It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: C section and subutex
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So I will having a c-section in about 5 weeks. I am currently on 3mg of Subutex a day. I had a c-section in 07 and I was on the same amount of med. I stopped about 36 hours before surgery. I was surprised to see find that I did not need additional opiate meds other than what they would normally prescribe to a c-section patient. I believe I had Duramorph in the spinal and then percocet and Ibuprofen after that.

I guess I am wondering how this is possible. Everything the doc says on here states that I should have had a much higher tolerance (I didn't) and I should have stopped a lot sooner to feel the pain relief of the opiates. Anyone have any ideas on why it happened this way? I do have a super fast metabolism. That is the only reason I can think of. I am hoping my next c-section will go as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:10 am 
Hi Redheadmommy! Congratulations in advance on your new baby! I bet everything goes well again for you this time!
Are you having your C-Section at the same hospital, same doctor? I hope so since everything went so well last time.
In my experience as a nurse I can tell you a little about what I've observed with patients, etc over the years.
In Obstetrics, most docs try to use as little narcotics as possible. The Duramorph spinal is probably the best anesthetic for C-Sections! They almost always work great for pain control during the first 12-24 hours after surgery, reducing the need for opiate pain medications. Maybe your pain control was adequate with regular doses of pain meds because of your spinal. But I see what you mean - you'd think your tolerance would be really high. On the other hand - us addicts look for the buzz with our pain meds and sometimes forget about the true intent of the meds - pain management! Maybe sometimes we think our meds aren't working because we don't "feel" it, when in fact our pain is being relieved.
Another thing I was thinking - with childbirth there are so many "feel good" hormones released and we're so excited and busy with the new baby, I don't think we care quite as much about a little discomfort as we would otherwise. I know after my C-Section (before I became addicted to pain pills) I didn't even fill my Rx for narcotics when I went home. Yeah, I was sore and that dang incision burns, but I was fine with Advil.
Anyway - don't know really the true answer to your question medically speaking, but there's a few thoughts.
Best to you and your family! Let us know how everything goes!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the response Setmefree. Unfortunately I will be at a different hospital with a different doctor. I have talked to her about the meds I want and she was fine with it. I just had such great pain control I want to repeat that last experience! I also found that IM Toradol was a HUGE help with pain. The anti-inflammatories are great to take to increase the effectiveness of the opiates. I was impressed with the Duramorph. I think it didn't last the full 24hours but my doctor said it was normal and everyone reacts differently. Again, I think my metabolism has a huge role in that.

Yes, I did really well even with the take home meds they gave me. I don't really know how you did it on just motrin. I never could. But I do agree having a baby to focus on really helps. The other things I did were to have my husband control and dispense the meds and actually took them as directed (what a thought!). I also really questioned each time whether I was actually in true pain or just wanting the next dose. I tried to be really honest with myself. And I was surprised to find they just weren't "fun" like they were before. They just did their job of relieving pain.

I am so grateful for forums like these. There are two few places where people can honestly share their experiences with this drug and recovery. I will definitely post after surgery to let everyone know how it went.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:04 pm 
Yes, I should have mentioned the Toradol. Where I worked the regimen that was used for C-Sections was the Duramorph spinal and IV Toradol or IM if IV was out X 2 or 3 after surgery. It worked great! Other places don't do Duramorph spinals though, although most do use Toradol. Hopefully, the anesthesia group at your new hospital will do the Duramorph. If it's not done routinely I suppose you could request it.
I'm like you with the rapid metabolism thing - drugs seem to clear real quick for me too. Back in the day (14 years ago) when I had my Section - my baby ended up in NICU, and I wanted to be able to drive and get around and pain meds made me feel icky and sooo sleepy so I just didn't take them. Yeah it hurt, but I just kept telling myself it was only temporary and I did okay.
Great idea too to have your husband administer your meds so you couldn't take too many. I'm sure with your well thought out plan, you will do great!