It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: To renamae
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:46 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Renamae;

I wasn't sure how to respond to your first post because I don't want to badmouth suboxone at all (it is a lifesaver for many) but I also want to give you an honest answer. I agree with laddertipper about how difficult it is for us addicts to wean off of any drug, especially our drug of choice (mine was alcohol most of my life and I could not "wean" - just stop abruptly when my body could take no more after a binge). Same with opiates.

Here is what I wish I would have done instead of going on sub maintenance (note: not knocking sub maint. - just that I was only on opiates for 3 mos. and should have been given the option I'm about to explain). I've heard from many sources that detox centers (hospitals, rehabs, etc.) use suboxone to detox patients from opiates. Supposedly, by using it in the short term while inpatient, withdrawls are reduced considerably and they know how to dose and then taper the sub so that you can be relatively comfortable and not need to continue on sub maintenance... Just for me, I wish I'd gone that route. I was such a virgin to the whole opiate withdrawl experience that I just kindof listened to the advice I was given to go on maintenance. I realize that it may be difficult or impossible to go to inpatient detox and/or rehab for some. Also, maintenance for long term opiate addiction where the person has trouble staying off of street drugs for any period of time, might be the very best option. It just depends on the individual situation and circumstances.

I feel bad that my story scared you. And I can't answer as to what is your best course of action. What I can tell you is that whatever you decide, you will find invaluable support from the people on this site. Also, I am coming out the other side of my withdrawls after being on sub almost a year. It can definately be done - not at all easy - but it won't kill you - in fact, I'm hoping that the effort and strength I had to use to get through will stay with me and make me really really think twice and play the tape through before i go down the opiate road again. Today was another good day, I'm happy to report! I'm starting to feel like me again, friendly and girly and seeing things a bit more clearly... I gave myself a day of beauty (manicure/pedicure/haircut) and its been a good day. It really was/is worth it.

One more thing... GOOD FOR YOU that you are really investigating and making sure of your decision before jumping into anything! It will all work out in the end as long as you don't give up :) Best best wishes and thoughts your way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:25 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Aquasun, glad to hear you had a good day. The good days will soon outweigh the bad days, if they haven't already!

Renamae, I see where you said you have been on Norco and Opana for 5 years, what I'm not quite clear on is if you have been abusing them or not? If you have been abusing them, you may find it hard to taper off of them. If you haven't been abusing them, then you may find that you can taper down to a pretty low dose.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:11 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

CONGRATS Aqua.....

I wean down to a tiny crub and I did do as well as you. I thank you for posting this. Most other sites even after 6 mo to a yr they are complaining. Goes to show you how everyone body is different.

ANyways... thanks for posting.

To the guy who is thinking about weaning off the opiates... do you have someone that can dool the drug out to you? I read one chic mailed her self three day supply... not sure how this worked but she is clean today.

I also think for short term use sub might help negate some of the wd's but still if your have not done any work on yourself... well, things could go south. I would ask yourself if WHY you do drugs.. cant be for the high.. that dont last long enough so what is it that your not willing to deal with?

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi all -

First, thanks Birdie for your post... so happy to hear you were successful too!

Sorry I haven't been on for awhile; as the days go by and I feel better and better and more like myself, I find that I am busy doing "life" things and not taking as much time to check email and such. It's a great thing to WANT to go out and visit, talk to people, get the neverending projects done that I've been wanting to do for over a year but just couldn't motivate myself at all. I feel almost like the me I was before I picked up the drugs and I can tell you, I have more appreciation for just an average day / average life than I may have ever had before! My point is, I was having trouble seeing a light at the end of the tunnel and trouble believing I would ever feel anything near well again... and now, just 2 months after my last tapered dose of suboxone, I feel really quite good. So to anyone who is in the same boat, just know that it will get better (promise) and you aren't going crazy or dying of some undiagnosed disease (as I began to think!! lol)... it is really worth it to stick it out once you determine if it's the right time to taper and/or stop taking suboxone. When the really wonderful people on this site told me it would get better despite how I felt, that gave me just enough hope and faith to keep going. Thanks to Romeo, laddertipper, and all of you for the support and honest sharing. I just feel like i need to pay it forward by encouraging anyone else who might need it - which is why I'm giving this update about my continued success and how much better things really do get.

I still have alot of insomnia trouble (I stopped the ambien as I was totally becoming dependent on it and it barely worked, so now I take benadryl, ativan, or seroquel (all prescribed by my doc) on alternating nights so I can try to get some sleep. My GI issues are still ongoing but are more a nuisance than causing me any pain or discomfort. Other than that, I feel better than I have in a very very long time. Hubby is now thinking he wants to taper and stop within the next year (which to be honest, scares me a little) because he sees how good I'm feeling and doing - but he knows (as I do) that he will have to get back to his recovery (meetings, having some kind of program) before he can stop what to him is a life saving medication (suboxone). He's done it before (for almost 8 years) so we know it can be done, but his business and family stresses and health issues make it difficult to get his ducks in a row which he has to do in order to avoid relapse to heroin if and when he stops the sub. As usual, I'm rambling, just wanted to introduce another scenario where an addict on suboxone really benefits from it (despite icky side effects, too embarrassing to go into) and how in some situations, it's not just a matter of tapering and stopping (as I and others have done); it's also a matter of getting one's life put together before attempting what is a challenging and difficult process. In spite of all this, I know it can be done when the time is right. Now that I understand from personal experience, I can be a much better support and help to him if/when he decides to make the switch to non-sub recovery. (I say non-sub recovery because unlike some judgemental ppl in recovery meetings, I believe that recovery with suboxone is a very legitimate recovery... it's all in what is right for a particular addict! I loathe judgemental ppl, arghh).

Anyhow, I have been thinking about you guys on here and really hoping everyone is doing good. I need to find time to read some posts and find out how things are going for everyone. Joining this site was one of the best things I did in the past couple years - it has helped more than I can say - so thanks AGAIN!! Hope everyone had a nice Easter and if you live in the NorthEast where I do, let's hope it stops raining EVERY DAY so we can get outside and do some stuff - lol!!! Take care all :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

AquaSun,

Thanks so much for the awesome update. I wonder if you realize how many people you have just given HOPE to? I know you know just how important a story like yours can be to someone who is in the process of quitting Suboxone, a story like this could be that extra oomph they need to keep moving forward.

I'm so happy for you and so proud of you for sticking it out!! Way to go!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:12 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

CONGRATES AQUA... very nice to hear.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you Romeo. Your words gave me HOPE when I was feeling helpless and scared. You helped me more than you know which makes me want to do the same for others. All the best to ya :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:31 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

AquaSun,

You just made my week!!

You're too kind. Thanks!!

Post subject: Birdie, Romeo
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Birdie, thanks for the kind post... how are you doing? :)

Romeo... right back at ya buddy! :wink:

Post subject: Renamae, Laddertipper
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Been thinking about you both. How is the taper going ladder? You have such a good attitude which I know will go a long way toward helping you through... I hope things are going good for you as you surely deserve it! :)

And Renamae, have you been getting/finding the info. you are looking for to make a decision? I hope you don't let yourself get overwhelmed (which is easy to do) by all the info and options... go with what sits right with you. Anyhow, I'm thinking about you and hoping things are going well. I hope you keep posting :)