It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:32 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been on Suboxone maintenance since the day my doctor was approved to script it, 7-8 yrs ago, I forget. I have battled addiction my whole life from street drugs to pharmy drugs and everything inbetween. I have been through countless rehabs, jails, institutions, doctors, meds, methadone, geographical cures, you name it I tried it.

Suboxone definitely worked for me I havent touched heroin in over 4 years and have been taking Suboxone for 8'ish years. So you can clearly see the overlap in the beginning of my Sub use. I used to order the old Temegesic .2mg's while I was waiting for the FDA to approve bupe for opiate therapy. I also just kicked a 8 yr Klonopin and Ativan [benzo] habit and that was truly a horrendous battle, to say it mildly.

Currently I take >1mg insufflated daily. It holds me but Suboxone is starting to wear on me after all these years. Depression caused from long term sub use? Say it isnt so... I have gotten of subs 2 times in the past 8 yrs and the w/d's were next to nothing. Lately I have seem to be reading that alot of people are saying bupe detoxes are bad and I hate to see that because it drops that thought into 'someones' head and BOOM a pretty good chance their w/d/detox will be bad. One thing I have learned thru my years of addiction is that mental suggestion of how a certain detox or w/d is going to be effects it greatly. You think its going to be a rough detox chances are it will be. You have to keep positive and tricking the brain helps ;)

Anyways... I have kept a blog concerning my addiction/recovery/debauchery for the last 4 years give or take. I used to post at the now defunct Junkylife website that was loosely affiliated with opiophile. So if you would like to read more of my story or just like that genre of writing come on over and hit me up.

My addiction/recovery blog: [cant link yet but just search google: Seedlesss heroin blog wordpress]
seedlesss,wordpress

Peace,
Seedless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:06 pm 
deleted

Last edited by Payton on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:01 pm 
Ha! I'm on a roll today! Been posting away this morning, so why not go again!!!??? Payton - you have done a beautiful job posting your experiences of late! You made it clear from the beginning that you knew you did not do a proper taper. You never bashed Suboxone and you've never discouraged anyone from starting Sub because of what you've gone through. We've pretty much all (I think even you) said that the mind plays a big role in our withdrawal experience. We all can acknowledge that. However, there are physical manifestations of opiate withdrawal that, I'm sorry, cannot be avoided no matter how "right" or "positive" your mind is!! If anything, Payton, I think you've been pretty gentle in your descriptions of your symptoms. I know you've been going through hell and I think you're doing really well all things considered. You admittedly stopped Suboxone at a very unrecommendedly high dose and unfortunately this is your price to pay. Not that you deserve it because you don't, but it's not Suboxone's fault, right? I think most of us here appreciate your sharing your journey so we can learn from it. So please don't be discouraged from continuing!
Seedless - welcome to the forum. It's always nice to have someone new to share with and to learn from. It sounds like you've had a pretty interesting journey! What's up with snorting your Suboxone? Maybe you'll say something about the bioavailability being higher or something like that....if so, sorry...I think that's BS. The 'bioavailability theory' may not necessarily be BS. But the bottom line is you're abusing your medication. It is NOT intended to be snorted. It is a sublingual medication, intended to be absorbed through the oral mucousa. I'm sure you know all that though. Is your doctor okay with your route of administration? I don't get it....part of addiction recovery is changing those bad habits like taking medications in different dosages or by different routes than prescribed. How do you feel about that?
Anyway - again, glad you're here and keep posting!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: seedless
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Yes the power of suggestion can be a a strong influence on a persons mind. But the truth can be even more powerful and influential. Everyone is different and has their own unique taper and withdrawl experience. I believe we can most help others [and ourselves] by being truthful and relating our own story as we know it. We are [mostly] all adults here so others who come here and are considering a taper... can evaluate all the information and decide for themselves which avenue to take. There is no reason to withold or 'sugarcoat" the realities of opiate addicition.

The are also many variables to consider before making the decision to taper/detox. Age, duration of use, dosage level, health, employment and financial situation are a few. People who come here... not only become informed, but also educated in how these factors have related to those who have gone before them. And thats a good thing!

You've been on subs for a relativley long period and can be a wealth of info and help for younger guys and gals... if thats' your motivation?? On the other hand... if you came here to promote your blog/website, you won't be very well received.

I know this because I've made a very good living off the internet with my own websites... and over the years I've found that Forum users are quick to spot a new user with a website to promote. I'm not accusing you of this but it is a little suspect when you mention this in your first day of posting. So please excuse my thought process if your blog is altruistic and non profit in nature...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:00 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well this is what happens when I have a day off with not alot going on :) Think I've already made 3 other posts this morning/afternoon. I definately agree with you Seedless about how someone thinks their withdrawal will be influencing how it actually goes. I would like to make it clear though (as others have already in the previous posts) that if someone is admitting that they "jumped" off a larger dose of bupe and decides to journal about it I can't find anything wrong with that.

We've had several people here who seem to have really benefitted from documenting their discontinuation of the medication and reaching out to other opiate addicts for support/help. I believe Diary of a Quitter has an entire blog about her experiences. If someone was to intentionally try and make others fearful of starting Suboxone because they themselves had bad withdrawals as a result of their own choices that'd be a different story. So I'm assuming that's what you meant. All those that have tapered down have actually said they hardly noticed any withdrawals. I know that there have been times in my life when I just decided to do something one day and before I knew it was a day later and I figured I might as well keep going, for example, when I quit smoking earlier this year. I think in some ways that the fact that someone can jump from higher doses of bupe and still not use or even the fact that they're able to get out of bed says alot about bupe and its more mild acute withdrawals (compared to other opiates). I know when I've "jumped" off oxycodone and morphine in the past that it was difficult for me to even lay in the fetal position in my bed or stop my legs from jerking ("kicking"). There's no way in hell I could have written a journal let alone sit in a chair until at least a week after.

Welp I probably need to hop off here and get some laundry going :( and a couple other things. One last thing though you might talk to your dr. about trying some kind of anti depressant. I've personally even had success with such an approach. Final thought would be that if I were you I'd consider taking my Suboxone the way (and dosage) it says to take it on the label and the prescription your doctor wrote you. I've had to stop thinking of myself as a "doctor" since I've gotten clean which has been difficult but it's helped me to see that I'm not special and I need to follow the same rules as others.

Good luck and hope you feel free to keep posting
Matt