have to look into

Q: how have your other drs been with you when they hear suboxone....are you treated like differently...Im curious...
Be honest

Ive read some drs dont,like treating sub pts

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:00 am 

My regular doctor, whom I've had since about 2000 is really proud of me for being on suboxone. She is very supportive, and was one of the first people to call me out on a slight "doctor shopping" incident a couple years prior to me using all the time.

I have not yet seen a doctor who is not aware of my history. Like you, I'm not really looking forward to that. I won't be talked down to, however. I will advocate for myself and suboxone every chance I get.

Good luck!

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:49 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I never received suboxone from a doctor. However I just recently have had two incidents with two different doctors on my situation, of trying to stop suboxone.

One acted very friendly. However I could still tell he was not knowledgeable and ended up offering me all the WRONG things. I didn't care for this experience very much. I'm pretty sure they googled what suboxone even was, based on how long it took for them to come back into the room every time.

My second trip to the doctor, and it was a new guy. He seemed not at all interested in my situation. He basically sat on his phone looking at an APP that tells him what he can possibly give for the situation.

Most doctors have no idea. Or are very ignorant to what Suboxone is. I wouldn't feel shy, you're prescribed the medication. Who cares what they think. If they ask explain that it's helping you, and be proud you aren't where you could possibly be without it.

My 2 cents,

-WTBF

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:50 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Personally, if what I'm seeing a physician for has nothing at all to do with my addiction history, Suboxone use, a pain problem, etc....I do not divulge. I just don't see any good that can come from it. I don't want to subject myself to being treated with any bias or to be stereotyped in any way.
I'm not saying this is the "best" practice or the morally right thing...it's just the way I feel about it. I've been through enough trauma and drama regarding my addiction already, and I just don't need the judgment. Sure, there are some doctors who aren't like that and will treat you with the respect you deserve for being in recovery, but I won't take the chance if I don't have to.
I doubt that your blood counts are "off" because of your Suboxone use. If it does turn out to be that the issue is drug or alcohol abuse or potentially Suboxone related, I'd probably go ahead and divulge. Otherwise, as I said, I'm just not up for the potential for being treated differently than anyone else. I've been guilted and shamed enough, thank you very much!
You follow your own gut, though. Many folks in recovery circles believe that complete honesty in every situation is critical and to not disclose is very detrimental and I'm not going to argue with that premise. It's just entirely up to you. Sometimes you can get a "feel" for the doctor pretty quick and you'll know if it's a good idea or not. The other issue that concerns me about disclosing is the thought that doing so to another doctor is just another piece of documentation of your addiction history...more of a paper trail which is subject to review by insurance carriers, other healthcare professionals, etc. Seems like, privacy legislation or not, our information is becoming more and more readily available to potentially be used against us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Barely I agree with your post. If it had a like button, I'd like it!

WTBF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello, Can you tell us how it turned out? Did you find out what was causing the high (was it white cell or red) cell counts? Not grilling, wondering, concerned, hoping that it is not the suboxone, or whether that since you are taking suboxone it has affected your care.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:53 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Cd65 wrote:
So Im going to see an internist today...had some elevated blood counts I have to look into

Q: how have your other drs been with you when they hear suboxone....are you treated like differently...Im curious...
Be honest

Ive read some drs dont,like treating sub pts
xcvzxcvxvxcvx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

afsdj;ewoietwasfdjk;xzcvm,n.fduioho

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:54 pm 

Why are we all just typing random letters now? I have a feeling that TJ was just ironically responding in kind.

What gives?

Amy